Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    The home games vs NC State and FSU are both on Saturdays of holiday weekends and don't have times. The game at Syracuse is also a Saturday without a time (if the stars aligned I would consider a road trip there - nothing like the snowbelt in February). At this point these are a long way out but hopefully they will not be waiting until a week or two ahead of time to decide.
    NCSU is on E2 or EU. The ACC is supposed to make that an early Saturday game, but they are good at ignoring that rule for Duke.
    FSU and Syracuse are probably 4/6/8PM starts given that they are during sweeps.

So what would the price be if you stayed at the Durham Holiday Inn Express instead of the Washington Duke?
    Actually the better calculation is...$250,000 per seat divided by 40 minutes = $6250 / minute. I think I could afford watching 1 fast break if it is less than 10 seconds.

Gonzaga ticket prices in Vegas

I dunno if this link will work. If so, these are shocking prices for the Zags at T-Mobile Arena. For a college basketball game? Hoo boy! If not, go to the T-Mobile Arena link for November 26.

This is a dynamic link, so I'm not sure.

Just tested it and it's working at the moment.

Maybe tix through the Duke ticket office would be better. I'm not holding my breath

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I dunno if this link will work. If so, these are shocking prices for the Zags at T-Mobile Arena. For a college basketball game? Hoo boy! If not, go to the T-Mobile Arena link for November 26.

Maybe tix through the Duke ticket office would be better. I'm not holding my breath
    Link did not work for me. What price did it show?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Link did not work for me. What price did it show?
    Here's a better link. Continental Tire Challenge: Duke vs. Gonzaga

Two of the most storied programs in college basketball like you've never seen them before! Duke and Gonzaga face off in the Continental Tire Challenge, which asks the question, "Sure, you can take it to the hoop, but can you change a tire?" Watch returning stars Drew Timme and Mark Williams operate the hydraulic jacks while newcomers Chet Holmgren and Paolo Banchero remove the lug nuts!

Gonzaga is led by head coach Mark Few, who knows his way around a car. And Duke is enjoying its last season under head coach Mike Krzyzewski, who believes in a tight (tire) rotation. Tickets available now!
    That page lists prices of $799, $499, $299, $169, $129, $99, $59, $49, $39. But when you try to buy tickets, you get instant inflation! Upper deck prices of available seats run from $225 to $2,000. Lower deck prices are $80 (2 seats remaining) to $8,000. Floor seats are $15,000. There are only a handful of seats left in any section.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

That page lists prices of $799, $499, $299, $169, $129, $99, $59, $49, $39. But when you try to buy tickets, you get instant inflation! Upper deck prices of available seats run from $225 to $2,000. Lower deck prices are $80 (2 seats remaining) to $8,000. Floor seats are $15,000. There are only a handful of seats left in any section.
    Those $80 tickets on the lower deck are probably not real either, I tried buying them a couple of times and get an error when finalizing checkout.

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Those $80 tickets on the lower deck are probably not real either, I tried buying them a couple of times and get an error when finalizing checkout.
    The ticketing site mixes both original sales and re-sales. My recollection is that the game basically sold out right when tickets went on sale about 4 months ago (I tried to get them the first day and was shut out of anything on the lower level at face value).

I was able to buy re-sale, albeit via the ASX site, a couple of days later at above face value, but not crazy, prices. I suspect with the announcement of Coach K's retirement plus the growing excitement about Gonzaga being #1 after Timme decided not to go to the NBA, demand has gone up and prices with it.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Two of the most storied programs in college basketball like you've never seen them before! Duke and Gonzaga face off in the Continental Tire Challenge, which asks the question, "Sure, you can take it to the hoop, but can you change a tire?" Watch returning stars Drew Timme and Mark Williams operate the hydraulic jacks while newcomers Chet Holmgren and Paolo Banchero remove the lug nuts!

Gonzaga is led by head coach Mark Few, who knows his way around a car. And Duke is enjoying its last season under head coach Mike Krzyzewski, who believes in a tight (tire) rotation. Tickets available now!
    Is that a vague allusion to Few's DUI a couple weeks ago? /CRINGE

From a Chronicle article on a meeting yesterday of the Duke Academic Council (the faculty governance body) (emphasis added):
    ...“How do you anticipate handling Cameron Indoor Stadium crowds?” asked Professor of Medicine Harvey Cohen. “I’m thinking it sounds hard to distance.”
    “It’s a small, dense stadium—that’s what makes it great. But that’s also not ideal in this situation,” said Associate Professor of Medicine Cameron Wolfe. “We’ve already been going back and reevaluating the ventilation system. … What worked for the players last year up until March Madness is that they were masked and spaced, and they didn’t have the chance to be vaccinated, whereas I think there’s a really great opportunity here for letting people in who are vaccinated. We should lead in that regard.” ...
    Wolfe has been Duke's point man on Covid-19 and to some extent the ACC's point man on Covid so if he's saying Duke needs to lead by only letting in those who are vaccinated, I have to guess that there's a good chance that's the way it's going to be.

