Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NEWS: Matchups are set for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, per sources.

Duke at Ohio State
    Louisville at Michigan State
    FSU at Purdue
    Indiana at Cuse
    Michigan at UNC
    Nebraska at NCSU
    Wisconsin at GT
    Iowa at UVa
    Notre Dame at Illinois
    Clemson at Rutgers
    Penn State at Miami
    Minnesota at Pitt
    Northwestern at Wake Forest
    Virginia Tech at Maryland

Courtesy Jon Rothstein’s official Twitter account @JonRothstein

I saw Coach K was trending on twitter and took a look to see why. It is because obnoxious Maryland fans are in an uproar because Coach K is "ducking" Maryland (some similar comments from Michigan fans, but not as serious or angry). FWIW, in the ESPN preseason poll I checked Ohio State is ranked 5th, Michigan 8th and Maryland 12th. Furthermore, while Maryland would have been an easier contest, I am very, very glad Duke is not playing them this year. Why on earth would you allow a team who back-stabbed your entire conference to benefit from all of the limelight that will attach to Duke's and Coach K's games this year? And why do Maryland fans think they should? Maryland wasn't scheduled against any of the conference's marque names this year, so they likely weren't the second or third in line to face Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    I saw Coach K was trending on twitter and took a look to see why. It is because obnoxious Maryland fans are in an uproar because Coach K is "ducking" Maryland (some similar comments from Michigan fans, but not as serious or angry). FWIW, in the ESPN preseason poll I checked Ohio State is ranked 5th, Michigan 8th and Maryland 12th. Furthermore, while Maryland would have been an easier contest, I am very, very glad Duke is not playing them this year. Why on earth would you allow a team who back-stabbed your entire conference to benefit from all of the limelight that will attach to Duke's and Coach K's games this year? And why do Maryland fans think they should? Maryland wasn't scheduled against any of the conference's marque names this year, so they likely weren't the second or third in line to face Duke.
    The Department of Redundancy Department just called.
    Let's go Duke!

Duke at Ohio State will be probably one of the “sexiest” ACC/B1G Challenge games but I was hoping for Duke Northwestern at the United Center for Coach K and Chris Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Duke at Ohio State will be probably one of the “sexiest” ACC/B1G Challenge games but I was hoping for Duke Northwestern at the United Center for Coach K and Chris Collins.
    That matchup would not have made much sense in the Challenge context, but they can still do that as a one-off non-conference game. Not holding my breath, but am crossing my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    That matchup would not have made much sense in the Challenge context, but they can still do that as a one-off non-conference game. Not holding my breath, but am crossing my fingers.
    I think giving the greatest college coach ever center stage in his hometown coaching against a former player at an iconic venue would have made the Challenge lots of money. That ticket would have sold itself.

Duke at Ohio State
    FSU at Purdue
    Indiana at Cuse
    Michigan at UNC
    Nebraska at NCSU
    Wisconsin at GT
    Iowa at UVa
    Notre Dame at Illinois
    Clemson at Rutgers
    Penn State at Miami
    Minnesota at Pitt

Is a Duke - Michigan State game still in the works, outside of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge?

Yes, this does raise the question of whether we will see some special K Victory Tour scheduling..I'd like to see that...

I think giving the greatest college coach ever center stage in his hometown coaching against a former player at an iconic venue would have made the Challenge lots of money. That ticket would have sold itself.
    The Challenge is more about national TV ratings - and conference bragging rights to a lesser extent - than selling tickets, especially for the marquee matchups at the top of the bill. Matching Duke with Northwestern would have been pretty dilutive relative to tOSU, Michigan or Purdue from that standpoint. I doubt the Cats got much more than passing consideration as our opponent, even with the selling points you note.

The Challenge is more about national TV ratings - and conference bragging rights to a lesser extent - than selling tickets, especially for the marquee matchups at the top of the bill. Matching Duke with Northwestern would have been pretty dilutive relative to tOSU, Michigan or Purdue from that standpoint. I doubt the Cats got much more than passing consideration as our opponent, even with the selling points you note.
    It is still possible to imagine Duke scheduling a game against Northwestern in Chicago this coming season as part of K's farewell tour. We could play them outside of the confines of the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is still possible to imagine Duke scheduling a game against Northwestern in Chicago this coming season as part of K's farewell tour. We could play them outside of the confines of the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.
    Yup - made that same point upthread

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Duke at Ohio State
    FSU at Purdue
    Indiana at Cuse
    Michigan at UNC
    Nebraska at NCSU
    Wisconsin at GT
    Iowa at UVa
    Notre Dame at Illinois
    Clemson at Rutgers
    Penn State at Miami
    Minnesota at Pitt

Man, my Michigan-Duke prediction was close... just off by 8 miles, haha.

