Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 98 of 98
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Van Nuys, CA
    Art Heyman 40 point 24 rebounds Senior Night UNC Billy Cunningham
    Duke band with seersucker uniforms Devil with the blue dress on song Introduction of players with klieg lights and the House lights dimmed. Duke smoking UCLA in 1966

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Art Heyman 40 point 24 rebounds Senior Night UNC Billy Cunningham
    Duke band with seersucker uniforms Devil with the blue dress on song Introduction of players with klieg lights and the House lights dimmed. Duke smoking UCLA in 1966

    Speaking of smoke - smoke so thick in the Indoor Stadium that you could barely see the sound baffles hanging from the ceiling.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Van Nuys, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Art Heyman 40 point 24 rebounds Senior Night UNC Billy Cunningham
    Duke band with seersucker uniforms Devil with the blue dress on song Introduction of players with klieg lights and the House lights dimmed. Duke smoking UCLA in 1966.
    Robby West game winning shot UNC
    Last edited by -jk; 04-27-2021 at 09:02 AM. Reason: fix quote tag

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Speaking of heavy smoke by halftime hanging over the top half of the 'environment', who remembers the cool scoreboards on the far end walls? Loved those things. For those who don't know, each scoreboard not only had the time and scores of the game, but had back-lit panels of glass listing the last name of each player on both teams, and I believe it was a yellow light bulb on if that player were currently on the floor, and must have been red lights for each foul the player had accrued. At the bottom there was even a back-lit panel announcing who our next 'guest' would be. Old old school technology, for sure, and I've never known any other like it. I think they had to go because they just didn't show up on tv (there was a weird additional one hanging over center court just giving time and score for a while too, I guess for tv... this would have been before 1980 or so, I'd think). I believe when the new overhead scoreboard arrived, they were given to Kittrell College, but I have no idea if they ever actually got there. Anyway, they were very, very cool, I always thought.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    I ushered at the Floor to Ceiling Dead show in the 70's.Thanks to Deadheads Duke missed on the Ziggy Stardust Tour.Head of tickets in 1974/75 Major Attractions. Had great seats for Joni Mitchell Bruce Springsteen and The E Street band. Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.Missed Janis Joplin and George Clinton Funkadelic, but did see Traffic, Yes,Rod Stewart and Faces that included Ronnie Wood Ian McLagan and Kenny Jones.Saw the Gary Melchionni 39 point performance. Saw David Thompson,Tree Rollins and Walter Davis and Durham's John Lucas play at Cameron.Duke was mediocre in the ACC those years. Duke alum Lefty Driesell was my favorite visiting coach. What a personality!Bob Fleischer, Willie Hodge, and Alan Shaw were our centers in my years as an undergrad. I saw the emergence of Tate Armstrong who was on the 1976 Gold Medal USA team.
    I got front row seats for the dead in 82, in exchange for designing the poster for the show, which now is on display in the north east corner of Cameron. Two skeletons leaning against the Duke Chapel. Sadly, I am not a Dead fan and I thought they sucked particularly horribly that night.

    Yes to all those great players, though! David Thompson was WAY better than Jerry Garcia.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    Speaking of heavy smoke by halftime hanging over the top half of the 'environment', who remembers the cool scoreboards on the far end walls? Loved those things. For those who don't know, each scoreboard not only had the time and scores of the game, but had back-lit panels of glass listing the last name of each player on both teams, and I believe it was a yellow light bulb on if that player were currently on the floor, and must have been red lights for each foul the player had accrued. At the bottom there was even a back-lit panel announcing who our next 'guest' would be. Old old school technology, for sure, and I've never known any other like it. I think they had to go because they just didn't show up on tv (there was a weird additional one hanging over center court just giving time and score for a while too, I guess for tv... this would have been before 1980 or so, I'd think). I believe when the new overhead scoreboard arrived, they were given to Kittrell College, but I have no idea if they ever actually got there. Anyway, they were very, very cool, I always thought.
    My memory is that there was also a green light to indicate which player scored the last bucket/point.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    I got front row seats for the dead in 82, in exchange for designing the poster for the show, which now is on display in the north east corner of Cameron. Two skeletons leaning against the Duke Chapel. Sadly, I am not a Dead fan and I thought they sucked particularly horribly that night.

