Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia help

Any hematologist oncologist or people with experience with autoimmune hemolytic anemia on this board? A little background, on April 9th my 74-old father was sent to the ER feeling tired, nausea and potential blood in his urine. Things quickly went sideways and on the 10th he was moved to the larger hospital while having a blood transfusion in transit. On the 12th things really hit the fan. His hemoglobin and RBC fell so low that he started to go into full organ failure. The doctor in the ICU told me that my father was about to go into cardiac arrest and asked if he should revive him. Previous to this episode, my dad had a history of heart disease and easily maintained diabetes (docs keep calling him a healthy 74-year old). This turn in his health came as a huge surprise. Dialysis that evening saved his life and things started to look up as he was more lucid after the dialysis. However, they have not been able to raise his hemoglobin and diagnosed him with autoimmune hemolytic anemia. He has now had 46 blood transfusions (not a typo), dialysis, treated with IVIG, Epogen and now Rituximab. Still waiting for some sort of progress.

Sorry, I know this is way off topic but I wouldn’t be posting on here if things weren’t so desperate. Any insight from the brightest message board on the interwebs would be appreciated. Mods, if you feel this is not appropriate for the board, please delete.

Sorry to hear this scary story, and sorry that this kind of thing is WAY out of my area of expertise. I hope they are able to turn it around quickly.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Sorry to hear this scary story, and sorry that this kind of thing is WAY out of my area of expertise. I hope they are able to turn it around quickly.
    Thank you, rsvman. It's been a scary and wild ride. If it wasn't my dad, it would be really interesting but it is my dad so it's more scary than anything else.

I hope someone can step up to provide some information or contacts.

I know nothing but will keep your father, his medical team, and you in my prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I hope someone can step up to provide some information or contacts.

I know nothing but will keep your father, his medical team, and you in my prayers.
    Thank you, DukieInKansas. It's been tough. I will take all the prayers we can get. Thanks.