Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Shortage

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    As I was planning to travel from Nashville to Myrtle Beach tomorrow could those posting please identify what areas they are talking about. We have two choices, via Asheville or Atlanta. Here in Nashville we still have gas, just long lines at the wholesale clubs.
    Asheville is definitely not a good option, gas-wise. We were the first to run out.

Honestly if you have an option to reschedule, it might be the better plan.

People are just so stupid.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Here's my story, which started this weekend in Charleston. (I don't live in Charleston).

I was being a good son, visiting Mom, and my stepdad told us about the pipeline security breach/shutdown on Saturday morning.
    "Fill up now" he said. Pffft. That guy is a Fox news addict. (Literally) Whatever.
    Still, and regardless of his heeding words, I filled up simply because I had to drive home the next day. I cashed in on some Harris Teeter points and got my go for 2.59. (Average seemed to be about 2.79)

So I drive home to New Bern, and get in with a half tank left. We are going camping this weekend, and have been looking forward to our adventure in the middle of South Carolina. Facebook starts blowing up about how gas can't be found.

It's late, but I holler at my girlfriend to come and think. She's been looking forward to this trip for a long time, and I have too. Do we take a chance of being stranded in Timbuktu? So I look up NC state park camping spots, knowing full and well that they'll all be taken..but also thinking "Well, maybe someone will cancel because they don't want to be stuck on our side of Timbuktu."

Nothing. Nowhere. Except for literally two sites on Kerr Lake, and one is with gorgeous "beach" access. Reserved it. Backup plan in play.

This morning, on the suggestion of Ozzie, I didn't download the gasbuddy app, but went to their website. Everywhere showed up empty, except for one station 10 miles away. I took a chance with her car, thinking that if I got lucky, I could at least fill up and we'd syphon into other less gas friendly but RV towing car for the weekend.

There was a line, but it was short. And cheap! Everyone else in town had their fuel at least 2.79, this pump was still 2.59. One five minute wait later, I was driving out with a full tank back to get our other and more important camping car.

The line was a little longer when I got back, and the pump ran a lot slower. But long story short, (too late for that) both vehicles filled for the cheapest gas in town.

I'm not worried about finding gas this weekend, but I'm at ease knowing that IF that comes to pass, we can make it to our campsite and back on our full tank, and then have another vehicle to share for the rest of the week.

Whew.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I achieved success at 4:30 this morning. One advantage of being an early bird.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Bit of a challenge finding gas in Myrtle Beach for the trip home today. Finally found a station with a line of cars instead of pumps closed. Got to the pump and was told they were out of regular gas so pumped 87 cents of the mid grade before it ran out. Had to fill up with premium. At least I got enough me home tomorrow. Then park it I guess until sanity returns.

Just a guess but I bet the yahoos are stocking up on ammo too.
    No we already have plenty .
    Always buy in bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    In Asheville we got a headstart on this two days ago. We love to panic buy.
    Yesterday I followed several cars passing through a Walmart gas island. There were weird signs saying, "We have gas, but no regular or premium." I think the only option was diesel. In any event no one stopped.

At the next station there was gas and no line when I got there. I filled up and passed a line forming as I left. I guess the people figured if I had panicked it was time for them to panic also. I take pride in my leadership.

Usually these issues resolve within a week in Asheville. We've had three or four of these in the last fifteen years.

But usually they are very regional, not from Florida to Virginia.

This could get uncomfortable.

My golf course sent out a message that they were scheduled a gas delivery this week. Not going to happen etc..

So they have decided not to cut the roughs .. will cut fairways.. ( no, the golf course isn't important in the scheme of life )

From what I have read ( not mentioned on any national news last evening ) , they will open the pipeline manually. Gas will flow starting today or this evening. They've just never had to do it before.

This will become political,, like everything. I'm going to play golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    My golf course sent out a message that they were scheduled a gas delivery this week. Not going to happen etc..

So they have decided not to cut the roughs .. will cut fairways.. ( no, the golf course isn't important in the scheme of life )

From what I have read ( not mentioned on any national news last evening ) , they will open the pipeline manually. Gas will flow starting today or this evening. They've just never had to do it before.

This will become political,, like everything. I'm going to play golf.
    Oh it already has. Locally, half blame Trump for four years of being soft on Russia, the others blame Biden for not shoring up cybersecurity.

But usually they are very regional, not from Florida to Virginia.
    Those of us west of the Mississippi call that regional.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Tesla owners are rejoicing!
    Seems that way, but they shouldn't fool themselves - the electrical grid operators could get hacked just as this fuel pipeline operator was.

Maybe at some point we'll take computer security seriously.
    Maybe after we try everything else first.

[edit: counting myself lucky ... we just returned Monday from a 1000 mile roundtrip to SonCspan37421's college graduation over the weekend. I heard about the pipeline but, not seeing any panic buying over the weekend, we just went with our normal plan. My mistake was not refilling upon exhausted arrival at home ... I have about 1/3rd of a tank left, but don't have to be anywhere in particular. We're just low on fresh food, but live 1.3 mile from a grocery store].
    Last edited by cspan37421; 05-12-2021 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Those of us west of the Mississippi call that regional.
    Well, the previous shortages have been restricted to Asheville and surrounding counties. Those seemed to resolve within a week to ten days. This is clearly much larger of an issue.

Oh it already has. Locally, half blame Trump for four years of being soft on Russia, the others blame Biden for not shoring up cybersecurity.
    Basically the same thing I told my wife this morning. We have a scheduled mini-vacation in Myrtle Beach, SC to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary next week and now I'm sweating gas problems. Hopefully, this will all be worked out by Tuesday when we leave Winston Salem, NC.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Basically the same thing I told my wife this morning. We have a scheduled mini-vacation in Myrtle Beach, SC to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary next week and now I'm sweating gas problems. Hopefully, this will all be worked out by Tuesday when we leave Winston Salem, NC.

GoDuke!
    Next Tuesday seems possible to likely. Folks intending to travel this coming weekend are taking a big chance.

Next Tuesday seems possible to likely. Folks intending to travel this coming weekend are taking a big chance.
    Thank you for that information. I have a friend who is in MB this week. He and his family are coming home Monday. I'll reach out to him and get more information this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Thank you for that information. I have a friend who is in MB this week. He and his family are coming home Monday. I'll reach out to him and get more information this weekend.
    Maybe they are coming home and maybe they aren't!

I hope this resolves quickly, but this the most wide-spread gas issues I've seen since... Carter?

Maybe they are coming home and maybe they aren't!

I hope this resolves quickly, but this the most wide-spread gas issues I've seen since... Carter?
    Without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I achieved success at 4:30 this morning. One advantage of being an early bird.
    Hey Bob, I'm coming down to the beach next week, where did you have success?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Looking at your avatar, I’m guessing you’re looking for diesel?
    No, I'm good with just regular, which is what my avatar needed. The avatar is my inimitable Horny Car from my days at Duke. (Look closely...there are horns on it.)

Right now, it doesn't matter what grade of gas I'm looking for. WTVD reporting that 72% of Triangle stations are out of gas.

My son planned a vacation to Atlanta starting tomorrow. Fortunately, as a grad student whose semester just let out, he was free to wait an hour in the CostCo line. He's borrowing our Prius for the trip, so one ten-gallon tank will easily take him all the way. He'll be there for ten days, and by then I don't expect there will be a problem. Glad he had the time, because I didn't.