Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The full conference round robin

The Pep band sat in chairs underneath the basket in the late 1970's. As a trombone player, I sat on the front row, and I generally sat as close to the basket as possible. We were, ahem, verbal with the opposing players who would often "chat" with us when lining up for a free throw. I also recall how I got tired of schlepping my trombone back and forth to the dorm, so I found an unlocked closet on the concourse in Cameron and just left it there. I would pick it up before the game and return it afterwards. It was never locked!

How quaint to consider in hindsight.

I also remember the intros prior to games when the lights were turned off and the spotlight followed the players onto the court. A bit of pre videoboard excitement.

Is it too obvious to say I miss the Maryland rivalry?

I miss Duke basketball camps, where evenings were open run and you could go play pick up in Card or stay in Cameron and watch the new team (who had just reported for summer school) play pick up. I obviously chose to stay in the stands every single night.

I miss the Great Alaskan Shootout, because nothing said welcome to college hoops season like seeing the November Alaskan scenery shots and staying up to 2 am to see Duke play.

I miss (ok this is a cheat) NCAA March Madness video games.

Raycom.

Games on Raycom and their graphics. Sunday night ACC hoops were my favorite.

The Duke basketball logo at Cameron Indoor with the basketball and hoop inside the “D”.

Thacker and Packer. Occasionally Bones McKinney thrown in.

Sail with the Pilot, all the way...

Fun thread - thanks. I became a fan in the mid-80s but lived in the NY-area. Went to Duke in the mid-90s. Some great ideas above that I will repeat and add some others. I tend to be a very nostalgic person so forgive me.

- Full round-robin ACC schedule with plenty of time for big non-conference games
    - Knowing the name of every scholarship player and even some walk-ons on every ACC team, plus the names of a lot of refs (Lenny is the Wirtz, Dick Paparo (won't mention his cheer))
    - The old list of game songs played by the band that they released on a CD in the late 90s/early 2000s.
    - Bob Harris (no offense to the new guys who are fine, but, well, Bob Harris)
    - Shorter ACC tournament that was the toughest ticket around
    - Basketball players living the lives of regular students - I routinely saw them eating in regular dining halls, at parties, etc.
    - Pre-season pickup games by the team in Card that regular students could often get into (and get dunked on)
    - The Poop Sheet and anxiously awaiting the fall release of all of the college basketball preview magazines
    - The Chronicle in print five days a week
    - Home baseball games at historic Jack Coombs field so students could wander over and catch a few innings on a beautiful North Carolina spring day

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Back in the day, you could see players in the now designated Cambridge Inn, that is, I think it's still there. They actually sat with each other and said hello to we mere plebeians.
    Seeing Johnny Dawkins, David Henderson and a few others in the Devil's Den minding their own business (and others minding theirs) playing video games and shooting pool (Please help! Was there a pool table in the Devil's Den? Maybe it was foosball or that hockey game with the bubble top?). Memory can be cruel but I remember my games were Donkey Kong, Joust and Dragon's Lair.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I miss life before cell phones and video games when people actually spoke meaningfully to each other and it took a little effort the make plans and get together. I miss watching kids play outside, riding bikes, flying kites, and making up games with their own imaginations. I miss pre-cable TV days when you could watch things like Ali/Frasier, O.J. topping 2000 yards for the season in the snow against the Jets, and Hank Aaron breaking Babe Ruth's home run record for free. I miss not know what PED's are. I miss student athletes. I miss things like lawn darts, monkey bars on concrete, no such thing as bicycle helmets, etc. Taught you how to be careful. I miss kids going out to play and the parents not knowing where they are. They just said, "Be back by supper time." I miss being able to tell the time by the sun. Kids didn't wear watches and we just knew about what time it was. We were more touch with nature. We could also read analog clocks when needed. I miss TV dinners complete with the packets that made milk blue or pink. I miss TV trays in the living room on Sunday nights watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom followed by The Wonderful World of Disney movie of the week. I miss space fight being important to everyone every single time. I miss Star Trek original series and Wild Wild West. I miss Saturday morning cartoons including Johnny Quest. Now I'm rhyming so I'll let it rest.

I remember the mid to late 60's when Duke students sat in the entire lower level. When the Duke freshmen came unto the court the noise was probably as loud as for most other teams' varsity. When the Duke varsity came out with the pep band playing "Let's Go!", the noise was deafening. When opposing players were introduced, they were greeted with "Who's he?" When Duke players were introduced, it was so loud you couldn't even hear their names.

It wasn't just about getting to watch our guys develop over the years. It was getting to know, appreciate, and sometimes "hate" the other players in the conference.

Beer on points.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If you weren't watching from the upstairs with an onion on your belt, you didn't see it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I miss when after games you could go onto the court, and kids could shoot around. Then guys like Shane and JJ would come out, sit down and sign stuff, especially for the kids. I miss the Plumlees. At the BBall camps Coach K would sit at a table and sign for folks. I miss the good Duke cups the soda you bought at games came in, they were collectible (now they just have coke on the cup).

Good Thread!

" From, Rockville City, NY, #25, Art Heyman". I loved to hear the player introductions back in the 60s. Gave me chill bumps. Like others have said, I miss the Dixie Classic, The Big Four Tournament and the exhibition games played in small gyms around the triad/triangle. Easy access to players and coaches. It was just a better time.

GoDuke!

I miss the UNC games being broadcast on both ESPN and Raycom, for absolutely no discernible reason.

I miss the time when the only ear shattering noise in Cameron was the cheering of the Crazies. (Before the obnoxious ear shattering piped-in music through the PA system, which tends to suppress the creativity and cheering by the fans.)

8 team conference. (Greatest round-robin tournament ever)

Watching players grow and develop & stick it out till their time came.

In the '60s when all games were not televised. Listening to the Duke games on the radio in my bedroom.

The big non-conference games in Feb.

Being able to purchase affordable tickets for games in Cameron when the students were out for Holiday break. I took my niece to Cameron to see her first game there. It was the first game Dawkins, Alarie, Henderson, played vs ECU. Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Playing stickball in the streets, trading baseball cards, playing whatever sport was in season...

As a teenager, when very few games were televised, the only time I could listen to Duke games on the radio at home was during the day. At night, the Charlotte AM radio station that carried Duke games cut their power and the signal wasn’t strong enough. I would get in my father’s car and drive to Charlotte and sit in a Shoneys drive through to listen to the games, dutifully keeping a scorecard tracking shot attempts/made shots by the likes of Verga, Vacendek, Marin, Mullins, Tison, Buckley, and the others. Other teenagers would be “cruising”, trying to meet up. My drive home would be much more enjoyable after a win. My dad would be waiting up for me to find out if Duke won.

nickel beers that come with free sandwiches are missed as well...

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    " From, Rockville Centre, NY, #25, Art Heyman". I loved to hear the player introductions back in the 60s. Gave me chill bumps. Like others have said, I miss the Dixie Classic, The Big Four Tournament and the exhibition games played in small gyms around the triad/triangle. Easy access to players and coaches. It was just a better time.

GoDuke!
    FIFY, it's my hometown
    Rich

Throwing tennis balls
    Rich