Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    C-f-A shakes are great. Love the cookies and cream, and also the peach when in season.
    Peach shakes are great!

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    CFA shakes are fantastic, but don't miss the frosted coffee or frosted lemonade. Those are the real heroes of the CFA frozen drink brigade.
    I tried the frosted lemonade once. Not sure what I was expecting, but what I got wasn't it. I should probably give it a second chance.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Pure shake shakes or would you extend to include any frozen dairy treat like, say, Blizzards and McFlurries?
    I would say pure shakes, with anything that can't be drunk through a straw not counting even if they call it a shake (pet peeve of mine...Cookout shakes are awesome but they're really Blizzards).

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I’m amazed how highly you rate the BMt/Spicy Italian. I like these and they are the only ones I’ll eat at Subway, but I don’t think there is a single chain I’ve been to that offers an Italian sub that I’d rate lower than Subway. To each their own.
    I like the Jimmy John's Italian better than Subway's. I think Firehouse's Italian is not as good, but they have other sandwiches that I think are better than anything at JJ or Subway. My issue with Jersey Mikes is I don't really like the bread (too soft, I like a little bit of a perceptible crust on my sandwiches), and the sandwiches/meats are just kind of bland tasting. Quizno's used to be pretty good, but in the years between my visits I think they changed their bread (or maybe I just got a bad batch). FWIW I do customize my Italian at Subway so it isn't really a true Italian, and some of the toppings aren't available at the other chains that I know of.

I should also make it clear that the Italian is literally the only sandwich I'll order at Subway. I don't think any of their other sandwiches are good at all. Watching someone order the Tuna Salad in front of me makes me want to gag (and I love tuna salad generally).

C-f-A shakes are great. Love the cookies and cream, and also the peach when in season.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    This probably sounds weird. At least, I thought it was weird until I tried one, but Carls Jr has my favorite shakes (oreo). They claim they're hand scooped and made with real milk. Not sure if that is the norm or exception for fast food tho.
    I know Chick-fil-a at least doesn't use real milk (I think at least partly so that they can serve to lactose intolerant people although if you are lactose intolerant please double check this before taking my word for it and downing a CFA shake).

The Peach and Cookies and Cream shakes are delicious, but my favorite is the Peppermint shake which they do in the winter. I really wish they would do like a "Christmas in July" thing and make the peppermint shake available during the summer. Would be super refreshing on a hot day.

Jersey Mike's #13 Italian sub is pretty close to perfect, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    What size sandwich do you get at Jersey Mike's? Or Subway? I am not a big breakfast eater so go big at lunch. Jersey Mike's has three sizes. The smallest is useless. The medium seems to be the right place to be, especially if you get chips or something with it. Without the side, it isn't quite enough. The big one is a ton of food - I have done it before when I was very hungry. But it is also a ton of money. At times I have gotten the big one, had them cut it in quarters, and eaten three quarters and saved the last quarter.

Similar to Subway. Six inch isn't a lot, but a foot long is pretty big. Six inch with a side usually works but again, I don't always want chips.

If these were the biggest problems in my life...

Chic fila, hardees and arbys are fairly quick in my area . The rest are painfully slow due to staff shortages . Burger king is non existent due to closings . Its quicker to call in a order at a restarant in some circumstances.
    I Left canes off they are quick also.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I like the Jimmy John's Italian better than Subway's. I think Firehouse's Italian is not as good, but they have other sandwiches that I think are better than anything at JJ or Subway. My issue with Jersey Mikes is I don't really like the bread (too soft, I like a little bit of a perceptible crust on my sandwiches), and the sandwiches/meats are just kind of bland tasting. Quizno's used to be pretty good, but in the years between my visits I think they changed their bread (or maybe I just got a bad batch). FWIW I do customize my Italian at Subway so it isn't really a true Italian, and some of the toppings aren't available at the other chains that I know of.

I should also make it clear that the Italian is literally the only sandwich I'll order at Subway. I don't think any of their other sandwiches are good at all. Watching someone order the Tuna Salad in front of me makes me want to gag (and I love tuna salad generally).

