Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    You can entice a minimum wage worker to change jobs for a couple bucks an hour. That won't entice a doctor or lawyer or someone else making 150k a year. You might entice one of those people to jump ship for 20k a year. You're not going to get someone making a couple mil to jump for 20k a year.

It's all relative to the market. It has to be. So no, I don't consider it out of line to what it would take someone to jump jobs relative to her compensation. Also remember that she likely has performance bonuses, lowering the effective increase by %.

So while I agree with the notion that coaches in general are overpaid, I don't think of putting it in average-wage terms does someone in that position's decision making justice. I'm sure there are people on this board who have changed jobs for a "small bump" which is larger than the yearly salary of some other people on this board. It's the world, and I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but to kim mulkey, it is not a life changing increase in compensation.
    Yep, the world is definitely geometric in scale. I would also say that Mulkey's desire to leave Baylor was -- for some reason -- growing geometrically as well.

I expect she will end up tarnishing her coaching rep, but she also has personal reasons for making the move.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I would also say that Mulkey's desire to leave Baylor was -- for some reason -- growing geometrically as well.
    If you’ve ever spent more than an hour in Waco, that wouldn’t be a mystery.

Expected, but Baylor won't be happy. This is the 1st player to follow her, will there be more?

https://www.wafb.com/2021/05/01/mulk...annah-gusters/

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Expected, but Baylor won't be happy. This is the 1st player to follow her, will there be more?

https://www.wafb.com/2021/05/01/mulk...annah-gusters/
    Poaching players from your former team is both really frowned upon and yet pretty much on brand for a “rebel” like Mulkey. She does not mind being the bad guy.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

In the vein of some of the earlier articles: https://www.insider.com/kim-mulkey-t...-baylor-2021-4

It really brings light to the kind of person Mulkey is. I have great respect for what she's accomplished as a coach, but not as a person. Not specifically for the griner thing, but coming after the reporter? Anyone whose been around here would know I hold even Duke's women's basketball coaches to the same rubric in that regard. As the other op-ed on the departure said, it's unsurprising that they were fed up with eachother.
    1200. DDMF.

In the vein of some of the earlier articles: https://www.insider.com/kim-mulkey-t...-baylor-2021-4

It really brings light to the kind of person Mulkey is. I have great respect for what she's accomplished as a coach, but not as a person. Not specifically for the griner thing, but coming after the reporter? Anyone whose been around here would know I hold even Duke's women's basketball coaches to the same rubric in that regard. As the other op-ed on the departure said, it's unsurprising that they were fed up with eachother.
    Here's the opinion of the reporter:
    "I think there's a lack of perspective in Waco, Texas, in general," Fagan said. "There's a little bit of a bubble where Kim Mulkey believes she's a God-like figure in Waco, which she is a God-like figure in Waco. So I think what translates really well in Waco doesn't necessarily translate at the post-game press conference."
    To which I would add from the late Jerry Jeff Walker's version of the Charlie Pride classic:
    Is anybody going to San Antone
    Or Phoenix, Arizona
    Anyplace is all right as long
    As I don't have to go to Waco.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Gotta wonder why Griner went to Baylor at all considering their "handbook". I've been to Baton Rouge (only because I had to attend a wedding...which didn't take anyway) but not Waco, but I can't believe there is that much difference between the two.

Culture

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Gotta wonder why Griner went to Baylor at all considering their "handbook". I've been to Baton Rouge (only because I had to attend a wedding...which didn't take anyway) but not Waco, but I can't believe there is that much difference between the two.
    I have only driven through both places, but Baylor is a Baptist school and according to a cousin who went there, the religious affiliation is a very strong part of the campus culture.

I'm not sure, but I would expect that Baton Rouge would have more of a let the good times roll atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I have only driven through both places, but Baylor is a Baptist school and according to a cousin who went there, the religious affiliation is a very strong part of the campus culture.

I'm not sure, but I would expect that Baton Rouge would have more of a let the good times roll atmosphere.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler! Oops, off by a few miles. Actually, I did both on my trip and Baton Rouge is a world removed from New Orleans. But you're probably right.

Of course this is coming from "uh_no", our resident UConn Women's basketball fan...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Of course this is coming from "uh_no", our resident UConn Women's basketball fan...
    Geno often displays the same terse-ness with the media that you would find from coach K, and like K, it sometimes spurns him: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ory?id=1528410 I'm not really a fan of such flippant responses, especially when directed at student reporters, but I think it's a different league than trying to get someone fired. And as Maya Moore and the late Pat Summit will tell you, Geno has a VERY good relationship with the media, especially the worldwide leader.
    1200. DDMF.