Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Shortage

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    The avatar is my inimitable Horny Car from my days at Duke. (Look closely...
    I’m just gonna pretend this is the whole post, and let my imagination fill in the rest.

(And no, I’m not gonna look)

For those that aren’t aware, there’s an app in the Apple Store if you have an Apple phone called Gas Buddy. The app enables you to search for gas stations in your area. It is useful and should give you a good idea of where you can go to purchase gas.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    For those that aren’t aware, there’s an app in the Apple Store if you have an Apple phone called Gas Buddy. The app enables you to search for gas stations in your area. It is useful and should give you a good idea of where you can go to purchase gas.
    It's a poor reporter here. Not sure how it gleans information, but by the time gas is listed on the app, it's usually gone here in Asheville.

I believe the news just reported that the pipeline is back open!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It's a poor reporter here. Not sure how it gleans information, but by the time gas is listed on the app, it's usually gone here in Asheville.
    It's crowd sourced. Most of the data for Durham is 24 hours old, which is utterly useless. It's actually easier to look at a real time traffic map. If you know there's a gas station nearby, the traffic slow downs will tell you who has gas. Pathetic, but at least is semi-useful.

Whenever this sort of thing happens, I think about Johnny Carson and the toilet-paper shortage. For those of you off-planet at the time, Carson made a joke on the Tonight Show about a toilet-paper shortage.

There was no toilet-paper shortage.

Until there was. The next day panicked shoppers bought every roll of toilet paper that could be found, thus creating the very shortage they feared.

If it weren't for people topping off half-full (or is that half-empty?) tanks, we might have a tight squeeze. But not a state of emergency.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Whenever this sort of thing happens, I think about Johnny Carson and the toilet-paper shortage. For those of you off-planet at the time, Carson made a joke on the Tonight Show about a toilet-paper shortage.

Until there was. The next day panicked shoppers bought every roll of toilet paper that could be found, thus creating the very shortage they feared.

If it weren't for people topping off half-full (or is that half-empty?) tanks, we might have a tight squeeze. But not a state of emergency.
    Some Wall Street analyst referred to the VA governor “gas emergency order” as a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

We prefer “pre-planet”, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I achieved success at 4:30 this morning. One advantage of being an early bird.
    Bob, you achieved success decades ago! What you did yesterday was get gas.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

For those of us who live near the coast, this is a warm-up for the upcoming hurricane season.

my gas app is my eyeballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    So, I wasted my time adding that app to my phone yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    So, I wasted my time adding that app to my phone yesterday.
    Depending on where you are.

So, supply is returning, but supply was never the issue. It's the panic buying. So all we need is for people to act in a calm and responsible manner.

Why do I feel less optimistic about this resolving quickly than I would have 18 months ago?

I will be driving from northern Virginia to the Outer Banks this weekend, so I thought I'd be smart and avoid the crowds by heading out for gas at 11:30 last night. No luck. I drove by the 9 or10 gas stations closest to me - all closed with no gas. I'm hoping the situation improves by Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    I will be driving from northern Virginia to the Outer Banks this weekend, so I thought I'd be smart and avoid the crowds by heading out for gas at 11:30 last night. No luck. I drove by the 9 or10 gas stations closest to me - all closed with no gas. I'm hoping the situation improves by Saturday.
    Yikes. I've been in bad gas spots on the Outer Banks without a crisis. Good luck.

I was supposed to go hiking/camping around the Pisgah national forest this weekend (Friday to Saturday) then head towards Sylva to see some family before coming back on Monday but I’m thinking that might not be the best idea now. I drive a newer Prius with 3/4 of a tank in it but I’m not much of a gambler anymore.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Tons of gas here in Vegas. Who wants some? I’ll ship it to you in the plastic bags I collect from the grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I was supposed to go hiking/camping around the Pisgah national forest this weekend (Friday to Saturday) then head towards Sylva to see some family before coming back on Monday but I’m thinking that might not be the best idea now. I drive a newer Prius with 3/4 of a tank in it but I’m not much of a gambler anymore.
    Same here - supposed to camp in Brevard for a weekend of mountain biking. I can make it there and part of the way home but not all the way. For now we are just watching to see if stations get refilled by the weekend.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

So far as I can tell, we're encountering no problems here in Orlando. I filled up my car yesterday afternoon at a nearby station, and my wife filled up hers at a different station across town while she was out on an errand this morning. Neither of us had to wait in a line -- in fact, there were openings at other pumps -- and the prices were the same as last week.

I'm optimistic that the situation in the Carolinas will be resolved by the middle of next week, because we're planning to drive up to visit with family and friends over that weekend.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    An awful lot of DC area gas stations seem to be out of gas. I found a station with gas at 5:30 am this morning, but had to buy premium.

My wife saw a gasoline truck refilling a local gas station around midday, in NW DC, so there is hope.