Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First visit

First visit

I've been an avid reader of DBR and a huge Duke MBB fan from the UK for a number of years and booked flights early to Durham in anticipation of watching a game at Cameron with my wife for my 50th birthday. I was dismayed when the ACC schedule was released to see that in our week there, Duke play at both Virginia and Louisville and then play at home against NC state as we fly back (I'm a teacher so have to return to work on the Monday)! So, I have bit the bullet and purchased flights and tickets for the game in Louisville to watch my first ever game, such is my desire to maximise our time in the US.

Can I ask as a Duke fan and a first time couple in Durham what you guys would suggest would be 'musts' e.g. to visit, to eat and to experience?

We are staying at the Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club from 2/9 to 2/16 so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by UKDukeFan View Post
    I've been an avid reader of DBR and a huge Duke MBB fan from the UK for a number of years and booked flights early to Durham in anticipation of watching a game at Cameron with my wife for my 50th birthday. I was dismayed when the ACC schedule was released to see that in our week there, Duke play at both Virginia and Louisville and then play at home against NC state as we fly back (I'm a teacher so have to return to work on the Monday)! So, I have bit the bullet and purchased flights and tickets for the game in Louisville to watch my first ever game, such is my desire to maximise our time in the US.

Can I ask as a Duke fan and a first time couple in Durham what you guys would suggest would be 'musts' e.g. to visit, to eat and to experience?

We are staying at the Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club from 2/9 to 2/16 so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    First of all, great to hear from you and hope you have a great stay! The Washington Duke is a great selection.

Also, in advance, please ignore the posters who see "UK . . ." and immediately think of the University of Kentucky, not our great ally the United Kingdom. One we like, respect and admire; the other is in Kentucky.

I'm not a Durhamite, but I would recommend Dame's Chicken and Waffles and Fullsteam Brewery.

Hope you have a great trip!

Somehow, some way, and for some reason, Durham has become foodie central - probably surpassing Raleigh and Charlotte for eateries....many good choices, especially in the revitalized areas near town.

Meanwhile, my daughter and her husband are in the UK for two weeks...thus we are house/pet sitting for them in Raleigh...convenient since our town is flooded.

I usually recommend a walking tour of the Sarah P. Duke Gardens (at the other end of the main campus from the Washington Duke Inn) to first time visitors. However, a garden tour might be less of a novelty to a UK resident. Nevertheless, I submit the suggestion for consideration.

Sucks you won't be able to catch a game. Not sure if this is still the case but they used to leave the doors to Cameron unlocked. As long as there was no events or practices going on you could just walk on in.

I’m a foodie so forgive my focus on... food. IMO, “musts” in Durham include:

M Sushi - perhaps the best sushi I’ve ever eaten, no kidding ($$$$)
    M Kokko - small adjoining restaurant, crowded b/c they serve THE BEST chicken wings you’ll ever eat ($$)
    Rue Cler - I slightly prefer it over Vin Rouge but both are excellent ($$/$$$)
    Taberna Tapas - I much prefer over the very crowded and over-rated Mateo ($$/$$$)
    Gonza Tacos - mmm, mmm ($)
    NanaSteak - pretty amazing steakhouse ($$$$)
    The Parlour - for ice cream and to experience the main downtown square
    Alley Twenty-Six - excellent spot for drinks, across the street from M Sushi
    Durham Hotel rooftop - don’t expect great drinks or service but the view is cool
    Elmo’s Diner - a Durham staple, for breakfast, very crowded on weekends ($)
    Dames Chicken & Waffles - ditto
    LocoPops - unique local frozen treats, LOVE the Mexican chocolate pop

Wow, I’m hungry!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

I like Mateo's Tapas Bar for dinner...very interesting variety of food. And I like Monuts for breakfast...if there is a line, walk around it to sit at the counter. Fullsteam is great, but I also like Motorco across the street...casual food and great beers. There are so many great restaurants in Durham.

Chips here are crisps, not fried potato sticks.

Oh, and it's hard to find malt vinegar for what you know as chips.

(And if you ask someone whether they would like bangers and mash, they may think you're making a pass at them).

Two cultures, separated by a common language . . . .

I just checked and the women's schedule isn't out yet, but you should keep an eye on it. Hopefully they will have a home game during your stay and you can go to that. It isn't the sold out Cameron Crazies like a men's game but it is still a lot of fun and you get to see a game in Cameron.

As far as food goes, make sure to have some NC BBQ. There are lots of threads here debating the merits of different places. I'm personally partial to Bullocks - some love it, some hate it.

Enjoy your trip!

Since you'll already be at the Washington Duke, go to its Fairview Dining Room and order the shrimp & bacon chowder, the salmon, and a Red Oak.

This general topic comes up a fair amount. There is a search feature on the forum, but unless you know what you're looking for it isn't always the most useful. So to help you along, consider perusing the following non-comprehensive list of past threads (the topics are not exclusive to your question but are all of the "first time in Durham"/"first game in Cameron"/"where to watch in Durham"/"where to eat in Durham" variety):

First Duke Basketball Game (02-15-2011)

First time Cameron Indoor (01-06-2010)

My First Duke Game Ever (02-08-2016)

Watching (away) games in Durham (11-17-2010)

First trip to Durham (07-10-2010)

Visiting Cameron (07-17-2014)

Another Durham Question (04-19-2010)

Coming to Durham for 1st time! Suggestions? (11-16-2016)

My first trip to Cameron, and... (12-12-2012)

Duke visit (07-29-2015)

1st Time to Cameron This Saturday!!!! (01-12-2009)

DBR's favorite restaurants (01-03-2013)

First Duke Basketball game for my 12 yr old son and I - 10/26 - where to eat? (09-17-2013)

Attending First Duke Game at Cameron (01-10-2016)

Durham BBQ and Breakfast (01-16-2010)

Cameron Bound! (12-05-2010)

I included thread start-dates because a lot has changed in the last 5 years, but some of the older threads have had recent responses and a lot of the older advice holds.

