Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Shortage

So, as far as hypermiling goes, I'm trying it for this tank. I will update the thread to let you know how successful I can be.

So far I am finding that there are a lot of intriguing things to think about while driving this way. For example, after I come off the highway into downtown Norfolk, there is a stretch of three consecutive lights in close proximity. Worst thing for hypermiling is sitting at a red light. Second worse thing is rapidly accelerating.

So when I come off the highway, if I see the first light is green, is it better to rapidly accelerate, thus wasting gas temporarily, in order to get through the lights without stopping, which would presumably waste even MORE gas? On the other hand, at the red light, I am idling at about 900 rpms. So many decisions. So far, I have opted for accelerating to get through lights.

Also, when I am at a known really long light, since the weather is nice, I just turn off the car entirely and sit there. I turn it back on when the opposing light turns yellow so I am ready to go when it is time. I've been told that the amount of fuel it takes to start a modern car would be burned off in about 5 seconds of idling, so I think this is saving gas.

Again, this is only an experiment. My baseline mileage is 30 mpg. I wonder whether I will be able to get, say 35 mpg out of this tank with all this work? Maybe even better??? If it ends up getting me to something like 32 or 33, I am never doing this again.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Unless you're wearing your ice vest in the summer with the windows up and no AC, then you are a rank amateur compared to these guys, rsvman! (And that's pronounced "ama-tour", natch...)

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Well,

don't leave us hanging?
    https://owalalife.com/products/freesip

As I recall, I found it on GMA's Deals and Steals one day. I have two sizes and it seems to keep water cool for a good amount of time. I like the straw option for when we used to have choir in the service at church. It allows for a more discreet wetting of the whistle before singing.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Also, when I am at a known really long light, since the weather is nice, I just turn off the car entirely and sit there. I turn it back on when the opposing light turns yellow so I am ready to go when it is time. I've been told that the amount of fuel it takes to start a modern car would be burned off in about 5 seconds of idling, so I think this is saving gas.
    This is the theory behind newer cars with auto stop/start functions. I'm still trying to figure out why my car overrides the function often, I other words what scenarios. I can always just turn it off, but I,m not against efficiency. Though the bigger decisions along those lines are where you live/work.

FWIW, the higher risk challenge is how far can you go after your low fuel indicator light comes on?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    This is the theory behind newer cars with auto stop/start functions. I'm still trying to figure out why my car overrides the function often, I other words what scenarios. I can always just turn it off, but I,m not against efficiency. Though the bigger decisions along those lines are where you live/work.

FWIW, the higher risk challenge is how far can you go after your low fuel indicator light comes on?
    Ha...maybe the car keeps running because the A/C is runniing? I have no idea.

Yes, my on board electronics tell me my gas is not only low, but gone when in fact it still has three gallons in the tank...they are obviously trying to protect me from myself. Somehow I'd prefer an accurate gauge. I'm defending my right to run out of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post

So my f-150 will only do the auto stop when the conditions are right. It’s in my manual but basically the battery needs to be fully charged, engine needs to be at operating temp, and the cabin has to be at a comfortable temp. I know my wife’s traverse is way more forgiving with whatever parameters Chevy uses. Her traverse shuts off way more often than my F-150. My truck will actually say why it’s not auto stopping and it’s usually “vehicle charging”.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ... Somehow I'd prefer an accurate gauge. I'm defending my right to run out of gas.
    Im with you. But I’m a very rare breed I think - a person who ran out of gas TWICE on a single trip home from work.

I first ran out in a sketchy neighborhood in East Durham. So in the cold, dark night I walked about two miles down the freeway, walked down an exit and found a gas station. But they had no gas cans. So I bought the largest jug of water I could find (one gallon) poured out the contents and filled it with gas.

Set off walking back down the freeway but pretty soon got picked up by a city bus driver who, despite having passengers to deliver, pulled over for me. He said he was worried about my safety walking on this road at night. Reached my car, poured the gas in and headed for the west durham gas station that was on my way home to finish filling up. But a half block from the station I ran out of gas again!

I still had my plastic jug so I walk to the station, fill up the jug, walk back to my car, pour in the gas, drive half block to station, put gas in my car for third time on this trip and finally drive home, arriving about three hours after I took off on this 15 mile trip.

To this day I still don’t know why the gallon of gas only got me 9.9 of the 10 miles to the second gas station.

