Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Haha. When was the last time we traveled to play a non-mandated, non-conference opponent on their court (not named St. John’s- they sort of count)?
    Edit: don’t include Davidson in Charlotte.
    precisely my point...last chance to do so...I really miss the days when we did this routinely (a looooong time ago).

Brendan Marks just tweeted that the MSU game is not happening this year. No reason given. Presumably it will be played in a future season.

(His tweet incorrectly states that we played last season in the ACC/B10 Challenge. Our game was not part of the Challenge, that was Illinois.)

https://twitter.com/brendanrmarks/st...583034885?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Brendan Marks just tweeted that the MSU game is not happening this year. No reason given. Presumably it will be played in a future season.

(His tweet incorrectly states that we played last season in the ACC/B10 Challenge. Our game was not part of the Challenge, that was Illinois.)

https://twitter.com/brendanrmarks/status/1417553452583034885?s=21
    That is a major bummer.

Oh well, maybe Duke can play Michigan State in a 2022 regional final or final four and beat them .

It's surprising how much we don't know about the schedule for the upcoming season. We know there will be 20 conference games. We know there will be a two game MTE event at Duke against weak competition. We know about the games with Kentucky, Gonzaga and Ohio State. We can guess at the exhibition games. However, by my count that leaves six nonconference games that we know nothing about. Usually by this point we know all or just about all of the nonconference opponents for the upcoming season, mostly because the news has leaked out of the schools Duke will be playing. Has Coach K's retirement slowed things down? Has Duke been more insistent on secrecy this year? Why would secrecy be so important? One thing I particularly wonder about is whether Duke will play a game in December in Barclay's Center in Brooklyn. That's where the ACC Tournament will be held this season. In the past, Coach K has liked to play a nonconference game on the court where the ACC Tournament will be held.

I'm guessing that all the remaining games will be at home against cupcakes. Seems unlikely that we would schedule another big opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    It's surprising how much we don't know about the schedule for the upcoming season. We know there will be 20 conference games. We know there will be a two game MTE event at Duke against weak competition. We know about the games with Kentucky, Gonzaga and Ohio State. We can guess at the exhibition games. However, by my count that leaves six non-conference games that we know nothing about. Usually by this point we know all or just about all of the non-conference opponents for the upcoming season, mostly because the news has leaked out of the schools Duke will be playing. Has Coach K's retirement slowed things down? Has Duke been more insistent on secrecy this year? Why would secrecy be so important? One thing I particularly wonder about is whether Duke will play a game in December in Barclay's Center in Brooklyn. That's where the ACC Tournament will be held this season. In the past, Coach K has liked to play a non-conference game on the court where the ACC Tournament will be held.
    I'm hoping for a game in the NYC area (besides the Champions Classic) in December like we have played since the late 90's. I put together a fraternity reunion around that game and typical can order 20-40 tickets for it. Can't do that for the Champions Classic.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I'm guessing that all the remaining games will be at home against cupcakes. Seems unlikely that we would schedule another big opponent.
    If we return to pre-COVID scheduling limits and practices, we have room for 1-2 additional quality opponents outside Cameron with MSU officially off the schedule. We actually do need someone in the 25-40 range as insurance in case we go 0-3 against KY/OSU/Gonzaga.

Getting a non-conference schedule by 8/1 for ticket sales probably isn't going to happen this year.

Yeah, like Stephen F. Austin or Vermont.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Sorry if this was discussed earlier, but I'm holdong out hope that we go to West Point. Maybe one of Harvard, UCF, Northwestern, Az. State. One in Chicago .
    A guy can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Sorry if this was discussed earlier, but I'm holdong out hope that we go to West Point. Maybe one of Harvard, UCF, Northwestern, Az. State. One in Chicago .
    A guy can dream.
    West Point is out. Army is playing at Duke in the MTE.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yeah, like Stephen F. Austin or Vermont.
    Ha, good one Sage. There should be an asterisk next to the "win" vs Vermont.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Maybe one of Harvard, UCF, Northwestern, Az. State. One in Chicago.
    K says he does not enjoy playing his former assistants/players. It means that either he loses (which he hates) or someone he loves loses (which he also hates). I guess it is possible that they try to turn this season into a whos who of folks who owe their careers to K, but I would be surprised if they go that route.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

When will the ACC schedule be released? I think Duke plays Clemson home and away this year - hoping I can get a ticket to the game at Clemson. Figure it is my best chance to see a game during K's final season. Odds of getting a ticket in Cameron are about the same as the anticipated selling price of said ticket - astronomical.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    When will the ACC schedule be released? I think Duke plays Clemson home and away this year - hoping I can get a ticket to the game at Clemson. Figure it is my best chance to see a game during K's final season. Odds of getting a ticket in Cameron are about the same as the anticipated selling price of said ticket - astronomical.
    It's been after Labor Day recently. Don't assume @Clemson will be the cheapest or easiest ticket. The best chance might also be @BC, @Wake, or @ND on a weeknight. It might even be @FSU.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    The last and only time I have attended a Duke basketball game at Clemson was Feb. 15, 1975 and Duke was humiliated 100-66. I certainly hope you have better luck.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke will host Cleveland State according to this twitter account

https://twitter.com/roccomiller8/sta...73311095508993

Very good team, the Vikings. They made the NCAA Tournament last year and bring back almost everyone. They also bring in former FSU G Nathaneal Jack and Pacific G Broc Finstuen. Not a lot of size on the team, but they have a lot of experience and will present a challenge.

Twittersphere is saying we’ve got a home game with Cleveland State on 12/18.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    It's been after Labor Day recently. Don't assume @Clemson will be the cheapest or easiest ticket. The best chance might also be @BC, @Wake, or @ND on a weeknight. It might even be @FSU.
    Hoping my inside source comes through for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Twittersphere is saying we’ve got a home game with Cleveland State on 12/18.
    This will be a nice early season test for Duke. They return all five starters from a team that made the tournament last season.

Here's some very long range schedule news. There will be another tournament in Portland next season in honor of Phil Knight -- the PK85 this time -- and Duke will be part of it. Here's the list of teams participating:

Oregon Ducks
    North Carolina Tar Heels
    Duke Blue Devils
    Gonzaga Zags
    Florida Gators
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Butler Bulldogs
    Texas Longhorns
    Oklahoma Sooners
    UCONN Huskies
    Michigan State Spartans
    Stanford Cardinal