Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Shortage

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    And the Neighborhood Walmarts often have gas pumps out front/nearby, but aren't branded as Murphy.
    Yep. Mine is about a par 5 from my home, dogleg left. They were out of gas the last time I checked.

Still very spotty availability here in Asheville. I hear stories of gas stations ten miles away that have supply and long lines, but I feel certain I wouldn't be able to get in line in time to collect.

Woo-hoo!!!!! I was finally able to get some gas this morning!!!! ! So excited!

I didn't believe gas would actually flow into my tank until I saw the numbers moving on the pump. Burned several times in the past week, lol.

Anyway, at long last I have a tank of gas. Very expensive tank of gas, mind you. I started hypermiling when I was low and no gas was in sight. I think I will continue hypermiling just because the price is high and likely to not come down for a while.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Woo-hoo!!!!! I was finally able to get some gas this morning!!!! ! So excited!

I didn't believe gas would actually flow into my tank until I saw the numbers moving on the pump. Burned several times in the past week, lol.

Anyway, at long last I have a tank of gas. Very expensive tank of gas, mind you. I started hypermiling when I was low and no gas was in sight. I think I will continue hypermiling just because the price is high and likely to not come down for a while.
    I need a definition of this term please.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Walmart has a tie in with Murphy USA gas stations. They are located at some Walmart SuperCenters.
    Not anymore. Wal-Mart has been taking over the gas stations since 2016. All the new ones are run by Wal-Mart (like they do with Sam’s) so they can get the convenience store money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Not anymore. Wal-Mart has been taking over the gas stations since 2016. All the new ones are run by Wal-Mart (like they do with Sam’s) so they can get the convenience store money.
    That shows how old and out of touch I am. 😎

Reel Mowers

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I recently bought a manual reel mower. Much nicer cut compared to my electric rotary mower which is no different than my old gas mower. The problem I face is undulations in the yard require me to mow lengthwise and crosswise to get a uniform cut. So a lot more walking. The mower itself is 30 lbs lighter than my electric which itself is 30 PBS lighter than the old gas mower, so it isn't so bad.
    Just used my trusty Fiskars reel mower to mow our small lawn. I like to think that I am getting exercise when I mow, and I suppose I'm getting a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It's a method of maximizing your car's gas mileage. Some people can get 30% better mileage than what is expected for their vehicle by adhering to the principles. Oversimplifying, it is driving without acceleration (in the physics sense of the word) as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It involves a lot of coasting, spacing and no jack rabbit acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    It involves a lot of coasting, spacing and no jack rabbit acceleration.
    So all the fun is out of driving?

You have to think of it as a different kind of driving fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    B-o-r-i-n-g

I find that cruise control... at any constant speed from 25 mph and up, increases my mileage. At least, I don't think it's my imagination

Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I find that cruise control... at any constant speed from 25 mph and up, increases my mileage. At least, I don't think it's my imagination
    Usually cruise control is good on flat terrain. If you’re in hilly country there’s a better strategy than constant speed if your goal is maximizing mileage. You want to gain speed going downhill and give it back going uphill. Of course this strategy could result in road rage from the drivers behind you.☹️

Read online that my local Ingles had gas. About a mile from my house. Long line, but efficiently managed. Full tank in 15 minutes. Should last me several weeks.

Actually, I find it kind of like playing a video game. You don't get the visceral, roller-coaster excitement of the accelerations (the things more people think of as the "fun of driving"), but instead you get the satisfaction of having a long-term strategic goal and celebrating when you achieve it. Hypermiling actually takes a fair amount of constant attention if you want to do it well, so it really is an achievement to hit certain milestones. Most cars these days monitor mileage by trip, so you get the instant feedback of how you did each time you "play", and when you fill up, it feels like completing a scenario.

It's kind of fun, but as different from the "fun of driving" as physical sports are from video games. Each can be fun, but they are very different.

Just used my trusty Fiskars reel mower to mow our small lawn. I like to think that I am getting exercise when I mow, and I suppose I'm getting a little.
    I looked at the Fiskars but went with a less expensive alternative that after a gift card cost me $19. I do like cutting with it. The steps don't register on my watch though, any time e I'm pushing something one in ten steps counts.

It honestly sounds kind of dangerous to me from what I’ve read. Some extreme examples are very dangerous like 55 mph on a freeway but even just starting to coast to a stop sign/red light from a far away distance can be dangerous. I do try to coast a decent amount if I see a stop ahead but I don’t take it to the extreme or anything.

On a related note, I am pulling a 6x12 trailer across the country when I move in a few weeks and uhaul says a MAX speed of 55 mph. I get why they say that but doing 55 on a 75 mph freeway is a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    It honestly sounds kind of dangerous to me from what I’ve read. Some extreme examples are very dangerous like 55 mph on a freeway but even just starting to coast to a stop sign/red light from a far away distance can be dangerous. I do try to coast a decent amount if I see a stop ahead but I don’t take it to the extreme or anything.

On a related note, I am pulling a 6x12 trailer across the country when I move in a few weeks and uhaul says a MAX speed of 55 mph. I get why they say that but doing 55 on a 75 mph freeway is a recipe for disaster.
    Unfortunately, the real message might be to stay off 75 mph freeways...