Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    It's not worth its own thread (this is DBR, so I figure someone else will try), but Dick Vitale has posted his College Basketball Excitement Index for the coming season:

So I decided to break it down into separate "Sweet 16s" of players, new coaches, teams and great nonconference games that I'm anticipating. These are not my top teams or coaches or All-Americans, but they represent some of the storylines I'm most excited about as we get closer to a 2021-22 campaign that ought to feel a lot closer to normal than the one we experienced last season.
    It's what you'd expect from him. For nonconference games, he mentions Duke's games against Kentucky in New York on November 9 and against Gonzaga in Las Vegas on November 26. He also includes Paolo Banchero as an intriguing player and Duke as an intriguing team.

The CBS Eye on College Basketball Podcast has a new episode up. Gary Parrish is missing from this one but Norlander and another guy I wasn't familiar with handled the pod. The second half of the pod discussed, and graded, the non conference schedules for the upcoming year of 7 premier programs: Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, UCLA, Gonzaga, UNC, and Duke. They counted the number of "notable" non conference games, by which I think they meant games that are interesting, challenging, etc, and noted whether they were home, road, or neutral games. Then they gave each program a letter grade.

Most of the others had somewhere in the range of 5 or 6 solid noncon games. Someone -- maybe it was Kansas? -- had seven. They got grades ranging from B to A+.

Duke got by far the worst eval, with our grand total of three "notable" noncon games, and a grade of C-. The hosts were pretty critical of the schedule (when not laughing at it), as one might expect when grading it a C-. But I have to say, while Norlander is no fan of Duke or Coach K, I don't think they were being unfair in this situation. It really does undercut the idea that elite programs can't schedule more interesting and difficult non conference games, or that it is harmful to do so financially in any significant way. While one could quibble at the margins with the evaluations and grades of this school or that one, I found this pod's discussion of this year's schedule to be pretty embarrassing for Duke, coming as it did from national college basketball media.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    The CBS Eye on College Basketball Podcast has a new episode up. Gary Parrish is missing from this one but Norlander and another guy I wasn't familiar with handled the pod. The second half of the pod discussed, and graded, the non conference schedules for the upcoming year of 7 premier programs: Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, UCLA, Gonzaga, UNC, and Duke. They counted the number of "notable" non conference games, by which I think they meant games that are interesting, challenging, etc, and noted whether they were home, road, or neutral games. Then they gave each program a letter grade.

Most of the others had somewhere in the range of 5 or 6 solid noncon games. Someone -- maybe it was Kansas? -- had seven. They got grades ranging from B to A+.

Duke got by far the worst eval, with our grand total of three "notable" noncon games, and a grade of C-. The hosts were pretty critical of the schedule (when not laughing at it), as one might expect when grading it a C-. But I have to say, while Norlander is no fan of Duke or Coach K, I don't think they were being unfair in this situation. It really does undercut the idea that elite programs can't schedule more interesting and difficult non conference games, or that it is harmful to do so financially in any significant way. While one could quibble at the margins with the evaluations and grades of this school or that one, I found this pod's discussion of this year's schedule to be pretty embarrassing for Duke, coming as it did from national college basketball media.
    The truth hurts.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post

I had the same reaction, and felt like this was a real missed opportunity for the team given that other teams were likely to be more open to scheduling Duke in K's final year. I don't really want to relitigate the benefits of padding the schedule with eminently winnable games given the youth of the team and the need to essentially get in-game practice, but this schedule in K's farewell year with a clearly talented squad is disappointing to me. I suppose it may have been compounded (as mentioned in the pod) coming off a missed NCAAT season, and the desperation to make the field this year, but I don't think scheduling another 1-2 games against the KenPom 50-100 range would've spelled doom in that regard, especially when other top teams are doing just that. Add in that the ACC isn't the gauntlet that it's been historically, and it's tough to keep a straight face refuting any argument when others suggest that Duke scheduling is inferior--of course, except to say "so what, nobody wins a banner for toughest NCSOS/SOS, we'll see how it shakes out in the postseason."

ETA: Some of the "notable" games that Norlander was citing were pretty laughable (e.g., I think nearly half of KU's notable games were teams like UNLV, UTEP, and St. John's).

From @BrendanRMarks
    Inbox: @theACC
    announces it will reveal this year's conference basketball schedules on Wednesday and Thursday night at 7PM.

Women's on Wednesday, men's on Thursday.

Duke’s schedule would feel sooo much better if they were in a preseason/holiday tournament with K one last time.

Also, Gonzaga - UK - Ohio State is a brutal trio of games. I’d rather have those three and a bunch of cupcakes, than a schedule full of average high majors.

Like, Kansas plays MSU and UK. But I’d trade Duke’s Gonzaga game for all of Kansas’ middling games against UTEP, Mizzou, etc.