I know Chick-fil-a at least doesn't use real milk (I think at least partly so that they can serve to lactose intolerant people although if you are lactose intolerant please double check this before taking my word for it and downing a CFA shake).

The Peach and Cookies and Cream shakes are delicious, but my favorite is the Peppermint shake which they do in the winter. I really wish they would do like a "Christmas in July" thing and make the peppermint shake available during the summer. Would be super refreshing on a hot day.
    It is my understanding that their shakes are made with their Icedream (soft serve ice cream) recipe, which does contain milk. It's just lower in fat. they are handspun.

For me its Arbys (almost anything there) or Taco bell if I wanna punish myself. When CFA has their spicy grilled chicken I will eat nothing else (with pepper jack cheese) but I cant find it anywhere lately and ive sworn off fried foods... Well except fries and CFA has my favorite fries. Can't stand Arbys curly fries tbh. The good thing for me during this pandemic is I have eaten a whole lot less fast food and lost a ton of weight but as restrictions have loosened I've been going back
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I'm 10% jealous and 90% happy we don't have most of those franchises around here...

Anyway — it’s Ving Rhames.
    I always just hear "Marcellus Wallace" when I see Ving's name.

Have you seen Wilson? Two ain’t enough.
    I'm in, let's go. Dipped cone my #$#!

====

Here's a question for the group. There are some places that when I eat there occasionally, I love it. But if I go back too soon I don't like it. The three that come to mind are McDonalds, Arby's and Firehouse. If I haven't had these for a couple of months, they are so good. If I go back the next week...not so much. Of those 3, Firehouse is the one that is most disappointing on that front because their Hero sub is just so good! Anyone else like that or am I just an oddball?

I'm actually glad to see this thread. I'm in good shape for my age but I still eat fast food. Most of the places I like have already been covered but here are a few thoughts:

• Bo Time - Before Covid and working from home full time, my friends and I hit Bojangles for lunch every Monday since about 1993. I have to admit that I had finally gotten tired of it and Covid interrupting that habit was probably a good thing. Most places I have 1 thing that I get but at Bo's I would change it up. That said a Chicken Filet Biscuit Combo (with Fries and Sweet Tea) is hard to beat.
    • Randy's Pizza in RTP on Miami is another favorite, don't know that it qualifies as fast food but it's quick since you can get pizza by the slice. Before last year, we had been going there every Tuesday for years.
    • Arbys - there is one by my house (and I grew up near one in Va Beach) and I like it occasionally. Several of my friends hate it.
    • Cookout - I only get shakes there, they are fantastic. I have generally found their food to be unacceptable (and I'm not that picky)
    • Five Guys - I see where guys on this thread love it, rate it above fast food, etc. I like it OK but I don't find it any better than fast food really. If you are hungry, they will give you a pound of fries with your burger. It's expensive too.
    • Jersey Mikes - One of my go to's. I have 3 subs I get there: #9 (Club Supreme), #13 (The Original Italian), #16 (Chicken Philly for hot sub days). Someone asked about sizes. The #16 doesn't come in a mini size, just Regular and Large. What I've learned over the years is that if I get a combo with a mini 9/13, chips and a drink, it's enough food (even though it looks like it won't be). If I get a regular, I'll still eat the whole thing. I go back and forth on the size (except the #16 which is always a regular).
    • Wendy's - still like their spicy chicken sandwich. Their fries are not great...if they are cool at all they are straight up disgusting.
    • McDonalds - not all MickeyD's are equal. The one closest to my house is pretty good. Every month or so love a Quarter Pounder with fries. Their fries are consistently good. Someone in this thread mentioned their spicy chicken sandwich, I'll have to try it.
    • Chick-fil-a - Consistently good. Always crowded. I minimize my trips there in support of my friends who are not straight. Also, it's gotten to the point where the robotic "my pleasure" response is creepy!
    • Backyard Burger - Just OK and overpriced. We generally go there to get my daughter chicken strips, fries and a shake (the shake is pretty good). But for what they cost, the burger just isn't good enough to keep me coming back.
    • Firehouse - really good, wish I could eat there more often. Wish I was able to drink the Cherry LimeAid.
    • Taco Bell - It is what it is, just OK. If you're in the mood for it, it'll hit the spot. Agree with rsvman about the double decker Taco, it's good!
    • Quiznos - I liked these when they were open. Despite the toasting of the sub it was good.
    • Tropical Smoothie Cafe - My teenagers love this place. I like it. Most of the time I get a pretty good sandwich there. A little small but with the chips it's plenty and if I add a smoothie it's too much.

