LOL at Gamecock U.

The President of Gamecock U. resigns after heavily (really heavily) plagiarizing his commencement speech:https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/12/us/us...rnd/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The President of Gamecock U. resigns after heavily (really heavily) plagiarizing his commencement speech:https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/12/us/us...rnd/index.html
    Not to mention calling the school the University of California!

Dude sounds pretty frazzled, hope is okay.

That said, in this day and age, how can you think someone will not find out when you full sale lift a section of a speech from someone else without attribution?

I mean -- no shade -- he plagiarized Adm. Bill McRaven's most famous speech, to the graduates of the University of Texas in 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Basically, never should have been hired. His resume is a better fit to The Citadel or VMI. Here are some tidbits:

Caslen is a retired Army lieutenant general and former superintendent and president of the US Military Academy at West Point, according to the university's website. He is the 29th president of the university and held the position for two years.
    According to a report by the Office of Inspector General, Caslen, fellow Army General Vincent K. Brooks, and Air Force generals Peter U. Sutton and Jack J. Catton Jr "violated the ethical guidelines of the military that forbid officers to promote private organizations" when they appeared in a video for an evangelical organization Christian Embassy. At the time, he was Commandant of Cadets at West Point. In a letter, he said he would be more vigilant about such improprieties going forward.
    On July 19, 2019, Caslen was selected as the 29th president of the University of South Carolina. He was initially among a group of four finalists for the position. While Caslen was reported to be the front-runner, there was significant controversy about his nomination, given that he does not possess an earned doctorate and because of alleged comments made during open campus sessions regarding binge drinking and sexual assault; among faculty and students, 82% opposed Caslen's candidacy. It was later discovered by the Post and Courier that Mr. Caslen's name was added to the finalist list only after the intervention of the Chairman of the Board of Trustees as Caslen was not originally a finalist or an agreed upon alternate nominated by the presidential search committee.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Seems like a ridiculously stupid thing to plagiarize for -- a commencement speech? Why? Not like he's getting graded/judged on it anyways. I feel like there's probably more to his lack of fit in the role, than just a stupid move to not quote someone during a verbal speech. That alone doesn't seem resignation worthy although is embarrassing/should not be done. He pulled a Melania Trump basically. It's not like he plagiarized in an academic paper or book, which would be much more egregious in my book.

ashamed to say he's a Vermont high school grad, but we've disowned him, no poutine for him!

ashamed to say he's a Vermont high school grad, but we've disowned him, no poutine for him!
    Is he cutoff from Heady Topper and maple syrup as well? Or are those second and third strike punishments?
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Is he cutoff from Heady Topper and maple syrup as well? Or are those second and third strike punishments?
    he's cut off. Bud Light and Aunt Jemima for him. You can't coddle these people.

You mean Pearl Milling Company?

https://contact.pepsico.com/auntjemi...nd-changing-it
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Whoa. Syrup is life. Harsh, man. Harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Whoa. Syrup is life. Harsh, man. Harsh.
    as Marie Antoinette used to say, let 'em eat high fructose corn syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    ha, yes in fact I'd seen that, but who has ever heard of Pearl Milling, right? Sounds like a sock company..

Was he drunk? For a guest speaker to get that wrong would be pretty bad, but it's his University. WTH
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Was he drunk? For a guest speaker to get that wrong would be pretty bad, but it's his University. WTH
    Maybe his notes had shorthand USC and he forgot the "Southern" part? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I can honestly say I've seen quite a few drunk people in the Gamecock stadium...

You’ve never called your SO by the wrong name?

I’d say you only half to submit your resignation about half the time for that error!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Dude sounds pretty frazzled, hope is okay.

That said, in this day and age, how can you think someone will not find out when you full sale lift a section of a speech from someone else without attribution?
    It's wholesale, not full sale, just FYI. More formally known as direct plagiarism.