Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Here's some very long range schedule news. There will be another tournament in Portland next season in honor of Phil Knight -- the PK85 this time -- and Duke will be part of it. Here's the list of teams participating:

Oregon Ducks
    North Carolina Tar Heels
    Duke Blue Devils
    Gonzaga Zags
    Florida Gators
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Butler Bulldogs
    Texas Longhorns
    Oklahoma Sooners
    UCONN Huskies
    Michigan State Spartans
    Stanford Cardinal
    DePaul Blue Demons
    Arkansas Razorbacks
    Portland Pilots
    Portland State Vikings
    Is it an actual tournament? Or just a series of exhibition-like pods? Because if it were a tournament, hold onto your butts - that would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Is it an actual tournament? Or just a series of exhibition-like pods? Because if it were a tournament, hold onto your butts - that would be amazing.
    so they say...what Phil wants, Phil gets. K has had more than a few bucks sent his way via Nike...

Here's some very long range schedule news. There will be another tournament in Portland next season in honor of Phil Knight -- the PK85 this time -- and Duke will be part of it. Here's the list of teams participating:

Oregon Ducks
    North Carolina Tar Heels
    Duke Blue Devils
    Gonzaga Zags
    Florida Gators
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Butler Bulldogs
    Texas Longhorns
    Oklahoma Sooners
    UCONN Huskies
    Michigan State Spartans
    Stanford Cardinal
    DePaul Blue Demons
    Arkansas Razorbacks
    Portland Pilots
    Portland State Vikings
    Unless I'm misreading the article, that's the list of teams from four years ago.

Unless I'm misreading the article, that's the list of teams from four years ago.
    good point. Having said that any Nike team that is summoned will show up...should be interesting

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Oregon Ducks
    North Carolina Tar Heels
    Duke Blue Devils
    Gonzaga Zags
    Florida Gators
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Butler Bulldogs
    Texas Longhorns
    Oklahoma Sooners
    UCONN Huskies
    Michigan State Spartans
    Stanford Cardinal
    DePaul Blue Demons
    Arkansas Razorbacks
    Portland Pilots
    Portland State Vikings
    Since they are going with the Gonzaga Zags nickname instead of Bulldogs, can they go with North Carolina Cheats instead of Tar Heels?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Last time they did two 8-team tournaments (the "Phil" bracket and the "Knight" bracket - that's not what they were actually called but it was something like that). We had some crazy games against Texas and Florida.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Oregon Ducks
    North Carolina Tar Heels
    Duke Blue Devils
    Gonzaga Zags
    Florida Gators
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Butler Bulldogs
    Texas Longhorns
    Oklahoma Sooners
    UCONN Huskies
    Michigan State Spartans
    Stanford Cardinal
    DePaul Blue Demons
    Arkansas Razorbacks
    Portland Pilots
    Portland State Vikings
    The list would have to change. You can't have 4 SEC teams in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Last time they did two 8-team tournaments (the "Phil" bracket and the "Knight" bracket - that's not what they were actually called but it was something like that). We had some crazy games against Texas and Florida.
    I remember this now. I knew there was some way they had prevented a Duke/UNC matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    The list would have to change. You can't have 4 SEC teams in the field.
    Texas and Oklahoma aren't supposed to be in the SEC until 2025. I imagine TX and OK will try to negotiate an earlier date but next season seems pretty optimistic.

I remember this now. I knew there was some way they had prevented a Duke/UNC matchup.
    Championship night was awesome, Michigan State drilled UNC and then Duke provided a thrilling win over Florida

The brackets were Victory and Motion

Duke 2021-2022 Non Conference Schedule Released

https://goduke.com/news/2021/8/4/men...announced.aspx

The Duke men's basketball program has unveiled the team's 2021-22 non-conference schedule, as the final season for Head Coach Mike Krzyzewski draws near.

Three of Duke's 11 non-conference matchups away from Cameron Indoor Stadium – marquee games versus Kentucky, Gonzaga and Ohio State – had previously been announced. The remaining eight non-conference opponents, which include reigning conference champions Appalachian State and Cleveland State, come to Cameron Indoor.

