Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Gas Shortage

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    what type of car is this?
    It is a Mini Cooper Countryman with an automatic transmission.
    I routinely got 34 or 35 mpg out of my regular Mini Cooper with a stick shift.

The other way to have a less deleterious impact on the environment is to reduce your overall amount of driving. When I moved to the Boston area in '07, I was able to reduce my 22 mile commute that I had from Greensboro to Winston-Salem down to 5 miles. I was able to keep my commute relatively short at 6 miles when I moved to the Cincinnati area a couple years later. Unfortunately, my move to San Antonio saw my commute balloon up to 20 miles. So, while not as "sexy" as hypermiling, careful location selection can be as much or more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    The other way to have a less deleterious impact on the environment is to reduce your overall amount of driving. When I moved to the Boston area in '07, I was able to reduce my 22 mile commute that I had from Greensboro to Winston-Salem down to 5 miles. I was able to keep my commute relatively short at 6 miles when I moved to the Cincinnati area a couple years later. Unfortunately, my move to San Antonio saw my commute balloon up to 20 miles. So, while not as "sexy" as hypermiling, careful location selection can be as much or more effective.
    yes, this is an important point...our cars are both on the large size, but last year my wife drove 6500 miles or so, I drove fewer than 3,000...

In other relevant news to this thread, it seems here in Asheville things are finally getting back to normal.