I do wish they would have found a way to play Davidson and Maryland one last time.

^ fans could be given commemorative water bottles before the Maryland game.

I am curious about the ways that Scheyer will run the program differently than K. I assume he'll be less flinty during press conferences. I also hope he'll approach scheduling differently.

One thing about the national pundits is that some of them, like Matt Norlander, fetishize home-and-home because they are fun and "good for the sport". I agree, but I have always understood why K opted for large neutrals instead. I also agree that the lack of a big multi-team event where we might get a solid game or two is a glaring whole on this year's slate.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Duke’s schedule would feel sooo much better if they were in a preseason/holiday tournament with K one last time.

Also, Gonzaga - UK - Ohio State is a brutal trio of games. I’d rather have those three and a bunch of cupcakes, than a schedule full of average high majors.

Like, Kansas plays MSU and UK. But I’d trade Duke’s Gonzaga game for all of Kansas’ middling games against UTEP, Mizzou, etc.

I do wish they would have found a way to play Davidson and Maryland one last time.
    Years ago went to many Duke/Davidson games in Charlotte and inaugural game on Davidson campus. Recall the Davidson scorekeeper getting in K’s face at least 5 years ago. Not much said about the incident, but don’t believe we’ve played them since. Anyone got better info than this?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ fans could be given commemorative water bottles before the Maryland game.
    Or commemorative “K” batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I am curious about the ways that Scheyer will run the program differently than K. I assume he'll be less flinty during press conferences. I also hope he'll approach scheduling differently.

One thing about the national pundits is that some of them, like Matt Norlander, fetishize home-and-home because they are fun and "good for the sport". I agree, but I have always understood why K opted for large neutrals instead. I also agree that the lack of a big multi-team event where we might get a solid game or two is a glaring whole on this year's slate.
    We already know for certain which tournament will be Coach Scheyer's first: The PK85. The event will be a redo of the PK80 event with simultaneous tournaments in Portland. Many of the big names will be there in November '22, including Duke, UNC, Alabama, Florida, Villanova, and Gonzaga. Duke won't play UNC, obviously, but will get a few other big-time programs in their bracket.

They still can’t announce game times for ANY of the non-conference games! Come on. Some of us have to make plans — and I don’t even have to travel far.

A couple of quick turnaround games: 1/15 NC State followed by 1/17 @FSU. Also 2/5 @UNC 2/7 Virginia will be brutal. Having two ACC games in late December is a bit of a surprise.

I can't find much to complain about our out of conference schedule.
    The KU, Gonzaga and Ohio State are some big time games or should be.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    A couple of quick turnaround games: 1/15 NC State followed by 1/17 @FSU. Also 2/5 @UNC 2/7 Virginia will be brutal. Having two ACC games in late December is a bit of a surprise.
    Agreed about the quick turn game. The first pair is rough because the second game is on the road so the travel cuts into recovery and practice time, and FSU always plays us tough. The second pair is rough as it is two strong teams (no worries about the travel to UNC).

Hopefully they will lock in the start times asap. I am hoping to get to Durham for a game but between covid risk (particularly since my kids are under 12) and lack of defined start times on some games I would consider, it will be hard to make plans.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Agreed about the quick turn game. The first pair is rough because the second game is on the road so the travel cuts into recovery and practice time, and FSU always plays us tough. The second pair is rough as it is two strong teams (no worries about the travel to UNC).

Hopefully they will lock in the start times asap. I am hoping to get to Durham for a game but between covid risk (particularly since my kids are under 12) and lack of defined start times on some games I would consider, it will be hard to make plans.
    It looked like the non-conference home games didn't have a TV broadcasted assigned yet, so I'm guessing that's why they're TBA. I didn't check to see if there's any overlap with home football games, which can mess up schedules as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    It looked like the non-conference home games didn't have a TV broadcasted assigned yet, so I'm guessing that's why they're TBA. I didn't check to see if there's any overlap with home football games, which can mess up schedules as well.
    The home games vs NC State and FSU are both on Saturdays of holiday weekends and don't have times. The game at Syracuse is also a Saturday without a time (if the stars aligned I would consider a road trip there - nothing like the snowbelt in February). At this point these are a long way out but hopefully they will not be waiting until a week or two ahead of time to decide.

For anyone planning to attend a game in Cameron, better get out those checkbooks! I’ve also read that tickets for C2C are already selling for $500+ on the secondary market. Going to be an insane year.

9E87D2C7-BB6C-4C50-AFBE-5FD016C2608D.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    For anyone planning to attend a game in Cameron, better get out those checkbooks! I’ve also read that tickets for C2C are already selling for $500+ on the secondary market. Going to be an insane year.

9E87D2C7-BB6C-4C50-AFBE-5FD016C2608D.jpg
    So what would the price be if you stayed at the Durham Holiday Inn Express instead of the Washington Duke?