    Yes to all those great players, though! David Thompson was WAY better than Jerry Garcia.
    I was at that show as well!

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Walking around on the court after a game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    conferences with teams I actually cared about playing
    basketball is back, baby!

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    Speaking of heavy smoke by halftime hanging over the top half of the 'environment', who remembers the cool scoreboards on the far end walls? Loved those things. For those who don't know, each scoreboard not only had the time and scores of the game, but had back-lit panels of glass listing the last name of each player on both teams, and I believe it was a yellow light bulb on if that player were currently on the floor, and must have been red lights for each foul the player had accrued. At the bottom there was even a back-lit panel announcing who our next 'guest' would be. Old old school technology, for sure, and I've never known any other like it. I think they had to go because they just didn't show up on tv (there was a weird additional one hanging over center court just giving time and score for a while too, I guess for tv... this would have been before 1980 or so, I'd think). I believe when the new overhead scoreboard arrived, they were given to Kittrell College, but I have no idea if they ever actually got there. Anyway, they were very, very cool, I always thought.
    There used to be a room in the Indoor Stadium that was filled with glass slides with Team names and player names. These were used in the scoreboard signs.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Very cool about the back room with all the names on the glass plates, and yes, I think the little green light was the last who scored on either team. I'm not sure if they'd have been able to fit all the letters of the players who now have the hyphenated last names that require a few dozen letters...

    It must have been the neatest scoreboard this side of Bill Veek's exploding scoreboard in Comiskey Park, certainly far better than that ridiculous little one in the corner on the floor at Carmichael Auditorium with the scores flipped manually by those self-important little weasels at UNC...

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Marietta, Georgia
    Herman Veal and condoms. Maybe not as funny in retrospect, but for a 20 year old in 1984 it was hysterical.

  13. #93
    Big Beers in the CI
    The Hideaway.
    "Fine" dining in the Oak Room, with beer!


    I sense a theme...

    And on a basketball front: Quin can't dunk!

  14. #94
    Street and Smith preseason mags. Usually the first I heard about incoming players and how I would find out what expectations were for our team.

    Last one I remember picking up was Brand, Battier, Burgess, and Avery.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Street and Smith preseason mags. Usually the first I heard about incoming players and how I would find out what expectations were for our team.

    Last one I remember picking up was Brand, Battier, Burgess, and Avery.
    The ACC Basketball Handbook was my magazine of choice. Apparently, you can find some old copies on eBay.

    Capture.JPG
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

  16. #96
    The signs that students rigged to drop over the court just before tip off - Bill Foster's last year, as I recall. Cheerleaders built a pyramid to try to pull it down. Can't remember if they ever figured out that someone could go out on the cat walk over the court and get the sign that way. (Same way it got up there.) I believe even one time they had paper cones that came down over the visiting bench - can't remember the message on them.

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Street and Smith preseason mags. Usually the first I heard about incoming players and how I would find out what expectations were for our team.

    Last one I remember picking up was Brand, Battier, Burgess, and Avery.
    I still have mag (think S&S) with Gene Banks in the cover. The day we landed Tinkerbell was one of the 4 most exciting days of my life. In no particular order: Wedding day, Banks announcement, birth of 1st child and 91 UNLV win.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    The signs that students rigged to drop over the court just before tip off - Bill Foster's last year, as I recall. Cheerleaders built a pyramid to try to pull it down. Can't remember if they ever figured out that someone could go out on the cat walk over the court and get the sign that way. (Same way it got up there.) I believe even one time they had paper cones that came down over the visiting bench - can't remember the message on them.
    I am sure it said "A hearty welcome to you and your boys."
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Similar Threads

  1. MBB: Duke 93, NW Miss State 60 Post-Game Thread (Pre-Season)
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 11-01-2017, 11:52 AM
  2. McCarthy to miss rest of season
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 12:57 PM
  3. Ten things I miss from last year’s tournament
    By timmy c in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM
  4. 4 things to do to enjoy the season more
    By SoCalDukeFan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 02:04 PM
  5. Hope Andre gets back into the flow of things...
    By Lord Ash in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 07:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •