Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Gas Shortage

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    this reminds me of some trips to NC decades ago when the only way they'd cook a hamburger was essentially burnt. Genial arguing did no good, it looked like a hockey puck.
    One person gets trichinosis...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    One person gets trichinosis...
    Ha, i've heard that excuse, but there's essentially no trichinosis in the U.S. now...

I'm a little wary of undercooked ground meat that I didn't grind. Seeing someone order a rare or medium rare burger at a restaurant makes me want to gag.

Edit: For similar reasons, I'm not a big fan of tuna/chicken salad from chains/restaurants either. Just not enough trust for me

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm a little wary of undercooked ground meat that I didn't grind. Seeing someone order a rare or medium rare burger at a restaurant makes me want to gag.
    It all depends on the restaurant...a lot of places know how to cook a glorious medium rare burger...but not the chain restaurants...I don't even want to try their beef no matter how it's cooked, might get those floor droppings we've read about.

How about the new bean burgers? There is no gas shortage after one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post

Edit: For similar reasons, I'm not a big fan of tuna/chicken salad from chains/restaurants either. Just not enough trust for me
    I rarely order burgers or steak out and about. I can perform much better at home for a fraction of the cost and greater consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I rarely order burgers or steak out and about. I can perform much better at home for a fraction of the cost and greater consistency.
    this is very true...

this is very true...
    I sense you and I would get along well.

I do recall in my VT days knocking about six inches of snow off the charcoal grill to cook burgers.

I don't have much of a problem with rarer cuts of actual stake out and about. I tend to prefer medium or medium-rare depending on where I'm eating, but that's just because I prefer it cooked that way not out of any sanitation concerns.

I do recall in my VT days knocking about six inches of snow off the charcoal grill to cook burgers.
    In college, I would stand over the grill in the rain with an umbrella to cook ground sirloin burgers, my favorite meal, with potato salad and baked beans. Makes me hungry thinking about it!

NYC water history

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I generally assume that anyone who orders bottled flat water in a NYC restaurant either isn't from here or is really pretentious.

I am not an engineer but the engineering behind how the water gets here is fascinating. The water flows 40+ miles largely using gravity through aqueducts. And much of the original work was done in the 1800s. Today a project like that would be very difficult to get approved then would costs many billions.

Many argue that NY bagels and pizza are so good because of the water that goes into them. I went to a pizza place in Philly that claimed it got its water from NY.
    The history of drinking water in New York City is fascinating. After the American Revolution, New York City gave the opportunity to supply cleaner drinking water to a company headed by Aaron Burr, the Manhattan Company. Unfortunately, the Manhattan Company chose to use water from the pond from inside New York City, which was not clean water. As I recall, New York City had frequent outbreaks of cholera. The Manhattan Company also got a banking license and chose to focus on banking, rather than supplying clean water.

Eventually, the Manhattan Company merged with another company and became – wait for it – Chase Manhattan.

https://blog.mcny.org/2013/07/16/the...-to-manhattan/

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherTom View Post
    To really amaze the wait staff, order your chicken rare! After the horrified look, add just kidding.
    Yeah, that'll freak 'em out, all right. Everybody knows chicken is best when cooked medium.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I grill "fast" stuff all winter, such as fish, burgers and steak. My personal cold weather record a couple years ago was thick lamb chops at -13F...

That's cool!

We interrupt this subthread to get you back to the main thread...

Down to about a half a tank, I decided to gas it up today just in case. That gabe me the opportunity to calculate my mileage on that half tank.

Over the life of the car, I have averaged 30 mpg. My hypermiling efforts yielded.... drumroll please.... 38 mpg!

Yep. Almost 30% improved mileage!

My driving game is not as eco friendly as yours. If my GPS says I will arrive at “x” time, I make a wager with myself that I will make it in “x” minus “y”. I usually win unless the Highway Patrol is out in force.

BTW, one of the few advantages of being old is that the police usually just tell me to slow down so that I can get home to my rocking chair safely.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Down to about a half a tank, I decided to gas it up today just in case. That gabe me the opportunity to calculate my mileage on that half tank.

Over the life of the car, I have averaged 30 mpg. My hypermiling efforts yielded... drumroll please... 38 mpg!

what type of car is this?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Over the life of the car, I have averaged 30 mpg. My hypermiling efforts yielded... drumroll please... 38 mpg!

Nicely done. I find I get +20% on a pretty regular basis, making sure to avoid unsafe situations like those described in the article posted above about the extreme hypermiler. +30% is possible, but harder. My reference is the lovely Mrs. Phredd, who has no interest in adjusting her habits.

I'm not the first to notice that our warmer weather helps, as does the removal of the snow tires...those are worth several mpg, but in the winter they're worth not hitting a tree.

I'm not the first to notice that our warmer weather helps, as does the removal of the snow tires...those are worth several mpg, but in the winter they're worth not hitting a tree.
    Yeah, that body damage plays havoc with gas milage when cost is factored into the equation. 🤣