Don Altman Passes Away

My neighbor's stepfather, Don Altman passed away last evening at home at the age of 81 in Florida. He was a two sport superstar at Duke, QBing the Blue Devils to a Cotton Bowl victory in January of 1961, and pitching for the baseball team in the College World Series. He was an amazing athlete, and by all accounts an outstanding human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My neighbor's stepfather, Don Altman passed away last evening at home at the age of 81 in Florida. He was a two sport superstar at Duke, QBing the Blue Devils to a Cotton Bowl victory in January of 1961, and pitching for the baseball team in the College World Series. He was an amazing athlete, and by all accounts an outstanding human being.
    I didn't know him well, but he was a good guy back in the day.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

"The Rifleman." I remember watching him play. Very accurate passer, hence the name after a popular TV western starring Chuck Conner. Rest in Peace.

Section 15 (am I really this old?)

Ace Altman. Imagine how good you had to have been and how cool it must have been to quarterback your school to a Cotton Bowl victory and then pitch in the College World Series in the same academic year.

Jack Wilson, the father of my grade school best friend, was a running back on that same team and had a game ball from the Cotton Bowl. Also a great man.

One of the greats in Duke football history.
    May light perpetual shine upon Don and may he rise in glory.

We're slowly losing members of the Cotton Bowl team ... what a remarkable group.

Not many of us are left who remember seeing him in person. He was a very good, methodical, QB. He had some super teammates. Jack Wilson, as mentioned, but also Tee Moorman, Sr., and Dwight Bumgarner. I'm leaving others out, to my regret, but it was a fun team to watch. It was the team which used the 'swing end,' usually Moorman, who would swing to each sideline as called by Altman. This was a variant on the lonesome end formation, working off what Coach Murray called the "Duke T." (Similar to a Wing-T with the unbalanced line.) Altman's passes found first team AA Moorman regularly. Players had to go both ways back then, so the game was pretty exhausting. As a pitcher, Don never made it to the majors, but he was more than fine as a collegian.

For those of you who don't read the front page.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...wl-bill-murray

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Thanks so much for the article. I forwarded it along to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

I learned something, and kudos to getting Dick Havens ("Rhino") to contribute his remembrances from that team.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013