Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Shortage

Gas Shortage

Virginia Governor Northam declares State of Emergency due to gas shortage:

https://www.pilotonline.com/business...d54-story.html

Lots of gas stations have no gas and at those that do cars are lined up down the road.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Virginia Governor Northam declares State of Emergency due to gas shortage:

https://www.pilotonline.com/business...d54-story.html

Lots of gas stations have no gas and at those that do cars are lined up down the road.
    Looks like it is in VA all the way down to FL. Tesla owners are rejoicing! Good luck to those who are impacted.

Not to threadjack, but I saw an article earlier today about the VA Republican governor nominee and I think he is the son of Duke basketball player Carroll Youngkin (who was way before my time). Very wealthy Carlyle Group guy, along with Duke alum/mega-donor David Rubenstein, though I think Rubenstein's politics are different.

I couldn’t find gas anywhere here so I bought large quantities of milk, bread and toilet paper instead.

In Asheville we got a headstart on this two days ago. We love to panic buy.

Bit of a challenge finding gas in Myrtle Beach for the trip home today. Finally found a station with a line of cars instead of pumps closed. Got to the pump and was told they were out of regular gas so pumped 87 cents of the mid grade before it ran out. Had to fill up with premium. At least I got enough me home tomorrow. Then park it I guess until sanity returns.

Just a guess but I bet the yahoos are stocking up on ammo too.

This is very wild to see.

Literally had NO clue. I drove into town past the gas station with cars lined up about 20 deep at every pump and looked for a “free gas” sign Thinking the station must be doing a promotional giveaway

For years, industry in America was guided to Just-in-time/lean manufacturing as a way to better manage operations, quality, and to reduce the carrying cost of inventory. Seems to me that a little fat in the supply chain might be helping us out right about now.

FWIW, I've seen this a few times now during my years here in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    For years, industry in America was guided to Just-in-time/lean manufacturing as a way to better manage operations, quality, and to reduce the carrying cost of inventory. Seems to me that a little fat in the supply chain might be helping us out right about now.
    It works great until it doesn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It works great until it doesn't!
    And with interest rates so low, the carrying cost of inventory is minor. Until rates spike at least.

Got aced out of filling up my tank today by being stupid.

Heard about the shortage, saw that my tank was only about 1/3rd full. On the way home, spied a little-used gas station that only had one car at it; open pump in front of the woman pumping gas. So I pulled in and up to the pump, got out of my car, and saw that it was diesel only. Dang.

The woman says, "I can back out for you." Shoulda woulda coulda taken her up on it. Instead, I say, "That's ok; I'll drive around. That way you can pull straight out." So I get into my car and drive around. By the time I do so, there are two or three cars lined behind her that came outta nowhere, all of whom came there AFTER me, but there is no way to get back in that line at that point.

If I had known then what I know now, I would've taken my lumps and lined up behind the three cars. Instead, I thought I'd gas up closer to home. By the time I got to the gas stations closer to my house, there were tens of cars, and they were lined up down the street! That tiny little line of two or three cars looked pretty danged good, in retrospect.

Oh, well.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    And with interest rates so low, the carrying cost of inventory is minor. Until rates spike at least.
    And with interest rates so low, the cost of building out the supply chain as well as building better infrastructure is ridiculously cheap, but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Looks like it is in VA all the way down to FL. Tesla owners are rejoicing! Good luck to those who are impacted.

Not to threadjack, but I saw an article earlier today about the VA Republican governor nominee and I think he is the son of Duke basketball player Carroll Youngkin (who was way before my time). Very wealthy Carlyle Group guy, along with Duke alum/mega-donor David Rubenstein, though I think Rubenstein's politics are different.
    We seem ti be doing fine sofar.
    I see people lined up si im guessing they are sort of suffering from a self inflicted wound.
    Plus a havr about 20 to 25 gallons in my hurricane stash that ill burn anyway.
    Yes i used fuel stabilizer.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    ...Not to threadjack, but I saw an article earlier today about the VA Republican governor nominee and I think he is the son of Duke basketball player Carroll Youngkin (who was way before my time). Very wealthy Carlyle Group guy, along with Duke alum/mega-donor David Rubenstein, though I think Rubenstein's politics are different.
    Not really very different. Youngkin is a moderate to left aisle leaning Republican. Rubenstein is a bit of a conservative Democrat. I didn't realize Youngkin's father played at Duke? One of his commercials touts how he worked his way through school out of poverty and loss.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Not really very different. Youngkin is a moderate to left aisle leaning Republican. Rubenstein is a bit of a conservative Democrat. I didn't realize Youngkin's father played at Duke? One of his commercials touts how he worked his way through school out of poverty and loss.
    His dad was a 6-6 center who averaged a double double in the late 50s/early 60s. Others can likely provide more color.

Youngkin is not far right but anyone who still is very focused on election integrity and is actively campaigning with Cruz is not a moderate/left leaning. Trump just actively endorsed him and he hasn’t said anything yet about that.

Please steer clear of political discussions, even those tenuously connected to Duke basketball.

Thanks,

-jk

Looking at the GasBuddy app, there is not a single gas station that has gas near me. That's 49 stations reporting no gas.

I'm so glad that my family all still works from home for the most part. But some co-workers asked to reschedule time-critical meetings today because they had to go top-off their tanks. Meanwhile, my daughter, a speech language pathologist, was busy doing teletherapy during the day. She left to provide in-home therapy to her medically fragile pediatric client who isn't capable of teletherapy. Fortunately, she left early enough that the traffic jams due to long lines for gas didn't make her late. She wasn't able to get gas on her way home. She thinks she has enough to make it to all her other medically fragile clients this week (if they aren't medically fragile, she does teletherapy only through the pandemic).

Governor Cooper urged everyone not to top off, panic buy, or hoard, because it would cause more problems. The local news showed the tanker trucks in Greensboro being filled from the pipeline that is working via manual control. There's another pipeline and options that provide 55% of our gas. But lots of people waited hours to fill up their tanks and will have plenty, while others who couldn't take time off during the day or require fueling their tanks every few days are out of luck.

It sounds like we'll be fine by the weekend. I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Looking at the GasBuddy app, there is not a single gas station that has gas near me. That's 49 stations reporting no gas.

I'm so glad that my family all still works from home for the most part. But some co-workers asked to reschedule time-critical meetings today because they had to go top-off their tanks. Meanwhile, my daughter, a speech language pathologist, was busy doing teletherapy during the day. She left to provide in-home therapy to her medically fragile pediatric client who isn't capable of teletherapy. Fortunately, she left early enough that the traffic jams due to long lines for gas didn't make her late. She wasn't able to get gas on her way home. She thinks she has enough to make it to all her other medically fragile clients this week (if they aren't medically fragile, she does teletherapy only through the pandemic).

Governor Cooper urged everyone not to top off, panic buy, or hoard, because it would cause more problems. The local news showed the tanker trucks in Greensboro being filled from the pipeline that is working via manual control. There's another pipeline and options that provide 55% of our gas. But lots of people waited hours to fill up their tanks and will have plenty, while others who couldn't take time off during the day or require fueling their tanks every few days are out of luck.

It sounds like we'll be fine by the weekend. I hope so.
    Looking at your avatar, I’m guessing you’re looking for diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think he gets his fuel from Willie Nelson.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    As I was planning to travel from Nashville to Myrtle Beach tomorrow could those posting please identify what areas they are talking about. We have two choices, via Asheville or Atlanta. Here in Nashville we still have gas, just long lines at the wholesale clubs.