The Blue Devils battle Kentucky in the regular-season opener on Tuesday, Nov. 9 in the State Farm Champions Classic at Madison Square Garden in New York. The Continental Tire Challenge, which pits Duke vs. Gonzaga, is scheduled for Friday, Nov. 26 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nev., while the Blue Devils' annual appearance in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge will be Tuesday, Nov. 30 at Ohio State.

Duke's first event at Cameron Indoor Stadium for the 2021-22 season is the program's Countdown to Craziness event on Friday, Oct. 15. Winston-Salem State will serve as the lone exhibition game, which is set for Saturday, Oct. 30 at Cameron Indoor. Times have not yet been announced.

Following Kentucky in the season opener, the Blue Devils host the Duke Veterans Day Weekend Showcase at Cameron Indoor Stadium Nov. 12-13. Duke battles Coach K's alma mater, Army West Point, on Friday, Nov. 12, with a matchup versus Campbell the following day. Hartford is the fourth team in Duke's multi-team event (MTE) and the Hawks will play Army and Campbell at Cameron.

Midweek home games against Gardner-Webb (Tuesday, Nov. 16), Lafayette (Friday, Nov. 19) and The Citadel (Monday, Nov. 22) precede the back-to-back battles versus Gonzaga and Ohio State.

A final trio of non-conference games lead the Blue Devils into ACC play as Duke welcomes South Carolina State (Tuesday, Dec. 14), Appalachian State (Thursday, Dec. 16) and Cleveland State (Saturday, Dec. 18).

Cleveland State is the reigning Horizon League champion having gone 19-8 last season, including 16-4 in the Horizon to also share the regular season crown. Appalachian State was 17-12 last season, 7-8 in the Sun Belt, but rattled off four wins in four days to win the Sun Belt title.

The 2021-22 Duke men's basketball season marks the final campaign for Hall of Fame Head Coach Mike Krzyzewski. Set to retire following this season, Coach K has won an NCAA record 1,170 games in his 46-year career, including 1,097 wins and five national titles in his 41 seasons at Duke.

I had hoped (but hardly expected) that K just might schedule a top opponent on its home court, given the swan song season, but nay...we do get tOSU in the challenge...

A visual of the sked

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Only one exhibition game this season. I wonder why Northwest Missouri State, last year's Division II national champion, isn't on the schedule for a second exhibition game. That had been the practice in recent years. The two teams had played a good game in 2019.

Interesting that we play three games in five days between 12/14-12/18. I wonder how this will mesh with the conference schedule, which sometimes includes two games in December.

Overall no real surprises here, other than the identities of the home cupcake opponents. None of them seems particularly noteworthy but then again I would have said the same about SFA. I also remember that in Zion's year we opened with the beatdown of Kentucky, then our next game was at home again Army in which we actually struggled a bit. A couple weeks later we lost to Gonzaga. A similar path is laid out for us this season.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/8/4/men...announced.aspx

The Duke men's basketball program has unveiled the team's 2021-22 non-conference schedule, as the final season for Head Coach Mike Krzyzewski draws near.

Three of Duke's 11 non-conference matchups away from Cameron Indoor Stadium – marquee games versus Kentucky, Gonzaga and Ohio State – had previously been announced. The remaining eight non-conference opponents, which include reigning conference champions Appalachian State and Cleveland State, come to Cameron Indoor.

The Blue Devils battle Kentucky in the regular-season opener on Tuesday, Nov. 9 in the State Farm Champions Classic at Madison Square Garden in New York. The Continental Tire Challenge, which pits Duke vs. Gonzaga, is scheduled for Friday, Nov. 26 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nev., while the Blue Devils' annual appearance in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge will be Tuesday, Nov. 30 at Ohio State.

Duke's first event at Cameron Indoor Stadium for the 2021-22 season is the program's Countdown to Craziness event on Friday, Oct. 15. Winston-Salem State will serve as the lone exhibition game, which is set for Saturday, Oct. 30 at Cameron Indoor. Times have not yet been announced.

