Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Welcome (back) to Duke, Mike Schrage

Jeff Goodman says Schrage has resigned at Elon to take the job at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Jeff Goodman says Schrage has resigned at Elon to take the job at Duke.
    Just saw that. Good get for Jon. He likely gets an associate head coach position. Now to fill Nolan’s assistant position. Amile getting a promotion?

For all the talk of the transition not going smoothly, it seems like all of this may have been in the works for awhile. Schrage comes in and provides head coaching experience, Amile slides into the other assistant coach role, and the staff is complete. While we'll miss Nolan, I was a little concerned with having two assistants with such limited experience. Schrage has coached at multiple P5 programs and has been a head coach. I think he will bring plenty to the table.
    Last edited by Dr. Maturin; 04-05-2022 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Just saw that. Good get for Jon. He likely gets an associate head coach position. Now to fill Nolan’s assistant position. Amile getting a promotion?
    Presumably so. The rumors have proved true so far: Nolan to Louisville, Schrage to Duke and now it’s gonna be Amile stepping up.
    Carolina delenda est

I moved the posts from the Nolan thread to here so we could have a thread dedicated to the new guy.

Meanwhile, twitter posts from Goodman and Marks saying this is happening:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...55778422538244
    https://twitter.com/BrendanRMarks/st...60640661065733
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Presumably so. The rumors have proved true so far: Nolan to Louisville, Schrage to Duke and now it’s gonna be Amile stepping up.
    Nah I saw something saying he is in coming in a “non traditional role”

So what makes this a good get? He has been terrible at Elon the last 3 years and that’s his only experience as a HC. What am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    So what makes this a good get? He has been terrible at Elon the last 3 years and that’s his only experience as a HC. What am I missing here?
    He’s coming in in a non traditional role according to Adam Rowe do not a asst

Was on the staff for Duke’s 2001 national title team. Part of the Duke staff for the 2004 final four. Learned as a student assistant at Indiana under a guy named Bob Knight. Was at Stanford for 9 years under Johnny Dawkins. Has head coaching experience in North Carolina so likely can recruit that area well. Has been in college coaching in some capacity over two decades. Got several Stanford players to the NBA when he was there. Should I continue?

We will have to see how this plays out to see if it is a good get or not, but Jon doesn’t need a head coach who has been successful running a program. He needs someone to backfill a whole host of responsibilities, someone who isn’t auditioning for a new job from day one and it sure wouldn’t hurt if that coach had more experience than he and Carrawell but will also fit in with their established working relationship (which is about to change significantly).
    Carolina delenda est

Well

His record for those three years, his first as head coach, is similar to that of Duke's head coach in 1980-1983. And he [the Duke Coach] had Gene Banks and Kenny Dennard his first year.

Seriously, the Duke staff knows him from his days at Duke. Maybe they think he's really smart. And he's got P5 experience as an assistant.
    Last edited by MChambers; 04-05-2022 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added bracketed language

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    And he's got P5 experience as an assistant.
    This seems particularly relevant to the position at hand.
    Carolina delenda est

He’s not coming in as a asst go look at what Adam rowe said. A non traditional role doesn’t scream asst or he would have said assistant or As HC

It's also worth noting that Elon was 11-21 in the year before Schrage took the job. So a 33-52 record after that isn't exactly a clear negative against him. He took over a bad team, and didn't make them worse.

But, as others have said, he probably isn't there because of a need to have a coach with a winning pedigree. He's there probably because he has a wealth of experience in the coaching/program ranks, is familiar with the program, has outside perspective as well, and can help with a lot of the logistics for a first-time head coach.

He started during the Covid year.

Coach Schrage isn’t a Coach K disciple. A first on the Duke coaching staff payroll in quite some time.

Coach Schrage isn’t a Coach K disciple. A first on the Duke coaching staff payroll in quite some time.
    If you limit disciple strictly to former player than I guess you are correct. However, he was Director of Basketball Operations at Duke from 2002-2008. So I wouldn’t exactly say that Scheyer went outside the family.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    If you limit disciple strictly to former player than I guess you are correct. However, he was Director of Basketball Operations at Duke from 2002-2008. So I wouldn’t exactly say that Scheyer went outside the family.
    Yeah that is a good point. Not a K disciple but has listened to lots of the Coach K/Duke sermons plenty of times before.

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "K disciple", but he started his career working for Coach K at Duke and then worked for JD at Stanford for quite a while.

I'm conflicted on this. Hope Elon makes a good hire, I thought he might still get it turned around there.

Edit: Sorry, should have refreshed the page before posting