Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

It's finally time... 2021-22 Minutes Thread!

I guess I'll be the one to bear the burden of starting this thread (please don't negative spork me too bad, hahaha), since our roster is now in all likelihood set after PBJ's decision to go to Milwaukee. So I'll ask the question here that almost every other thread seems to devolve into during the off-season... how do we see the minutes distribution next year?

I'll give my own best guess, that will more than likely be horribly wrong, first. I'll do so not using the 1-5 positions as traditionally defined, but the more modern definition of ballhandler, wing, and big. I'm also thinking about this as averages over the whole year... i.e., I don't think Wendell will play 5 mpg at the backup point guard, but there'll be games where he plays very little there and games where he plays there for longer stretches that'll average to 5 mpg.

Starters:
    Ballhandler: Jeremy Roach (33 minutes)
    Wings: Wendell Moore (28 minutes), AJ Griffin (25 minutes)
    Bigs: Paolo Banchero (32 minutes), Mark Williams (33 minutes)

Bench/Perturbations
    Ballhandler: Wendell (5 minutes), Jaylen Blakes (2 minutes)
    Wings: Trevor Keels (20 minutes), Joey Baker (7 minutes)
    Bigs: AJ Griffin (5 minutes), Theo John (10 minutes), Bates Jones (emergency)

What's exciting about this team is its versatility... there could be times where we play Mark and Theo alongside each other as "bigs" and Paolo plays on the wing for a bit, for instance. Hard to account for all those perturbations in a straightforward prediction like this.

So, there it is. I've taken the bullet and started the conversation that will likely consume the board until football season starts. Tell me why I'm horribly, horribly wrong
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I guess I'll be the one to bear the burden of starting this thread (please don't negative spork me too bad, hahaha), since our roster is now in all likelihood set after PBJ's decision to go to Milwaukee. So I'll ask the question here that almost every other thread seems to devolve into during the off-season... how do we see the minutes distribution next year?

I'll give my own best guess, that will more than likely be horribly wrong, first. I'll do so not using the 1-5 positions as traditionally defined, but the more modern definition of ballhandler, wing, and big. I'm also thinking about this as averages over the whole year... i.e., I don't think Wendell will play 5 mpg at the backup point guard, but there'll be games where he plays very little there and games where he plays there for longer stretches that'll average to 5 mpg.

Starters:
    Ballhandler: Jeremy Roach (33 minutes)
    Wings: Wendell Moore (28 minutes), AJ Griffin (25 minutes)
    Bigs: Paolo Banchero (32 minutes), Mark Williams (33 minutes)

Bench/Perturbations
    Ballhandler: Wendell (5 minutes), Jaylen Blakes (2 minutes)
    Wings: Trevor Keels (20 minutes), Joey Baker (7 minutes)
    Bigs: AJ Griffin (5 minutes), Theo John (10 minutes), Bates Jones (emergency)

What's exciting about this team is its versatility... there could be times where we play Mark and Theo alongside each other as "bigs" and Paolo plays on the wing for a bit, for instance. Hard to account for all those perturbations in a straightforward prediction like this.

So, there it is. I've taken the bullet and started the conversation that will likely consume the board until football season starts. Tell me why I'm horribly, horribly wrong
    You have 5 players with 30 or more minutes. I hope not😡

My guess is fairly similar to Scott's, but with a bit of variation:

Roach: 32 mpg
    Banchero: 32 mpg
    Moore: 30 mpg
    Williams: 29 mpg
    Griffin: 28 mpg
    Keels: 22 mpg
    Baker: 12 mpg
    John: 11 mpg
    Blakes: 4 mpg
    Other: <1 mpg

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    True... but it's not that outlandish. The 2018 squad had all four star freshmen playing more than 29.7 minutes per game. As many have said, this squad has a clear Top 6 (the starters plus Keels), with our seventh and eighth men (Baker and John) likely going to be playing complimentary minutes. While you're probably right that averaged over the whole season we probably won't have 5 guys playing more than 30 mpg, I wouldn't be shocked if that's what happens down the stretch in February/March/(hopefully) April. K is going to do everything he can to keep our uber-talented guys on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Honestly, I don't think there could.
    I agree that such a lineup wouldn't be optimal. But I could imagine it being used in very specific spots, for instance if FSU wants to trot out a very big lineup and we get in foul trouble, or if we want to experiment with an ultra long 2-3 zone. If it happens, it probably won't happen much, but I wouldn't rule out anything with the diverse pieces we have on this roster.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

I think this is a good distribution assuming Roach makes the leap we all expect him to.

If not, I could see more experimentation with Moore or Keels at PG. I don't expect Blakes to get crunch time minutes this season unless he turns out to be a very strong M2M defender (better than Roach) and we need him to slow down an opposing PG.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I think this is a good distribution assuming Roach makes the leap we all expect him to.

If not, I could see more experimentation with Moore or Keels at PG. I don't expect Blakes to get crunch time minutes this season unless he turns out to be a very strong M2M defender (better than Roach) and we need him to slow down an opposing PG.
    I'm a bigger Moore fan than most on the board, and I think/hope he will continue his trajectory. He went from an instant turnover as a freshman to a serviceable ballhandler last year - a pretty big jump. His shot was even looking solid, form wise imo, at the end of the season. He' may always be a complementary player, but we have more players to complement this year.

I also think we see Banchero and Griffin bring the ball up a good amount, especially off rebounds.

Back to Moore. Last year, there were many times when he was our #2 option on offense. Next year, he may never be #2.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

My updates based on offseason:
    Banchero: 32
    Keels: 31
    Moore: 30
    Roach: 29
    Williams: 28
    Griffin: 22
    John: 12
    Baker:11
    Blakes: 3
    Jones: 2
    Other: <1

Mainly bumping up Keels and down Griffin based on the offseason.

