Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Shortage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gas Shortage

Virginia Governor Northam declares State of Emergency due to gas shortage:

https://www.pilotonline.com/business...d54-story.html

Lots of gas stations have no gas and at those that do cars are lined up down the road.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Virginia Governor Northam declares State of Emergency due to gas shortage:

https://www.pilotonline.com/business...d54-story.html

Lots of gas stations have no gas and at those that do cars are lined up down the road.
    Looks like it is in VA all the way down to FL. Tesla owners are rejoicing! Good luck to those who are impacted.

Not to threadjack, but I saw an article earlier today about the VA Republican governor nominee and I think he is the son of Duke basketball player Carroll Youngkin (who was way before my time). Very wealthy Carlyle Group guy, along with Duke alum/mega-donor David Rubenstein, though I think Rubenstein's politics are different.

I couldn’t find gas anywhere here so I bought large quantities of milk, bread and toilet paper instead.

For years, industry in America was guided to Just-in-time/lean manufacturing as a way to better manage operations, quality, and to reduce the carrying cost of inventory. Seems to me that a little fat in the supply chain might be helping us out right about now.

FWIW, I've seen this a few times now during my years here in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    For years, industry in America was guided to Just-in-time/lean manufacturing as a way to better manage operations, quality, and to reduce the carrying cost of inventory. Seems to me that a little fat in the supply chain might be helping us out right about now.
    It works great until it doesn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It works great until it doesn't!
    And with interest rates so low, the carrying cost of inventory is minor. Until rates spike at least.

Got aced out of filling up my tank today by being stupid.

Heard about the shortage, saw that my tank was only about 1/3rd full. On the way home, spied a little-used gas station that only had one car at it; open pump in front of the woman pumping gas. So I pulled in and up to the pump, got out of my car, and saw that it was diesel only. Dang.

The woman says, "I can back out for you." Shoulda woulda coulda taken her up on it. Instead, I say, "That's ok; I'll drive around. That way you can pull straight out." So I get into my car and drive around. By the time I do so, there are two or three cars lined behind her that came outta nowhere, all of whom came there AFTER me, but there is no way to get back in that line at that point.

If I had known then what I know now, I would've taken my lumps and lined up behind the three cars. Instead, I thought I'd gas up closer to home. By the time I got to the gas stations closer to my house, there were tens of cars, and they were lined up down the street! That tiny little line of two or three cars looked pretty danged good, in retrospect.

Oh, well.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

And with interest rates so low, the carrying cost of inventory is minor. Until rates spike at least.
    And with interest rates so low, the cost of building out the supply chain as well as building better infrastructure is ridiculously cheap, but yeah.

FWIW, I've seen this a few times now during my years here in Texas.
    This is the key question.

Just-in-time inventories were behind much of last year’s panic about gowns, masks, and ventilators, and that same concept seems to me to have been behind the Texas freeze failure a couple of months ago.

It’s been surprising to me that the news hasn’t focused much on the fact that we have apparently decided to live one step from disaster in exchange for squeezing out every nickel.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

Just-in-time inventories were behind much of last year’s panic about gowns, masks, and ventilators, and that same concept seems to me to have been behind the Texas freeze failure a couple of months ago.

It’s been surprising to me that the news hasn’t focused much on the fact that we have apparently decided to live one step from disaster in exchange for squeezing out every nickel.
    This is the third (maybe fourth) gas shortage in Asheville since 2008. The previous ones were hardly mentioned nationally, I assume to limit the panic buying that would cause more widespread shortages. I do understand that, but it also feels sort of like I've been gaslighted when no one outside of Asheville knows what I'm talking about.

BusinessWeek had a very good piece on this a few weeks ago. A lot of automakers (hello, Ford) are really hurting as they can't get enough computer chips for their cars, and it's costing them hundreds of millions of $. However, Just in Time leader Toyota is said to have learned a lesson after the earthquake 10 years ago or so, in which one supplier of parts largely shut down Toyota production due to quake damage. Ever since then, Toyota (while still embracing the JIT concept) carefully monitors all its suppliers, and they took steps to ensure they have enough chips for their cars...

