Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I think docs need their own category, as there are so many great ones.

I am surprised there is so much love for "One on One". I get the nostalgic kitsch appeal, but that movie is pretty bad. I guess it depends on how old you are, I have the same love for "Teen Wolf", especially the greatest coach since K, Bobby Finstock, whose life advice has steered me through some ambiguous times (his "3 rules" are right up there with "Coughlin's Laws" from 'Cocktail")

"Above the Rim" is a very popular one I haven't seen mentioned, I think it's pretty good. "High Flying Bird" is a newer entrant that I liked last year.

We should have a list for movies with prominent basketball scenes where the movie wasn't really about basketball:
    -One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    -The Great Santini
    -Meatballs
    -Along Came Polly
    Let it rain!

Son of Flubber (1963) / Flubber (1997)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Kyrie is irritated that all of y'all, on a Duke basketball forum, have left the greatest basketball movie of all time, Uncle Drew, off all of your lists.

(Btw, I've never seen it.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I think docs need their own category, as there are so many great ones.

I am surprised there is so much love for "One on One". I get the nostalgic kitsch appeal, but that movie is pretty bad. I guess it depends on how old you are, I have the same love for "Teen Wolf", especially the greatest coach since K, Bobby Finstock, whose life advice has steered me through some ambiguous times (his "3 rules" are right up there with "Coughlin's Laws" from 'Cocktail")

"Above the Rim" is a very popular one I haven't seen mentioned, I think it's pretty good. "High Flying Bird" is a newer entrant that I liked last year.

We should have a list for movies with prominent basketball scenes where the movie wasn't really about basketball:
    -One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    -The Great Santini
    -Meatballs
    -Along Came Polly
    Coming to America - "in the face!"

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Coming to America - "in the face!"
    Great call, a St Johns vs Marist contest at MSG with Mark Jackson playing PG for the Johnnies and the Dunkin Dutchman, Rik Smits, manning the pivot for Marist.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Kyrie is irritated that all of y'all, on a Duke basketball forum, have left the greatest basketball movie of all time, Uncle Drew, off all of your lists.
    (Btw, I've never seen it.)
    Very good call, I think Uncle Drew is solid, not spectacular, especially the club dancing scene.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ML-9r4M_qk

WHAT?!

Are you gentlemen overlooking UNCLE DREW?!

Oh man! Billy Dat and CBB and I think alike... but I'm pretty sure it was yikes bad.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

It provided only an amusing moment, but I believe the basketball scene from Pleasantville merits an honorable mention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4o8dqnbhI

(Be sure to watch the clip all the way to the end.)

"Finding Forrester" could be added.

My Dad actually played and was team captain for Marvin Wood, the real-life coach from the movie "Hoosiers." After winning the state title for Milan, Wood moved to New Castle, where my Dad played for him. Dad also was in attendance for the game when Mila won the title. If New Castle had won one more game in the state tournament, my Dad, all 5'10" of him, would have had the honor of getting dominated by Oscar Robertson in the next round.

The personal story of the real Marvin Wood was nothing like the Gene Hackman character from the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Are you gentlemen overlooking UNCLE DREW?!

Oh man! Billy Dat and CBB and I think alike... but I'm pretty sure it was yikes bad.
    I haven't seen it, but 61% on RT isn't yikes bad.

Blue Chips referenced upthread was 37%. Semi-Pro was 22%.

How about Above the Rim?

Covers some of the same turf as Hoop Dreams but in a fictionalized setting, with a cast that includes Tupac, Leon (Robinson; played ball at Loyola Marymount), Bernie Mac, Wood Harris, Duane Martin and Marlon Wayans. Not a great film, but very entertaining and underrated in my view, with some great hoops sequences. Tupac steals every seen he's in.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    How about Above the Rim?

Covers some of the same turf as Hoop Dreams but in a fictionalized setting, with a cast that includes Tupac, Leon (Robinson; played ball at Loyola Marymount), Bernie Mac, Wood Harris, Duane Martin and Marlon Wayans. Not a great film, but very entertaining and underrated in my view, with some great hoops sequences. Tupac steals every seen he's in.
    Above The Rim and Hoop Dreams do not overlap at all. Huh?
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Above The Rim and Hoop Dreams do not overlap at all. Huh?
    Inner-city public housing home life and gang influence are common to both, as are protagonists trying to find (and play) their way out.

In the Way Back Machine: Tall Story

I saw it when it was released in 1960, starring Anthony Perkins. It had earlier been a successful play and the movie was directed by Joshua Logan of Sayonara and South Pacific fame..

If Anthony Perkins doesn't strike you as a basketball star, consider that the leading lady was the first movie role for Jane Fonda -- definitely counter the roles she later played. Also, I just read, Robert Redford played a bit part as a member of the hoops team -- definitely the first movie role for him.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    "Finding Forrester" could be added.
    One of my favorite underrated movies. More so for the writing aspect of the movie than basketball.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I haven't seen it, but 61% on RT isn't yikes bad.

Blue Chips referenced upthread was 37%. Semi-Pro was 22%.
    Yes, but Blue Chips starred Bobby Hurley.

(What do you mean he wasn’t the star of the movie?)

Didn’t Jay Bilas have a bit part in a movie? I don’t think it was basketball related though.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Didn’t Jay Bilas have a bit part in a movie? I don’t think it was basketball related though.
    I come in Peace.

5BE59711-A415-4A8E-9FD1-21F83A833148.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    You can see it in his eyes - that alien can't stand the NCAA.