Here goes

Banchero 32
    Moore 30
    Keels 30
    Griffin 27
    Williams 25
    Roach 25
    John 13
    Baker 11
    Blakes 5
    Jones 2

As much as I like the idea of K going small, this roster seems to me to make it difficult. I doubt we'll see Banchero at the 5 much this year, except when we have lots of foul trouble with our bigs, or if a smaller quicker team makes us adjust.

Here's hoping...

Banchero 25
    Moore 25
    Keels 20
    Griffin 20
    Williams 20
    Roach 20
    John 20
    Baker 15
    Blakes 10
    Jones 10
    Savarino 5
    Worthington 5
    Borden 3
    Hubbard 2

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Here's hoping...

Banchero 25
    Moore 25
    Keels 20
    Griffin 20
    Williams 20
    Roach 20
    John 20
    Baker 15
    Blakes 10
    Jones 10
    Savarino 5
    Worthington 5
    Borden 3
    Hubbard 2
    Expecting lots of one-sided losses?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Expecting lots of one-sided losses?
    Well, he did say “Here’s hoping”. A bunch of 85-55 wins seems like a reasonable thing to hope for.

Banchero 35
    Moore 30
    Williams 30
    Keels 26
    Griffin 26
    Roach 22
    John 11
    Baker 10
    Blakes 6
    Jones 2
    Savarino 1
    Worthington .5
    Borden .5

Here goes nothing

Banchero - 32
    Moore - 32
    Williams - 30
    Roach - 28
    Keels - 28
    Griffin - 24
    John - 10
    Baker - 10
    Blakes - 6
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottHoo View Post
    Well, he did say “Here’s hoping”. A bunch of 85-55 wins seems like a reasonable thing to hope for.
    Yes I am hoping for scores like this... (of course don't put this in the "jinx" thread or I will have a lot of explaining to do).

Moore: 34
    Banchero: 32
    Roach: 31
    Keels: 28
    Williams: 26
    Griffin: 21
    John: 13
    Baker: 12
    Blakes: 2
    Others: 1

Moore: 32
    Banchero: 30
    Williams: 29
    Keels: 28
    Roach: 26
    Griffin: 20
    Baker:17
    John: 13
    Blakes: 2
    Jones: 2

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Banchero 32
    Moore 30
    Keels 30
    Griffin 27
    Williams 25
    Roach 25
    John 13
    Baker 11
    Blakes 5
    Jones 2

As much as I like the idea of K going small, this roster seems to me to make it difficult. I doubt we'll see Banchero at the 5 much this year, except when we have lots of foul trouble with our bigs, or if a smaller quicker team makes us adjust.
    This sounds generally right to me. Mine was very similar (though I guess I'm underplaying Griffin a bit due to his injuries last year and this).

Banchero-32
    Moore-31
    Roach-30
    Keels-28
    Williams-27
    Griffin-23
    John-14
    Baker-11
    Jones-2
    Blakes-2

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Moore-33
    Banchero-31
    Roach-30
    Keels-28
    Williams-25
    Griffin-25
    John-15
    Baker-7
    Blakes-4
    Jones-2

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I think there might not be five guys with 30+ mpg for the season, because there will be plenty of blowouts in which the top five guys don't have to play their full allotment of minutes, but in games that count, I think Scott is probably right. And even for the full season, we'll likely have at least four guys with 27+ mpg. That's basically standard for Coach K (rounding up to the nearest whole minute, e.g., 26.7 = 27):

Code:
    Year	27+	30+
    2021	5	2
    2020	2	1
    2019	4	4
    2018	5	4
    2017	5	5
    2016	5	4
    2015	4	3
    2014	3	3
    2013	5	3
    2012	3	2
    2011	2	2
    2010	3	3
    2009	3	3
    2008	4	1
    2007	4	4
    2006	4	4
    2005	4	3
    2004	4	4
    2003	4	3
    2002	5	3
    2001	5	2
    2000	4	3
    1999	4	2
    We've had four 30+ guys in four of the past six seasons (though neither of the past two). But as noted above, four or five guys with 27+ mpg is pretty much the norm.

In half of the last ten seasons, we've had five guys playing 27+ mpg. We've had at least four 27+ guys in seven of the past ten (70%), and 17 of the past 23 seasons (74%). In seasons in which this hasn't been true, it's usually because there's not a clear delineation among the top players and the top subs, but that shouldn't be the case next season. Assuming no late additions, we'll only have 10 recruited scholarship players, and Bates Jones is likely to be no more than a glorified walk-on, meaning we'll really only have nine. It's unclear where Trevor Keels will fit in, but Theo John and Jaylen Blakes should certainly be a clear step down from our top five guys. If Keels is also a step down, we'll almost certainly have five guys at 27+ (maybe five guys at or close to 30+). If Keels is on par with, e.g., Roach and Moore, then we probably won't have five guys with 30+, but we'd still probably have five guys with 27+, and possibly six.

That said, I don't know why having four or five guys playing lots of minutes would be a bad thing. If we amend the above table to include only Duke teams in the date range that made the Elite Eight or better, every such team had at least four guys averaging 27+ minutes, except 2010 (a team that had three guys who played 35+ mpg, making it harder for a fourth or fifth guy to sneak in there).

Code:
    Year	27+	30+
    2019	4	4
    2018	5	4
    2015	4	3
    2013	5	3
    2010	3	3
    2004	4	4
    2001	5	2
    1999	4	2

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    there could be times where we play Mark and Theo alongside each other as "bigs" and Paolo plays on the wing for a bit, for instance.
    Honestly, I don't think there could.