If you want to go to games at Cameron this season, you'd better get vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    From a Chronicle article on a meeting yesterday of the Duke Academic Council (the faculty governance body) (emphasis added):

Wolfe has been Duke's point man on Covid-19 and to some extent the ACC's point man on Covid so if he's saying Duke needs to lead by only letting in those who are vaccinated, I have to guess that there's a good chance that's the way it's going to be.

Please make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Please make it so.
    Seconded!

Hope someone comes up with a way to weed out the fake vaxxers.

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighfan View Post
    Hope someone comes up with a way to weed out the fake vaxxers.
    Even forcing people to take a risk by coming up with a fake is potentially helpful. And it would be risky for anyone caught, as I don't think Duke would be very accepting of fraud, even from its known donor group. There's a pretty long line of wanna-be season ticket holders out there.

It's a no-brainer for Duke to require proof of vaccination for games in Cameron, and they need to announce it NOW to give the recalcitrant a chance to finally get vaccinated.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Even forcing people to take a risk by coming up with a fake is potentially helpful. And it would be risky for anyone caught, as I don't think Duke would be very accepting of fraud, even from its known donor group. There's a pretty long line of wanna-be season ticket holders out there.
    I expect that the problem with attempts to use fraudulent proof of vaccination for entry to Cameron will most likely arise not from season-ticket holders or their family members, who might risk forfeiting their remaining tickets (including those for the UNC game) and thereby losing the benefit of their Iron Dukes donations, but from people using tickets that are sold by season-ticket holders to strangers through online brokers like StubHub. Because this will be K's last season, the demand for tickets -- and in turn the premium that people are willing to pay -- is going to be unprecedented. While most season ticket holders will probably still prefer to use their own seats, many will find the lure of easy money difficult to resist. So we'll probably have a number of people buying tickets in the aftermarket and attending just one game. For those folks, the potential consequences of getting caught using a fake vaccination card are not nearly as severe, so the risk may be worth it.

Ideally, it would be great if Duke could figure out a way to flag those tickets that have been transferred or sold for single-game use to trigger an alert in the bar code readers, and require those people to go through a separate entry line where their proof of vaccination cards might be subject to closer scrutiny. But that's probably impractical.

I expect that the problem with attempts to use fraudulent proof of vaccination for entry to Cameron will most likely arise not from season-ticket holders or their family members, who might risk forfeiting their remaining tickets (including those for the UNC game) and thereby losing the benefit of their Iron Dukes donations, but from people using tickets that are sold by season-ticket holders to strangers through online brokers like StubHub. Because this will be K's last season, the demand for tickets -- and in turn the premium that people are willing to pay -- is going to be unprecedented. While most season ticket holders will probably still prefer to use their own seats, many will find the lure of easy money difficult to resist. So we'll probably have a number of people buying tickets in the aftermarket and attending just one game. For those folks, the potential consequences of getting caught using a fake vaccination card are not nearly as severe, so the risk may be worth it.

Ideally, it would be great if Duke could figure out a way to flag those tickets that have been transferred or sold for single-game use to trigger an alert in the bar code readers, and require those people to go through a separate entry line where their proof of vaccination cards might be subject to closer scrutiny. But that's probably impractical.
    I agree that whatever fraud mechanisms might protect against regulars will not work as well for any re-sales, and I would never assume that it is even possible to catch all cases of fraud/cheating. I still think requiring vaccinations will help. It's an extra hurdle, and it will at least thin unvaccinated portion of the crowd a little. It will create a safer environment than doing nothing, at a minimum. The primary goal from Duke's point of view is to protect the team. Anything that helps that is a plus, even if it will never be perfect.

Is there a legal penalty for using a fake vaccination card? I feel like this has been discussed on one of the threads here but don't remember.

Is there a legal penalty for using a fake vaccination card? I feel like this has been discussed on one of the threads here but don't remember.
    May not be, but three boneheaded Vermont state cops got busted a few weeks ago for selling fake vax cards, and they are being prosecuted for that, plus hopefully for being remarkably stupid.

It looks like vaccination will be required to enter Cameron.

I guess it's already too late to start now and be fully vaccinated by October 30, the date of the exhibition game. CTC coming up even sooner, of course. By this point, though, I've got little sympathy for the unvaccinated.

It looks like vaccination will be required to enter Cameron.

I guess it's already too late to start now and be fully vaccinated by October 30, the date of the exhibition game. CTC coming up even sooner, of course. By this point, though, I've got little sympathy for the unvaccinated.
    That is great news.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide