Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Manek Monday: UNC vs. Kansas (Mon 4/4, 9:20pm, TBS)

Really was hoping I would never have to use that thread title.

I've been informed that the NCAA Tournament continues even after Duke is eliminated, so here's a thread for the national championship game. Who will be king of basic cable?

This will be over by halftime. UNC will run Kansas out of the building.

UNC vs Duke was the title game.

Boycotting

Here’s four words I never thought I’d utter: Let’s go Kansas Jayhawks!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I can’t believe this thread is even here. Especially titled the way it is. Just another reminder. I feel like I’m on IC seeing that at the top of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Really was hoping I would never have to use that thread title.

I've been informed that the NCAA Tournament continues even after Duke is eliminated, so here's a thread for the national championship game. Who will be king of basic cable?
    We are all Jayhawkers on Monday.

Who says cheaters never win? It will be a matter of degrees but both these schools have shown to be ruler breaks.

I heard Avery Johnson say Carolina would win. I hope not. I think Self will figure out how to contain Love and Davis much better than Duke did. UNC may have an iron 5,but I would think Kansas should make them pay. They were excellent against Villanova. Any time Villanova got to 6 Kansas would answer.
    Duke failed to maintain a lead against UNC. They caved at Cameron and at Caesars SuperDome made no stops when it was crunch time in the game.

Kansa shouldn’t take them lightly. The heels have peaked at the perfect time. Sadly
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Kansa shouldn’t take them lightly. The heels have peaked at the perfect time. Sadly
    They have, sadly, and one thing they have is people who want to shoot the big shot. Say what you want about Manek, he hit three incredible shots last night. So did a couple other Heels. Down the stretch, looked like only Keels wanted that moment for us. Banchero lost interest in the big moment three. To put salve on the wound, I re watched "The Laettner Game" ESPN special last night...and this line stood out..."(Laettner) he more than anyone else lives for moments like that...he wanted to take the shot..."

Another thing, FTs...they had a reserve come in and without breaking a sweat, he knocked down two big FTs. We missed a handful.

I also don't get the "formulaic" keeping a guy on the bench with 2 fouls in the first half. I understand the formula, but there are times to break the formula. It is what it is...

I can’t believe this thread exists.

They actually made it to the championship game….

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    They have, sadly, and one thing they have is people who want to shoot the big shot. Say what you want about Manek, he hit three incredible shots last night. So did a couple other Heels. Down the stretch, looked like only Keels wanted that moment for us. Banchero lost interest in the big moment three. To put salve on the wound, I re watched "The Laettner Game" ESPN special last night...and this line stood out..."(Laettner) he more than anyone else lives for moments like that...he wanted to take the shot..."
    That is true, but only of the upperclassman Laettner. Remember his freshman year when he missed a crucial free throw and was consoled by none other than Richard Nixon. We didn't get to see his "killer" instinct until the next year. Not that it wasn't there the whole time, but it is a rare 18 year-old who shows it from the beginning.

What I'm really trying to say that seeing talented players and teams grow and mature over several years is part of the joy of watching college basketball, a joy that just isn't the same with the current trend of OADs. I understand the business nature of college sports and am not trying to start a discussion about how players have the right to make the best decision for their future. Of course they do. I'm just trying to say that the Duke basketball I fell in love with years ago isn't the same as it is now. I realize that it is my problem, and I do my best to adapt, but the bottom line is GET OFF MY LAWN!

Section 15
    (a graduate of the Vic Bubas basketball camp)

I think Leaky will shut down Ajbaji, Love, Davis and Manik will shoot lights out, Bacot will neutralize McCormick. Cheats win going away. CRAP!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    We are all Jayhawkers on Monday.
    This - Go Jayhawks!

I will absolute not be watching this game. Gonna probably be a while before I can watch another game I care about live. Last night hurt too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    That is true, but only of the upperclassman Laettner. Remember his freshman year when he missed a crucial free throw and was consoled by none other than Richard Nixon. We didn't get to see his "killer" instinct until the next year. Not that it wasn't there the whole time, but it is a rare 18 year-old who shows it from the beginning.

Section 15
    (a graduate of the Vic Bubas basketball camp)
    I think it was Reagan who consoled him...and yes, the upperclassman underclassman thing is an issue, but Laettner had it by the time he was a sophomore, and it's just part of his DNA. Not sure it's part of the DNA of any of the guys on this team. I mean it's rare...he was 20, as is Roach. Keels seemed to be the closest to having it last night, at age 18. Could be part of his DNA....he showed it versus the Zags.

I think it was Reagan who consoled him...and yes, the upperclassman underclassman thing is an issue, but Laettner had it by the time he was a sophomore, and it's just part of his DNA. Not sure it's part of the DNA of any of the guys on this team. I mean it's rare...he was 20, as is Roach. Keels seemed to be the closest to having it last night, at age 18. Could be part of his DNA...he showed it versus the Zags.
    No, it was Nixon. He's the one with the the Duke connection.

Laettner first caught the eye of a prominent Duke Law School alumnus, Richard Nixon, when the former president watched him blow a clutch free throw in the Devils' 77-75 loss to Arizona on Feb. 26 at the Meadowlands. Nixon sought Laettner out in the locker room to console him. Says Laettner of their brief summit, "It was a lot of fun."

https://vault.si.com/vault/1989/04/0...sen-above-unlv
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

The U(sic)NC folks told us all week that the semifinal game wouldn’t matter if the winner lost on Monday. I’m 99% sure this was an effort to preemptively invalidate a Duke semifinal victory.

Happy to follow their rules - win it all or the semifinal doesn’t matter!

I think it was Reagan who consoled him...and yes, the upperclassman underclassman thing is an issue, but Laettner had it by the time he was a sophomore, and it's just part of his DNA. Not sure it's part of the DNA of any of the guys on this team. I mean it's rare...he was 20, as is Roach. Keels seemed to be the closest to having it last night, at age 18. Could be part of his DNA...he showed it versus the Zags.
    Definitely Nixon.

And interesting choice for consolation, but you certainly can't argue with the results.

I rooted for Kansas yesterday because I honestly felt they had a better chance of beating UNC than a well coached but small Villanova, and I also thought we matched up a little better with them if we won.

However, I’ve seen enough the last few weeks, painful as it is, to note when a team is blessed with a lot of stardust. Baylor, UCLA, last night, don’t see UNC losing after getting this far.

Not going to watch it, but there is an inescapable inevitability about where this is going.