Since I've been working from home, I cook a lot more and when I hit fast food it's usually Jersey Mikes, McDonalds and Arbys (the last 2 are the closest to my house).

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I always just hear "Marcellus Wallace" when I see Ving's name.
    “Arby’s — we have the Gimp!”

Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    This probably sounds weird. At least, I thought it was weird until I tried one, but Carls Jr has my favorite shakes (oreo). They claim they're hand scooped and made with real milk. Not sure if that is the norm or exception for fast food tho.
    I'm back with more fast food hot takes. Subway has some of the better sweet tea among fast food places. Off the top of my head (probably forgetting some or eat there rarely enough that I can't remember their tea) I would rank Chick-fil-a, Bojangles, and Biscuitville ahead of Subway but I'm not sure I can think of anyone else better. Definitely solidly ahead of McDonalds, among others.

I'm back with more fast food hot takes. Subway has some of the better sweet tea among fast food places. Off the top of my head (probably forgetting some or eat there rarely enough that I can't remember their tea) I would rank Chick-fil-a, Bojangles, and Biscuitville ahead of Subway but I'm not sure I can think of anyone else better. Definitely solidly ahead of McDonalds, among others.
    Bojangles sweet tea is just this side of corn syrup in my book. So sweet it is thick and sticks to your teeth.

Bojangles sweet tea is just this side of corn syrup in my book. So sweet it is thick and sticks to your teeth.
    This is my objection to McDonalds tea (it is basically Hummingbird food, it doesn't actually have any tea flavor). Bojangles can be too sweet, but it isn't always and cutting it with unsweet is always an option (I do that frequently pretty much everywhere anyway). Chick-fil-a has also been known to over-sweeten occasionally.

Yes...in other words, it amazing! I can't drink it anymore (pre-diabetic) but it really complements a Chicken Filet Biscuit.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I love Cincinnati chili but I stop at the grated cheddar. In other words, no raw onion and no oyster crackers. So, I guess it's 3-way?

I used to make it at home from time to time, but it's been a while. I should fire it up again sometime soon.
    That is indeed a 3-way (just chili, cheese and noodles; no onions or beans, crackers always come on the side). I'm a Cincinnati native and love my local chili. But it's definitely an acquired taste, and usually best acquired late at night as a teenager with a lot of beer in your stomach.

This is my objection to McDonalds tea (it is basically Hummingbird food, it doesn't actually have any tea flavor). Bojangles can be too sweet, but it isn't always and cutting it with unsweet is always an option (I do that frequently pretty much everywhere anyway). Chick-fil-a has also been known to over-sweeten occasionally.
    Yeah, when pouring my own, I take the unsweetened but then add a small amount of the sweet stuff on top.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I love a good Italian sub and although Jersey Mike's is pretty good, the best sub outside of the my home state of NJ comes from the deli at Publix. It's all about the bread! I know Publix is limited to the southeast, but if you're near one check it out.

Wendy's or Popeye's although it's been a while since I've had the former.

We're pretty limited for national fast food franchises in our mountain location, but I most often get the Quarter Pounder with fries at MacDonald's. The fries can be wonderful. I also love the hot apple pie for dessert -- it's so delicious I almost think there is lard in the crust.

Anyway, we had a holiday lunch party for one of my local groups -- potluck. I got a bunch of apple pies from MacD's ($1 apiece) on the way to the event, cut them into thirds, and served them on a hot platter I brought along. They were a big hit, and no one guessed.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013