Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    No air conditioning in Cameron made the greatest home court advantage in the sport just that much greater.

The old days

Early 70's student, Armstrong arrived my junior year and Spanarkel my senior year. I remember the 85-81 upset of 3rd ranked Maryland freshman year. Gary Melchionni (Lee's dad) dropped 39 points on the Terms, 28 in the 2nd half, on 17 for 25 FG attempts in the then Indoor Stadium. Can't think of a better performance since...Maybe Shane vs Arizona or Laettner vs UK or any game where G Hill suited up. Remember the Asheville? cloggers at halftime and the incessant playing of Dueling Banjos from Deliverance. Remembered playing pick-up in Cameron and intramural hoops there also. As others have mentioned: skull caps and air horns and Bog behind the visitors bench, students on all fours sides of the floor and no face paint.

Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    Early 70's student, Armstrong arrived my junior year and Spanarkel my senior year. I remember the 85-81 upset of 3rd ranked Maryland freshman year. Gary Melchionni (Lee's dad) dropped 39 points on the Terms, 28 in the 2nd half, on 17 for 25 FG attempts in the then Indoor Stadium. Can't think of a better performance since...Maybe Shane vs Arizona or Laettner vs UK or any game where G Hill suited up. Remember the Asheville? cloggers at halftime and the incessant playing of Dueling Banjos from Deliverance. Remembered playing pick-up in Cameron and intramural hoops there also. As others have mentioned: skull caps and air horns and Bog behind the visitors bench, students on all fours sides of the floor and no face paint.
    This! This is the premium content I was hoping for with this thread.

Thanks to all for participating and also not turning it into an opportunity to complain about how different things are now.

We can appreciate the past without being salty about the present.

I miss the 8 team conference and the round robin schedule. The excitement of the acc tourney and how much it meant. The sound of Thacker and Bones and Packer calling the games with Sail with the Pilot. Having players stay and not leave early. Man, it seems such a long time ago now.

Standing over the opposing bench and screaming so loudly that they had to move into the court. Going out to buy Barry Jacob’s Fan Guide as the only way to learn about the new crop of players in the league- you know the ones that would likely stay all four years.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    I think that was Cameron, not Page. I know I went to an Elvis show in Cameron about that time, where he had the wheel. Did some acoustic covers of the Dead. Also asked for a female drummer from the audience to join him on stage, and the friend I was with was exactly that - she BOLTED up to the stage and got to play a song with Elvis

I know not the gist of the thread, but fun to relive another type of 80s Cameron memory!
    Whoops. Yes, google search says it was Cameron, not Page. Page was R.E.M. 1984. For some reason there's a bit of a haze surrounding those rock concert memories.

I remember getting recruiting news from The Poop Sheet. Which became ACC Sports Journal, and ACCSports.com. The annual ACC Basketball Handbook. That had lengthy pre-season write-ups of the teams. And Street & Smiths yearbooks.

Looking at sports reference results, Duke's '76 team lost 9 games by a total of 17 points at the end of regulation, including 2 OT games and 6 games by 1 or 2 points. And in '77 an opening loss in Big 4 to Wake by a point, then wins over 2 top 20 teams (NC State and Tennessee) as part of a 10 game win streak ended by an OT loss to a ranked Clemson team. So almost a 12-0 start but for a couple of points. The way I remember it there was a fine line separating the top and bottom of the ACC back then. I rooted for every ACC team against non-conference teams, which is atypical, I know, and wanted to see all 7, post South Carolina, pre-Georgia Tech, ranked.

Speaking of South Carolina, I think those John Roche teams were the first I have a memory of.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Standing over the opposing bench and screaming so loudly that they had to move into the court. Going out to buy Barry Jacob’s Fan Guide as the only way to learn about the new crop of players in the league- you know the ones that would likely stay all four years.
    Ah yes, Barry Jacob's Fans Guide. I may still have one buried somewhere. And I miss coaches who appreciated our student crowd. Thinking specifically of Valvano and a few of his interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by wobatus View Post
    Looking at sports reference results, Duke's '76 team lost 9 games by a total of 17 points at the end of regulation, including 2 OT games and 6 games by 1 or 2 points. And in '77 an opening loss in Big 4 to Wake by a point, then wins over 2 top 20 teams (NC State and Tennessee) as part of a 10 game win streak ended by an OT loss to a ranked Clemson team. So almost a 12-0 start but for a couple of points. The way I remember it there was a fine line separating the top and bottom of the ACC back then. I rooted for every ACC team against non-conference teams, which is atypical, I know, and wanted to see all 7, post South Carolina, pre-Georgia Tech, ranked.

Speaking of South Carolina, I think those John Roche teams were the first I have a memory of.
    Roche and Tom Owens ran what seemed like a pro-level pick and roll that led to victories for South Carolina in Indoor Stadium in 1969 and 1970. Duke did get a win over South Carolina in the 1969 ACC Tournament and made it to the finals, where they lost to UNC with Charlie Scott delivering one of the greatest individual performances in ACC history.

Excellent piece by Jim Sumner on Duke's 1969 season, including this description of Scott's great game.

It’s difficult to explain how good Scott was down the stretch. He was a skinny 6-6 but tough enough to average over seven rebounds that season. He could shoot, he could handle. He was too quick for Duke’s big men, too big for Duke’s wings.

Lind says Duke was “helpless” against the onslaught. “I think he might be the most underrated player in ACC history. We couldn’t do anything to slow him down.”

And Duke went ice-cold at the wrong time.

Scott hit a jumper, a foul shot and another jumper and it was 53-47. Scott tied it at 56 with a layup and gave the Tar Heels a 58-56 lead with another. He scored 12 of their 14 points in a run that lasted less than five minutes.

Remember Duke didn’t play any subs the night before.

“Fatigue was a factor,” Lind concedes. “No doubt.”

“We were gassed,” Vandenberg adds.

Duke trailed by only 71-70 with 6:48 left. But by this time they were running on fumes. Carolina went to the four corners with a 75-70 lead. Duke got a steal but DeVenzio missed and Scott answered with a three-point play. That was it.

The final was 85-74. Scott scored 28 of his 40 points after intermission. He hit 17-of-23 from the field.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...acc-tournament
    Last edited by roywhite; 04-25-2021 at 11:35 AM. Reason: more on 1969 season

In the more recent realm... I miss F.I.T.S!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    In the more recent realm... I miss F.I.T.S!
    be advised that FITS lurks.

roywhite mentions the 1969-70 Roche-Owens Gamecock team (with John Ribock et al). For those who weren't around for that, I think the tension in the Indoor Stadium was greater during those games than any I've ever seen...there have been tons of high tension games with unc, but the atmosphere when So. Carolina came to town in those days was such that you could expect a brawl to break out at any time...I do admit I wasn't around for the Heyman-unc brawl game...

I remember a game against GT in the early to mid 90s where a fan was really riding Malcom Mackey hard during warmups. Finally Mackey walked over to the guy, who was sitting right around half court a few rows back, handed him the ball, and said “ok smart guy let’s see you do better.”

Dude promptly swished a shot from the bleachers. Place went nuts. Game was effectively over before it began.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    be advised that FITS lurks.

roywhite mentions the 1969-70 Roche-Owens Gamecock team (with John Ribock et al). For those who weren't around for that, I think the tension in the Indoor Stadium was greater during those games than any I've ever seen...there have been tons of high tension games with unc, but the atmosphere when So. Carolina came to town in those days was such that you could expect a brawl to break out at any time...I do admit I wasn't around for the Heyman-unc brawl game...
    If FITS has moved somewhere, feel free to PM me the details

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Throwing tennis balls
    Ah, that was you. You must have an arm to make those throws from Rockville Centre, NY.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Ah, that was you. You must have an arm to make those throws from Rockville Centre, NY.

GoDuke!
    I was just having a catch with OPK! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    No air conditioning in Cameron made the greatest home court advantage in the sport just that much greater.
    Also enjoyed the birds in the rafters.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Also enjoyed the birds in the rafters.
    I haven't been in Cameron for a few years now, but the "air conditioning" was pretty unimpressive...yes, the old days of mega heat did build character...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Throwing tennis balls
    And an occasional pizza box

Green ..........Shorts

Backwards shorts?