Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I miss Calvin Hill watching Grant at every home game. White turtleneck. Always.

Chants that stuck:

"Air-balll" (thanks Chickie Yonaker)

"Who's your Daddy -- Battier"

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    And an occasional pizza box
    Throwing album covers at Chris "Walks with the Ball, but Runs with the Stereo" Washburn!

Bryan Adrian camp flyers with counselor names of marquee ACC players

• Watching Verga, Divenzio, then Denton and Sanders through the cigarette smoke haze in Cameron with my Dad.
    • Being able to get in student section line at 6:00 am for a UNC game and still getting a great seat to watch Duke beat the Heels 47-40
    • The old Devil Mascot before the Disney folks bulbified his head.
    • Lemon Chill being available at several spots in the Stadium
    • Cameron also being used for concerts, including my first ever (Blood, Sweat & Tears) and others (Yes, Laura Nyro, the Dead, etc...)
    • And of course, following players for four years of their development

Frisbees and tennis balls being tossed across the court - when student section surrounded the entire court - in the three hours prior to tip-off; used to drive the ushers and security nuts.

While i always miss Duke guys that dont play 3-4 years, i will miss other teams guys we got to follow during their careers and becoming a fan of theirs when they go to the pros.(Randolph Childress, Travis Best, Curtis Staples etc)

I miss senior night in Cameron. I have had season tickets for 58 years - many of them with mu Duke alum dad now deceased. My first senior night was February 23, 1963, Art Heyman's big bash. It was magical. Art scored 40 points, we clobbered the Heels 106-93 and Heyman was carried off the floor at the end of the game on the shoulders of his teammates. King Arthur!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

All Ugly Team- yep that was a thing.

U G L Y you ain't got no alibi
    you're ugly, Carolina ugly.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Back in the Day

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    U G L Y you ain't got no alibi
    you're ugly, Carolina ugly.
    You have to be an old geezer to remember Lou Bello - an official who really played to the crowd. And he was president of the Duke student government in his day and perhaps, unbelievably a respected official. Anyway loved by Cameron crowd, don't know about other schools.

Yep and O’Koren got two places on the 1st team.

Quote Originally Posted by wncgrad View Post
    You have to be an old geezer to remember Lou Bello - an official who really played to the crowd. And he was president of the Duke student government in his day and perhaps, unbelievably a respected official. Anyway loved by Cameron crowd, don't know about other schools.
    Lenny "You're the" Wirtz

"You suck" Dick Paparo
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Before my time- I think. I found this. Sounds like an entertaining guy.

https://www.bcyesteryear.com/loubellot

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    He was part of the State radio crew (pre-game, IIRC) into at least the late '80s (he died in 1991.) I didn't know at the time he was a Duke grad, wouldn't have known it from his broadcasts (the few I heard.) Met him once while over at Carter-Finley with the band.

I remember Lou Bello, although he couldn't work Duke games. I saw him referee Norm Sloan's Citadel games, and my friends at Clemson really went wild when he reffed the Tigers' games.

But the part left out was that he was a Nazi prisoner of war:

Bello was born and raised in Ossining, N.Y. He attended Duke before serving in the Army Air Corps in World War II, and he was a prisoner of war in Germany for eight months before returning to Duke after the war.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

We could probably do a whole Lou Bello discussion. This board's namesake was a good friend of his.

-jk

Watching Max Crowder getting redder and redder as he berated the officials from the end of the Duke bench for bad calls against Duke.
    Unscripted creativity of the fans.
    The fencing separating the upstairs student sections from the other fans.
    Students waving blue books at an opposing team player accused of plagiarism.
    The pep band playing “Pin Ball Wizard” when NC State’s Tommy Burleson was introduced in player introductions after having been caught stealing quarters from pin ball machines.
    Norm Sloan hating on Duke students during post game tv interviews for their “classy” behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    • Watching Verga, Divenzio, then Denton and Sanders through the cigarette smoke haze in Cameron with my Dad.
    • Being able to get in student section line at 6:00 am for a UNC game and still getting a great seat to watch Duke beat the Heels 47-40
    • The old Devil Mascot before the Disney folks bulbified his head.
    • Lemon Chill being available at several spots in the Stadium
    • Cameron also being used for concerts, including my first ever (Blood, Sweat & Tears) and others (Yes, Laura Nyro, the Dead, etc...)
    • And of course, following players for four years of their development
    I ushered at the Floor to Ceiling Dead show in the 70's.Thanks to Deadheads Duke missed on the Ziggy Stardust Tour.Head of tickets in 1974/75 Major Attractions. Had great seats for Joni Mitchell Bruce Springsteen and The E Street band. Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.Missed Janis Joplin and George Clinton Funkadelic, but did see Traffic, Yes,Rod Stewart and Faces that included Ronnie Wood Ian McLagan and Kenny Jones.Saw the Gary Melchionni 39 point performance. Saw David Thompson,Tree Rollins and Walter Davis and Durham's John Lucas play at Cameron.Duke was mediocre in the ACC those years. Duke alum Lefty Driesell was my favorite visiting coach. What a personality!Bob Fleischer, Willie Hodge, and Alan Shaw were our centers in my years as an undergrad. I saw the emergence of Tate Armstrong who was on the 1976 Gold Medal USA team.

Bill Foster’s summer basketball camp.