Welcome to DBR. I'm a lifelong Duke fan (both parents attended Duke and my siblings and I all grew up Duke fans). As we speak, my wife and I who live only about 30 mins from Durham/Duke, are in Eastbourne, England for our British niece's wedding tomorrow (Saturday). We were initially in Dublin for a few days before flying into Gatwick/England. If you're anywhere near Eastbourne and would like to get together to talk some Duke basketball over a pint or two, send me a private email message via DBR. Cheers.

Likewise, I will be in the Liverpool/Manchester area in mid-April and happy to discuss what a great trip you had!

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Since you'll already be at the Washington Duke, go to its Fairview Dining Room and order the shrimp & bacon chowder, the salmon, and a Red Oak.
    An excellent suggestion, just keep in mind that Fairview's menu is also available in the Bull Durham Bar just off the lobby, but you have to ask for it. The bar is a great place to take in a game.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 09-14-2018 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Just one note, the first table on the right by the window is reserved for me personally. You may be asked to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post

M Kokko - small adjoining restaurant, crowded b/c they serve THE BEST chicken wings you’ll ever eat ($$)
    Taberna Tapas - I much prefer over the very crowded and over-rated Mateo ($$/$$$)
    Durham Hotel rooftop - don’t expect great drinks or service but the view is cool

Wow, I’m hungry!
    don't forget bull city burger, and pizzaria toro

Also m kokko aren't even the best wings in durham #heavenlybuffaloes
    April 1

Another suggestion: go visit the Duke Lemur Center. There literally isn't anywhere else like in the world, the tour isn't particularly time-consuming, and I think the ticket price is $6.

If you like art, there is also the Nasher Museum of Art on campus.

I also recommend eating at the Waffle House in order to gain a deeper understanding of certain segments of American culture, and because it's dirt cheap and delicious (go to the one on Hillsborough Road; the new one on Ninth Street is too clean for a first experience).

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I also recommend eating at the Waffle House in order to gain a deeper understanding of certain segments of American culture, and because it's dirt cheap and delicious (go to the one on Hillsborough Road; the new one on Ninth Street is too clean for a first experience).
    Just like a traditional English breakfast without the sausage, beans, grilled tomato, mushrooms, or good bread. Or drinkable tea.

Big warning: American tea is often pedestrian at best unless you go somewhere a bit more upscale. Our coffee is usually much better.

For breakfast, find some proper Southern buiscuits. By that I do not mean what y’all call biscuits (which we call “cookies”) but a buttermilk breakfast buiscuit. Like a scone, but fluffier and butterier (if that is a word).
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 09-14-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post

Wow, I’m hungry!
    It’s amazing to me to read this list. I graduated in 2003 (and haven’t been back since homecoming the fall after I graduated) and aside from Elmo’s (and Vin Rouge, which was maybe a year or two old at the time) I dont’ think a single place on that list existed when I was in school. The thought that Durham would be a major foodie destination is not consistent with my recollection of what town was like 15 years ago. In short, I feel old.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Big warning: American tea is often pedestrian at best unless you go somewhere a bit more upscale. Our coffee is usually much better.
    I don't think the OP indicated if he had ever been to the US before. If you haven't, be warned … Americans in general, and Southerners in particular, love a cold drink called "iced tea"; it is available with any meal, including breakfast. In the South, it usually comes highly (to my taste, much too highly) sweetened. The one British expatriate I met during my time in Durham considered the whole concept of "iced tea" an abomination. So, if you are not familiar with this … by all means, give it a try, you might actually find it tolerable … but if you do try it, you might want to order your first one "un-sweetened". I do believe that sweet iced tea is an acquired taste, particularly to the extent which most Southern restaurants sweeten it.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I don't think the OP indicated if he had ever been to the US before. If you haven't, be warned … Americans in general, and Southerners in particular, love a cold drink called "iced tea"; it is available with any meal, including breakfast. In the South, it usually comes highly (to my taste, much too highly) sweetened. The one British expatriate I met during my time in Durham considered the whole concept of "iced tea" an abomination. So, if you are not familiar with this … by all means, give it a try, you might actually find it tolerable … but if you do try it, you might want to order your first one "un-sweetened". I do believe that sweet iced tea is an acquired taste, particularly to the extent which most Southern restaurants sweeten it.
    For many years, the Bryan Center McDonald's offered a 50-piece chicken nugget meal (for a long time in a bucket, but later in several smaller containers) for something like $11. I'd guess they still do. Many students didn't realize that it came with a gallon of sweet tea. I suspect that was because so few students wanted it that the folks at the McDonald's didn't even bother bringing it out to the counter most of the time. Perhaps it was that when a student was drunk enough to order the nug' buck', he just didn't have sweet tea on the mind.

The only time I drink sweet tea is when someone else has bought a lot of Bojangles' and it's the only drink around. I have loved Southern food my entire life, but I am not a fan of sweet tea.