Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Durham

    Goestenkors named assistant at UK


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Is she looking over her shoulder at Baylor and thinking "dammit!"?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Good luck GG!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Is she looking over her shoulder at Baylor and thinking "dammit!"?
    probably not. her sexuality is inconsistent with their code of behavior. not a great fit

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by golfinesquire View Post
    probably not. her sexuality is inconsistent with their code of behavior. not a great fit
    Brittney waves "Hi"

    PS...WOW...why even bring that up?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Brittney waves "Hi"

    PS...WOW...why even bring that up?
    Do you remember Greiner talking about how Mulkey told her she needed to stay closeted if she wanted to play there? Why would a 50 year old woman want to live like that. I brought it up because it is a factor that weighs on decisions. Would you rather just pretend? Btw, I am not outing anyone.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    She's much closer to 60 than 50 (FTR, 58). I think head coaching chances have passed her by.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    She's much closer to 60 than 50 (FTR, 58). I think head coaching chances have passed her by.
    I stand corrected.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    She's much closer to 60 than 50 (FTR, 58). I think head coaching chances have passed her by.
    I donít disagree with your sentiment and understand that Goestenkors and Mulkey were in different positions career wise, but Mulkey is also 58.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    I donít disagree with your sentiment and understand that Goestenkors and Mulkey were in different positions career wise, but Mulkey is also 58.
    Mulkey has 3 national championships (only Geno and Pat have more), the most recent just 2 years ago. Coach G hasn't even won an NCAA Tournament game since 2008.

    There is a world of difference between Mulkey and Coach G.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chicago
    Although I don't like the way Coach G left Duke, I still have a great deal of admiration for her as a coach and for what she did for Duke women's BB, and I hope that she is able to find success again.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Duke View Post
    Although I don't like the way Coach G left Duke, I still have a great deal of admiration for her as a coach and for what she did for Duke women's BB, and I hope that she is able to find success again.
    what, she wanted to go to a place that would show her some support in accordance with the success she'd had? Who didn't, say, wait until she had an offer in hand somewhere ELSE before offering her similar compensation?
    basketball is back, baby!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Mulkey has 3 national championships (only Geno and Pat have more), the most recent just 2 years ago. Coach G hasn't even won an NCAA Tournament game since 2008.

    There is a world of difference between Mulkey and Coach G.
    Totally Agree.
    I am a HUGE Coach G fan, but what Mulkey has accomplished in her playing and coaching career far surpasses what Gail has accomplished.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Duke View Post
    Although I don't like the way Coach G left Duke, I still have a great deal of admiration for her as a coach and for what she did for Duke women's BB, and I hope that she is able to find success again.
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    what, she wanted to go to a place that would show her some support in accordance with the success she'd had? Who didn't, say, wait until she had an offer in hand somewhere ELSE before offering her similar compensation?
    Message boards are interesting - I read 91Duke's comment to mean the way Duke let it happen and not as a comment on how Coach G handled it. (Where's the shrugging emoji when you need it?)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Message boards are interesting - I read 91Duke's comment to mean the way Duke let it happen and not as a comment on how Coach G handled it. (Where's the shrugging emoji when you need it?)
    I'll defer to the OP, but the use of "still" in the OP's comment suggests that s/he was placing blame on Coach G and not Duke. That's how I read it.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'll defer to the OP, but the use of "still" in the OP's comment suggests that s/he was placing blame on Coach G and not Duke. That's how I read it.
    that was my interpretation
    basketball is back, baby!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    that was my interpretation
    Also mine, FWIW, although I leave room for the possibility that wasn't the intended meaning.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    She's much closer to 60 than 50 (FTR, 58). I think head coaching chances have passed her by.
    But her chances to be POTUS are just 12-17 years away.

Similar Threads

  1. Trajan Langdon Named Nets Assistant GM
    By Rich in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-10-2016, 07:21 AM
  2. Gail Goestenkors HOF Coach
    By dukelifer in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-15-2015, 12:57 PM
  3. Capel named associate coach; Scheyer assistant coach
    By wk2109 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 08:11 AM
  4. Goestenkors Interview
    By Indoor66 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 09:26 AM
  5. Gail Goestenkors employment thread
    By thomas in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 159
    Last Post: 04-03-2007, 12:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •