Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Shortage

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Unfortunately, the real message might be to stay off 75 mph freeways...
    Haha yeah I guess but that would be one long trip from Vegas to NC. If the trailer is packed really good with the weight distribution correct and no movement of the load, 70 mph should be ok for me. It’s something I will have to feel out but I’m pretty confident I can go 70. One thing is for sure, 70 in the right lane on I-40 across the country will be a nice easy drive.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Haha yeah I guess but that would be one long trip from Vegas to NC. If the trailer is packed really good with the weight distribution correct and no movement of the load, 70 mph should be ok for me. It’s something I will have to feel out but I’m pretty confident I can go 70. One thing is for sure, 70 in the right lane on I-40 across the country will be a nice easy drive.
    I hear the I-40 approach to Memphis might be a bit damp.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    The steps don't register on my watch though, any time e I'm pushing something one in ten steps counts.
    Put your watch in your pocket. Works like a charm when I push the grandsons in the stroller down to the pond to feed the turtles. I want credit for those steps I took pushing two kids in a tandem stroller up and down the hills!

I went to and from High Point NC to Washington DC this weekend. No problems filling up.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Put your watch in your pocket. Works like a charm when I push the grandsons in the stroller down to the pond to feed the turtles. I want credit for those steps I took pushing two kids in a tandem stroller up and down the hills!

Thank you, I had not thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Unfortunately, the real message might be to stay off 75 mph freeways...
    That eliminates the state of Texas.

For years, industry in America was guided to Just-in-time/lean manufacturing as a way to better manage operations, quality, and to reduce the carrying cost of inventory. Seems to me that a little fat in the supply chain might be helping us out right about now.

FWIW, I've seen this a few times now during my years here in Texas.
    This is the key question.

Just-in-time inventories were behind much of last year’s panic about gowns, masks, and ventilators, and that same concept seems to me to have been behind the Texas freeze failure a couple of months ago.

It’s been surprising to me that the news hasn’t focused much on the fact that we have apparently decided to live one step from disaster in exchange for squeezing out every nickel.

Which I’ll be ripping through briefly. Staying in a little town called Adrian the first night. Looks like it has a population of about 20 people.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

Just-in-time inventories were behind much of last year’s panic about gowns, masks, and ventilators, and that same concept seems to me to have been behind the Texas freeze failure a couple of months ago.

It’s been surprising to me that the news hasn’t focused much on the fact that we have apparently decided to live one step from disaster in exchange for squeezing out every nickel.
    This is the third (maybe fourth) gas shortage in Asheville since 2008. The previous ones were hardly mentioned nationally, I assume to limit the panic buying that would cause more widespread shortages. I do understand that, but it also feels sort of like I've been gaslighted when no one outside of Asheville knows what I'm talking about.

BusinessWeek had a very good piece on this a few weeks ago. A lot of automakers (hello, Ford) are really hurting as they can't get enough computer chips for their cars, and it's costing them hundreds of millions of $. However, Just in Time leader Toyota is said to have learned a lesson after the earthquake 10 years ago or so, in which one supplier of parts largely shut down Toyota production due to quake damage. Ever since then, Toyota (while still embracing the JIT concept) carefully monitors all its suppliers, and they took steps to ensure they have enough chips for their cars...

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Do you get double clicks pushing two?

It's one thing for a business to decide that a little extra profit is worth the risk of infrequent random shutdowns. I can understand that to some extent. If you have to shutdown for 2 weeks every 5 years because of JIT inventory management, but we can make 10x that cost in profit over the same time...well, that's a sensible trade-off.

however, for folks that have no supplies of water, food, always run their gas tank near empty...I don't get it.

Some responses just write themselves.

But we should keep Austin.

Things seem to be slowly turning back to normal. Saw about a third of stations with fuel this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    It's a method of maximizing your car's gas mileage. Some people can get 30% better mileage than what is expected for their vehicle by adhering to the principles. Oversimplifying, it is driving without acceleration (in the physics sense of the word) as much as possible.
    I read that and all I can think is "basically drive the opposite of the way I drive". My car shows MPG since the last refill. It's not uncommon for me to be around 17.5 or so. With my wife's car in the shop, I have a loaner from the dealer so my wife has been driving my car. I got in it the other night and it showed 22.5 MPG since the last fill up (and about 1/2 of that was probably with me driving). I just laughed, put the car in sport-plus mode, turned off traction control and dropped the hammer!

More pertinent to this thread, yesterday my daughter was getting quite low on gas and was on her way to work here in NW Raleigh. The 4th gas station she stopped at had fuel (and I logged on and Googled around to find her some in real time). If you're local to me it was on the corner of Strickland Road and Creedmoor. She was a bit frustrated and didn't appreciate my Dad comment: "This is a reminder that you shouldn't let your car get this low on gas, especially in this situation".

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Usually cruise control is good on flat terrain. If you’re in hilly country there’s a better strategy than constant speed if your goal is maximizing mileage. You want to gain speed going downhill and give it back going uphill. Of course this strategy could result in road rage from the drivers behind you.☹️
    Or a speeding ticket on the downhill stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    however, for folks that have no supplies of water, food, always run their gas tank near empty...I don't get it.
    A whole lot of this country doesn't have the income to stay stocked up. And bottled water is a curse on this country. One of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on its stupid citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    A whole lot of this country doesn't have the income to stay stocked up. And bottled water is a curse on this country. One of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on its stupid citizens.
    Yes. A $200 water filter would be a much better investment for 98% of the population. And less taxing on the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yes. A $200 water filter would be a much better investment for 98% of the population. And less taxing on the environment.
    People used to donate cases of water for us to take on the mission trip. When I became more of a leader in the trips, I made people bring their re-usable water bottles (which everyone had) and asked for no more water donations. Then I went on the hunt for the best water bottle. I found one that you can tip and drink or suck on the straw - your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    People used to donate cases of water for us to take on the mission trip. When I became more of a leader in the trips, I made people bring their re-usable water bottles (which everyone had) and asked for no more water donations. Then I went on the hunt for the best water bottle. I found one that you can tip and drink or suck on the straw - your choice.
    Well,

don't leave us hanging?