Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bill and Melinda Gates Splitting Up

Melinda, a Duke grad, is on the Duke Board of Trustees and has been very generous to the University:

New York (CNN Business)Bill and Melinda Gates are ending their marriage after 27 years, the pair announced in a statement on their verified Twitter accounts.
    "After a great deal of thought and a lot of work on our relationship, we have made the decision to end our marriage," the statement reads.
    The couple founded their philanthropic organization, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, together in 2000. Since then, the foundation has spent $53.8 billion on a wide range of initiatives related to global health, poverty alleviation and more, according to its website.
    He is 65 and she, 56. She is class of 1986, with a degree from Fuqua a year later.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

They’ll be splitting a bunch of money. Wonder who called dibs on the cribs?

https://images.app.goo.gl/GU75Dz4PjtDC5MC89

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Melinda, a Duke grad, is on the Duke Board of Trustees and has been very generous to the University:

He is 65 and she, 56. She is class of 1986, with a degree from Fuqua a year later.
    She's got nine years to go before Medicare eligibility, hope she can hang on financially.

I'd expect these two to divide up their copious assets amicably, but who knows? Why quibble about the odd billion here or there?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    She's got nine years to go before Medicare eligibility, hope she can hang on financially.

I'd expect these two to divide up their copious assets amicably, but who knows? Why quibble about the odd billion here or there?
    If she were treated grossly unfairly, she would still have more than >$5 billion. I get the vapors at these financial altitudes, but MacKenzie Bezos got $38 billion -- the difference being that they were already married when Amazon was founded. I suppose that would be the cap. A more interesting question is what's happening to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which appears to be a powerful and effective organization.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

If she were treated grossly unfairly, she would still have more than >$5 billion. I get the vapors at these financial altitudes, but MacKenzie Bezos got $38 billion -- the difference being that they were already married when Amazon was founded. I suppose that would be the cap. A more interesting question is what's happening to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which appears to be a powerful and effective organization.
    "We continue to share a belief in that mission and will continue our work together at the foundation."

https://twitter.com/BillGates/status...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I don’t know why this one surprised me but it did.

Hmmm...I'm 46, I hope that's not too young for Melinda. My wife might be a bit upset, but I'll take care of her with Melinda's money. What could go wrong with this plan?

All joking aside, it's sad whenever a marriage fails. I hope they both have peace with their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I don’t know why this one surprised me but it did.
    I'm not one to gossip, but I wonder if things got strained after Bono came between them:

timecover.jpg

Melinda is one of the few people ever to be named Person of the Year by Time Magazine in consecutive years (2005 and 2006). Based on this list, she also won in 1969 and 1975, but by Census definition is probably a couple of months too young for 1966. Finally, she owned 1982's Machine of the Year and still lives on 1988's Planet of the Year.

Bill and Melinda Gates already decided how to divide wealth: 'Divorce is not something to waste money on'

Alexis Keenan·Reporter
    Tue, May 4, 2021, 7:16 AM·3 min read

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bill-...121605953.html

Family lawyer Randy Kessler, who has handled divorce cases involving professional athletes and entertainers, accurately predicted what court documents show — that the Gates worked out in advance how to separate their estimated $130 billion in net worth.

“Newly divorced billionaire Gates dating 26 yo actress!”

The world was shocked today as news broke that 26yo bombshell actress Hanna Thompson-Rhees has been secretly hitting trendy nightclubs with recently divorced billionaire Melinda Gates. TMZ was the first to release pictures of the May-December pair canoodling at the hot-spot-to-the-stars Club Voyeur. Rumors that Thompson-Rhees was responsible for the marriage breakup were denied by Ms. Gates’ spokesperson.

Ex-husband and philanthropic partner Bill Gates had no comment as he prepared to board the SpaceX Dragon 2, Elon Musk’s starship scheduled to launch tomorrow morning on it’s inaugural and controversial mission to colonize Mars.

More at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I'm not one to gossip, but I wonder if things got strained after Bono came between them:

timecover.jpg

Melinda is one of the few people ever to be named Person of the Year by Time Magazine in consecutive years (2005 and 2006). Based on this list, she also won in 1969 and 1975, but by Census definition is probably a couple of months too young for 1966. Finally, she owned 1982's Machine of the Year and still lives on 1988's Planet of the Year.
    Interesting. Regardless, it’s clear they still haven’t found what they’re looking for.

Interesting. Regardless, it’s clear they still haven’t found what they’re looking for.
    Perhaps that’s because the streets have no name.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    They had: One life, but they're not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    They had: One life, but they're not the same.
    I knew the puns would break out soon but I was sort of expecting to hear about the Gates' open-source software issues.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 05-04-2021 at 06:21 PM.

Since they made their money on Windows, does this mean their marriage has been defenestrated?

Actually, I feel really bad speculating about their divorce as I'm sure it is very difficult for them and their kids, regardless of how much money they have. That said, I believe there is a DBR bylaw somewhere never to turn down an opportunity to use some form of the word defenestrate.

Do you have to clean up after a defenestration?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    I knew the puns would break out soon...
    It's a Beautiful Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Wow. Just like a horse I rode through the desert!

So much for Office romances...

Defenestration made me chuckle. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Wow. Just like a horse I rode through the desert!

Yeah, this could only happen in America.