Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Shortage

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Same here - supposed to camp in Brevard for a weekend of mountain biking. I can make it there and part of the way home but not all the way. For now we are just watching to see if stations get refilled by the weekend.
    We are on Bald Head Island for the week. I really hope there is gas in SE NC by Sunday...

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    So, I wasted my time adding that app to my phone yesterday.
    Even if the app tells you a station has gas it isn't going to tell you how long you have to wait. The Triangle seems to be in a full-fledged meltdown. For a place with so many college graduates, we seem to have a bunch of people who do not understand the concept of self-fulfilling prophecy.

"Honey, the tank just dropped below three-quarters full. I'm going out to top it off. Be back in three or four hours."

"Okay, I'll leave the lights on. Be sure to pack a light snack."

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Tons of gas here in Vegas. Who wants some? I’ll ship it to you in the plastic bags I collect from the grocery store.
    53DA8E95-DD3E-4D5D-BFD8-AF9285CFFABE.jpg
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    So far as I can tell, we're encountering no problems here in Orlando. I filled up my car yesterday afternoon at a nearby station, and my wife filled up hers at a different station across town while she was out on an errand this morning. Neither of us had to wait in a line -- in fact, there were openings at other pumps -- and the prices were the same as last week.

I'm optimistic that the situation in the Carolinas will be resolved by the middle of next week, because we're planning to drive up to visit with family and friends over that weekend.
    My wife said everywhere in Oviedo (NE Orlando) had gas today and she filled up (was under 1/4 tank). However, I passed 4 different gas stations yesterday afternoon (Wednesday 5pm) driving around Oviedo and all of them were out of gas.

It appears the shortage resolved quickly in Orlando area. Which makes sense as we don't even get our gas from the Colonial pipeline in FL except for the panhandle. As I understand it gets shipped to FL by barge from Texas.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Tons of gas here in Vegas. Who wants some? I’ll ship it to you in the plastic bags I collect from the grocery store.
    You referring to this lady?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRjNdgAetQE

Neighborhood Walmart had gas ... no premium or mid-grade, but my humble steed (Honda Fit) is happy with regular unleaded. I was at about 1/3 tank - I probably could have waited it out, but there was a chance I'd be quite low by the time things resolved - so why sweat it? It's not like I hoarded or stocked up; it only took 6.5 gallons to top up.

I only have a 1 gallon can for my lawnmower, and it's low. But the mower tank is full, and it too is a fuel sipper, so I think I have 2-3 cuttings left. I also have a reel mower that I bought when I was between gas mowers and deciding what to get next. It's such a throwback, but it doesn't work as well on my second-rate lawn. And it's a workout and a half, wow. Still, it is a backup plan. And a monument to good intentions.

My deck is overdue for pressure washing, but I was caught with an empty 5 gallon gas can when the shortage hit. Looks like the deck will have to wait a few weeks before it gets blasted. I will not fill up my can while there’s a shortage. Mainly because I don’t want to deprive someone else of really necessary gas, but also I don’t want to get the evil eye from other customers who will think that I’m hoarding.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    My deck is overdue for pressure washing, but I was caught with an empty 5 gallon gas can when the shortage hit. Looks like the deck will have to wait a few weeks before it gets blasted. I will not fill up my can while there’s a shortage. Mainly because I don’t want to deprive someone else of really necessary gas, but also I don’t want to get the evil eye from other customers who will think that I’m hoarding.
    Jo-Max Deck Wash (mix with bleach + water) in a garden sprayer, hose off after a few minutes with water, might suffice.

Buying one of these for the home...never gonna have to worry about a gas shortage again! Putting it close to my bunker, but not that close Do you guys think 300 gallons is enough or should I splurge for the 500 gallon?
    http://www.shoproyall.com/300-Gallon...all_p_232.html

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Buying one of these for the home...never gonna have to worry about a gas shortage again! Putting it close to my bunker, but not that close Do you guys think 300 gallons is enough or should I splurge for the 500 gallon?
    http://www.shoproyall.com/300-Gallon...all_p_232.html
    It's a little expensive. Maybe you could find a 300-gallon plastic bag.

Variations on this meme never fail:

Gas Shortage.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    It's a little expensive. Maybe you could find a 300-gallon plastic bag.
    I checked, fuel bladders aren't really any cheaper.

http://atlinc.com/rangeextender.html

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Neighborhood Walmart had gas ... no premium or mid-grade, but my humble steed (Honda Fit) is happy with regular unleaded. I was at about 1/3 tank - I probably could have waited it out, but there was a chance I'd be quite low by the time things resolved - so why sweat it? It's not like I hoarded or stocked up; it only took 6.5 gallons to top up.

I only have a 1 gallon can for my lawnmower, and it's low. But the mower tank is full, and it too is a fuel sipper, so I think I have 2-3 cuttings left. I also have a reel mower that I bought when I was between gas mowers and deciding what to get next. It's such a throwback, but it doesn't work as well on my second-rate lawn. And it's a workout and a half, wow. Still, it is a backup plan. And a monument to good intentions.
    Well, unless we know the location of your neighborhood Walmart, this doesn't help us all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Well, unless we know the location of your neighborhood Walmart, this doesn't help us all that much.
    I honestly didn’t even know Walmart had gas stations.

I have no gas. Had to take my wife's car to work today.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I recently bought a manual reel mower. Much nicer cut compared to my electric rotary mower which is no different than my old gas mower. The problem I face is undulations in the yard require me to mow lengthwise and crosswise to get a uniform cut. So a lot more walking. The mower itself is 30 lbs lighter than my electric which itself is 30 PBS lighter than the old gas mower, so it isn't so bad.

I honestly didn’t even know Walmart had gas stations.
    Walmart has a tie in with Murphy USA gas stations. They are located at some Walmart SuperCenters.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    oooh - sorry about that.

Just exit my subdivision, and take a left at the light. It's about a mile down on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Walmart has a tie in with Murphy USA gas stations. They are located at some Walmart SuperCenters.
    And the Neighborhood Walmarts often have gas pumps out front/nearby, but aren't branded as Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I recently bought a manual reel mower. Much nicer cut compared to my electric rotary mower which is no different than my old gas mower. The problem I face is undulations in the yard require me to mow lengthwise and crosswise to get a uniform cut. So a lot more walking. The mower itself is 30 lbs lighter than my electric which itself is 30 PBS lighter than the old gas mower, so it isn't so bad.
    If I had the energy, I'd try that, but it's rough enough on me to push that thing along my normal path around the yard, let alone doubling it. I suppose some of that is gearing (so the reel turns faster than the wheels), and some of that is the friction from the reel blades just meeting the straight edge. It's neat to connect with that old way of doing things, but in my situation it's not highly effective, thus impractical.

When my self-propelled walk behind gas mower wore out a few years back, I borrowed a neighbor's pure push gas mower one week. I found that it wasn't much harder to push at all, since it was so much lighter than the self-propelled one (which often was just an assist). It also used fuel at almost half the rate. The only thing I miss about the self-propelled mower is that its grass catcher was a little larger, which saves me a few stops in the fall when I collect leaves that way.