It's one thing for a business to decide that a little extra profit is worth the risk of infrequent random shutdowns. I can understand that to some extent. If you have to shutdown for 2 weeks every 5 years because of JIT inventory management, but we can make 10x that cost in profit over the same time...well, that's a sensible trade-off.

however, for folks that have no supplies of water, food, always run their gas tank near empty...I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    however, for folks that have no supplies of water, food, always run their gas tank near empty...I don't get it.
    A whole lot of this country doesn't have the income to stay stocked up. And bottled water is a curse on this country. One of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on its stupid citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    A whole lot of this country doesn't have the income to stay stocked up. And bottled water is a curse on this country. One of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on its stupid citizens.
    Yes. A $200 water filter would be a much better investment for 98% of the population. And less taxing on the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yes. A $200 water filter would be a much better investment for 98% of the population. And less taxing on the environment.
    People used to donate cases of water for us to take on the mission trip. When I became more of a leader in the trips, I made people bring their re-usable water bottles (which everyone had) and asked for no more water donations. Then I went on the hunt for the best water bottle. I found one that you can tip and drink or suck on the straw - your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    People used to donate cases of water for us to take on the mission trip. When I became more of a leader in the trips, I made people bring their re-usable water bottles (which everyone had) and asked for no more water donations. Then I went on the hunt for the best water bottle. I found one that you can tip and drink or suck on the straw - your choice.
    Well,

don't leave us hanging?

So, as far as hypermiling goes, I'm trying it for this tank. I will update the thread to let you know how successful I can be.

So far I am finding that there are a lot of intriguing things to think about while driving this way. For example, after I come off the highway into downtown Norfolk, there is a stretch of three consecutive lights in close proximity. Worst thing for hypermiling is sitting at a red light. Second worse thing is rapidly accelerating.

So when I come off the highway, if I see the first light is green, is it better to rapidly accelerate, thus wasting gas temporarily, in order to get through the lights without stopping, which would presumably waste even MORE gas? On the other hand, at the red light, I am idling at about 900 rpms. So many decisions. So far, I have opted for accelerating to get through lights.

Also, when I am at a known really long light, since the weather is nice, I just turn off the car entirely and sit there. I turn it back on when the opposing light turns yellow so I am ready to go when it is time. I've been told that the amount of fuel it takes to start a modern car would be burned off in about 5 seconds of idling, so I think this is saving gas.

Again, this is only an experiment. My baseline mileage is 30 mpg. I wonder whether I will be able to get, say 35 mpg out of this tank with all this work? Maybe even better??? If it ends up getting me to something like 32 or 33, I am never doing this again.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Unless you're wearing your ice vest in the summer with the windows up and no AC, then you are a rank amateur compared to these guys, rsvman! (And that's pronounced "ama-tour", natch...)

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Also, when I am at a known really long light, since the weather is nice, I just turn off the car entirely and sit there. I turn it back on when the opposing light turns yellow so I am ready to go when it is time. I've been told that the amount of fuel it takes to start a modern car would be burned off in about 5 seconds of idling, so I think this is saving gas.
    This is the theory behind newer cars with auto stop/start functions. I'm still trying to figure out why my car overrides the function often, I other words what scenarios. I can always just turn it off, but I,m not against efficiency. Though the bigger decisions along those lines are where you live/work.

FWIW, the higher risk challenge is how far can you go after your low fuel indicator light comes on?

This is the theory behind newer cars with auto stop/start functions. I'm still trying to figure out why my car overrides the function often, I other words what scenarios. I can always just turn it off, but I,m not against efficiency. Though the bigger decisions along those lines are where you live/work.

FWIW, the higher risk challenge is how far can you go after your low fuel indicator light comes on?
    Ha...maybe the car keeps running because the A/C is runniing? I have no idea.

Yes, my on board electronics tell me my gas is not only low, but gone when in fact it still has three gallons in the tank...they are obviously trying to protect me from myself. Somehow I'd prefer an accurate gauge. I'm defending my right to run out of gas.