Ohio State may be high in the early-season rankings but that's operating under a pretty big assumption that they return both of E.J. Liddell and Duane Washington. Even if they do, they don't match up particularly well against our size... Ohio State was one of the few undersized teams in the B1G last year. Mark may be put in some awkward situations guarding Liddell out by the three point line, but I'll take that tradeoff for the potential dominance on the boards, both offensive and defensive, than Mark and Paolo could have over the Buckeyes.

Playing in Columbus obviously will be a big early season challenge, but having two sophomores and a junior in our projected starting lineup makes me less anxious about that than I would have been in the recent OAD past. I think this gives us a great opportunity to start the season off strong in a matchup that swings our way.

Plus we all get to root for my Wolverines against UNC, which I always enjoy
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Man, my Michigan-Duke prediction was close... just off by 8 miles, haha.

Ohio State may be high in the early-season rankings but that's operating under a pretty big assumption that they return both of E.J. Liddell and Duane Washington. Even if they do, they don't match up particularly well against our size... Ohio State was one of the few undersized teams in the B1G last year. Mark may be put in some awkward situations guarding Liddell out by the three point line, but I'll take that tradeoff for the potential dominance on the boards, both offensive and defensive, than Mark and Paolo could have over the Buckeyes.

Playing in Columbus obviously will be a big early season challenge, but having two sophomores and a junior in our projected starting lineup makes me less anxious about that than I would have been in the recent OAD past. I think this gives us a great opportunity to start the season off strong in a matchup that swings our way.

Plus we all get to root for my Wolverines against UNC, which I always enjoy
    No doubt. I’m looking forward to the Duke Ohio State game. Went to the 2002 ACC/B1G Challenge game between Duke and Ohio State at the Greensboro Coliseum. It was a great game. JJ’s freshman year. I believe he was scoreless the first half and dropped 20 in the 2nd half.

The Iowa at UVa game, bet the under!

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    No doubt. I’m looking forward to the Duke Ohio State game. Went to the 2002 ACC/B1G Challenge game between Duke and Ohio State at the Greensboro Coliseum. It was a great game. JJ’s freshman year. I believe he was scoreless the first half and dropped 20 in the 2nd half.

The Iowa at UVa game, bet the under!
    I have less fond memories, as I covered the 2011 shellacking in Columbus for The Chronicle (fun fact, I've covered two of Duke's three ever losses in the ACC-B1G challenge, and considering the third was in the pandemic year I may still be tied for the most covered in person, haha). I'm excited to potentially crack some nuts this year.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yes, this does raise the question of whether we will see some special K Victory Tour scheduling..I'd like to see that...
    I think we're done with non-conference games outside Cameron. UK, OSU, MSU, Gonzaga is 4 out of the max of 5. With this year's team, I think 4 is probably the max.

I've having a hard time thinking of where we've played Maryland voluntarily in any sport since they left. It's a lot like our former friends in Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Is a Duke - Michigan State game still in the works, outside of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge?
    Apparently not this year per MSU source.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I think we're done with non-conference games outside Cameron. UK, OSU, MSU, Gonzaga is 4 out of the max of 5. With this year's team, I think 4 is probably the max.

I've having a hard time thinking of where we've played Maryland voluntarily in any sport since they left. It's a lot like our former friends in Columbia.
    That spit was different. We’ve played Carolina in football 16 times since they left the ACC, including 1974-84, although the last one was in 1991 (when they joined the SEC.). I got the sense that the later games scheduled were for money, getting a decent chunk of their sold-out gate in the late ‘70s-early ‘80s.

MBB is different. Other than a game the first year after they left, there’s been one game in a holiday tournament in Hawaii. And another game that I have blocked out of my memory.

WBB has scheduled some home/home series, although they never played in the ACC (neither team existed while USC was in the conference.)

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Ohio State may be high in the early-season rankings but that's operating under a pretty big assumption that they return both of E.J. Liddell and Duane Washington.
    I think Liddell is highly likely to return to tOSU... Washington is a much bigger question mark. He played great at the G League combine and got an invite to the main NBA combine. He played pretty well at the NBA combine as well. I suspect he will stick in the draft.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    That spit was different. We’ve played Carolina in football 16 times since they left the ACC, including 1974-84, although the last one was in 1991 (when they joined the SEC.). I got the sense that the later games scheduled were for money, getting a decent chunk of their sold-out gate in the late ‘70s-early ‘80s. MBB is different. Other than a game the first year after they left, there’s been one game in a holiday tournament in Hawaii. And another game that I have blocked out of my memory. WBB has scheduled some home/home series, although they never played in the ACC (neither team existed while USC was in the conference.)
    Excellent points, but I can give you details about that MBB game because I was there. Without MSU on the schedule, we do have the spot and a need for another quality non-conference opponent--probably in NYC or Chicago not involving Maryland.

Murrland

If Maryland wanted to play Duke, they should have stayed in the ACC, where they played Duke twice each season.