Following Kentucky in the season opener, the Blue Devils host the Duke Veterans Day Weekend Showcase at Cameron Indoor Stadium Nov. 12-13. Duke battles Coach K's alma mater, Army West Point, on Friday, Nov. 12, with a matchup versus Campbell the following day. Hartford is the fourth team in Duke's multi-team event (MTE) and the Hawks will play Army and Campbell at Cameron.

Midweek home games against Gardner-Webb (Tuesday, Nov. 16), Lafayette (Friday, Nov. 19) and The Citadel (Monday, Nov. 22) precede the back-to-back battles versus Gonzaga and Ohio State.

A final trio of non-conference games lead the Blue Devils into ACC play as Duke welcomes South Carolina State (Tuesday, Dec. 14), Appalachian State (Thursday, Dec. 16) and Cleveland State (Saturday, Dec. 18).

Cleveland State is the reigning Horizon League champion having gone 19-8 last season, including 16-4 in the Horizon to also share the regular season crown. Appalachian State was 17-12 last season, 7-8 in the Sun Belt, but rattled off four wins in four days to win the Sun Belt title.

The 2021-22 Duke men's basketball season marks the final campaign for Hall of Fame Head Coach Mike Krzyzewski. Set to retire following this season, Coach K has won an NCAA record 1,170 games in his 46-year career, including 1,097 wins and five national titles in his 41 seasons at Duke.
    Looking at the schedule, it seemed like the three December games are in the middle of when finals normally are (historically, finals would have ended around the 18th). I just checked the academic calendar and the year has been moved up a bit so finals end December 13. I know they try to ramp down practice during exams so it is interesting that there is a game the next day, rather than waiting a few days. I'm probably one of the only people left on earth who actually thinks or cares about academics in relation to basketball...

Selfishly, I'm sorry the traditional December game in the NY area is gone. I guess it was less of a concern since the Kentucky game will be here, but the tickets for the Champions Classic tend to be much more expensive and harder to get than tickets for the other non-conference game that was usually played here.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Interesting that we play three games in five days between 12/14-12/18. I wonder how this will mesh with the conference schedule, which sometimes includes two games in December.

Overall no real surprises here, other than the identities of the home cupcake opponents. None of them seems particularly noteworthy but then again I would have said the same about SFA. I also remember that in Zion's year we opened with the beatdown of Kentucky, then our next game was at home again Army in which we actually struggled a bit. A couple weeks later we lost to Gonzaga. A similar path is laid out for us this season.
    Campbell is a cupcake, they’re only NCAAT appearance in school history was in 1992. Gardner Webb has a more recent lone NCAAT appearance in program history (2019). They’re probably very beatable with the team Duke has this year. Lafayette has 4 NCAAT appearances in program history, with the last two most recent appearances being in 2010 and 2015. The Citadel has never played in an NCAAT and should be a cupcake. South Carolina State has 5 NCAAT appearances all time, but the last two were in 2000 and 2003. Appalachian State has 3 NCAAT appearances all time and actually possess a more recent NCAAT appearance than Duke. They played in the 2021 NCAAT. Cleveland State has appeared in three NCAATs all time and also played in the 2021 NCAAT.

I may have missed it, but any indication as to any limitations on crowds?

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Season tickets went on sale on Monday, so no limitations AS OF NOW. But there was a new note added that if games are cancelled due to Covid refunds will be available. Let's hope that those hesitant to get vaccinated get smart and get vaccinated soon. This has nothing to do with politics.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Based on the fact that the Duke Athletic Department is proceeding with sales of season tickets, I think it's fair to assume that no limitations on attendance are contemplated at this time, but that they will monitor the evolving situation with COVID resurgence carefully and be prepared to make appropriate adjustments if and when necessary. I'm sure they're hoping fervently, as are we, that the current Delta outbreak subsides quickly so that everyone can resume some semblance of normalcy in the coming season.

Incidentally, the price of our season tickets was increased about 25% over the cost of the same seats for the 2019-20 season. While it's understandable that DUAA would want to exploit the increased demand arising from the announcement of K's last season as a means of making up for some of the financial losses suffered last year, it's disappointing to me that the program couldn't find a way to entice at least one marquee non-conference opponent to visit Cameron for K's farewell journey.