DC area seems to have recovered

I passed by a bunch of gas stations in Montgomery Country today that all seemed to have gas to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Probably saving gas, but possibly costing more in long term wear from all the starts ands tops (likely far beyond the intended use if doing it regularly I would think).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Probably saving gas, but possibly costing more in long term wear from all the starts ands tops (likely far beyond the intended use if doing it regularly I would think).
    I've seen people shift into park when waiting at long lights. Not sure if this accomplishes anything but it seems easier than turning the car off.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I've seen people shift into park when waiting at long lights. Not sure if this accomplishes anything but it seems easier than turning the car off.
    Just lets you take the break off the gas, the car still idles the same. Slightly more comfortable, slightly less safe (more opportunity to make a dumb mistake when you start moving again with the extra steps, or the one time you take your foot off the brake but "oops, forgot to put it in park" etc), no gains in efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    That’s because they don’t want to keep pressing the brake pedal (for various legitimate and not so legitimate reasons.) It doesn’t help with the mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Im with you. But I’m a very rare breed I think - a person who ran out of gas TWICE on a single trip home from work.

I first ran out in a sketchy neighborhood in East Durham. So in the cold, dark night I walked about two miles down the freeway, walked down an exit and found a gas station. But they had no gas cans. So I bought the largest jug of water I could find (one gallon) poured out the contents and filled it with gas.

Set off walking back down the freeway but pretty soon got picked up by a city bus driver who, despite having passengers to deliver, pulled over for me. He said he was worried about my safety walking on this road at night. Reached my car, poured the gas in and headed for the west durham gas station that was on my way home to finish filling up. But a half block from the station I ran out of gas again!

I still had my plastic jug so I walk to the station, fill up the jug, walk back to my car, pour in the gas, drive half block to station, put gas in my car for third time on this trip and finally drive home, arriving about three hours after I took off on this 15 mile trip.

To this day I still don’t know why the gallon of gas only got me 9.9 of the 10 miles to the second gas station.
    Great tale! Sometimes the problem can be getting gas from a container into a gas tank without a proper funnel, the spillage issue...I confront this issue each Fall when I pour my leftover mower gas into my car, it's pretty much impossible without a funnel...

I'll just say really quick that coasting down mountain grades (in a stick, if not an automatic) obviously does give a boost to mpg, but it's not advisable for various safety and wear/tear reasons on brakes.

I now find that my "mpg-ometer" still pegs to the right when I leave it in gear (as I'm supposed to) down mountain grades. And my speed doesn't climb quite so wildly high (I'm looking at you, Ridgecrest to Old Fort on I-40 in NC). Maybe if the scale went higher I'd see what I'm giving up by leaving it in gear.

My personal best in a car (not hybrid) is 53 mpg. Typically I get low to mid 40s for all highway driving, though. Honda Fit (discontinued in USA ... booo!)

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    A whole lot of this country doesn't have the income to stay stocked up. And bottled water is a curse on this country. One of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on its stupid citizens.
    You got that right. Bottled water is fools gold. A big waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Just lets you take the break off the gas, the car still idles the same. Slightly more comfortable, slightly less safe (more opportunity to make a dumb mistake when you start moving again with the extra steps, or the one time you take your foot off the brake but "oops, forgot to put it in park" etc), no gains in efficiency.
    Have you ever had a car with an automatic transmission and a tachometer?

My brother had a 1984 Honda CRX. There was some freakish thing about his - they only made them like it for a few months - but the gas mileage was insane. He took it on a trip to Florida and got 65 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    My brother had a 1984 Honda CRX. There was some freakish thing about his - they only made them like it for a few months - but the gas mileage was insane. He took it on a trip to Florida and got 65 mpg.
    I drove a 1989 Honda Accord across America on I-40 and I swear I got north of 60mpg.

If you can safely drive 55 mph steadily (no stops like you periodically get with non-interstate highways), you can expect 20% or more boost to your mpg at 70 mph speeds. It was instituted as the national speed limit in the 70s, in response to the fuel crisis. It really makes a difference, but unfortunately, it's seldom safe to drive that speed on interstates.

My f-150 has a little engine in it, 2.7L, but it is a twin turbo and puts out 325 hp and 400 lb ft of torque. It’s honestly amazing. It’s even more amazing that I can get 26 mpg on the freeways. My father has had a 2010 Silverado for a long time and it’s a 5.3L v8 that puts out 315 hp and 338 lb ft torque.