Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Joey Baker is coming back for his senior year!

https://youtu.be/AYOcqNlXKk8

Joey is officially back per a great video posted by Duke Basketball. I am posting this on my iPhone, so hopefully the link above works. Not sure if this has already been posted, but Joey definitely deserves his own thread.

No shade at any of the guys who decided to leave, but it’s great to see a kid willing to stick it out, because he loves Duke and wants to win. Joey was probably the one guy on the team who no one would have blamed for deciding to move on, which makes it all the more special that he’s staying. I hope this dude gets everything out of his senior year that he wants.

Sounds like this will be his last go round, which is too bad, since I think he would be super valuable as a fifth year senior. I suppose things could always change, but I’ll wish him well if he decides to move on. For now, I’m just happy that he’ll be back next year.
    Last edited by SupaDave; 04-24-2021 at 02:02 PM.

In another thread I mentioned I was a little uncertain about Joey after only watching last season. That video was awesome though I see why everyone likes him. Can't hold a pandemic year against someone in my book. I hope he gets an amazing senior season.

Joey stands to greatly benefit from the Duke network and degree if he decides to go into coaching, broadcasting, management, or any of the basketball tangent professions. He comes across as intelligent, eloquent and good natured so I am sure he'll succeed in whatever he pursues after college.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Four year guys are THE BEST to listen to on Senior Night!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    And let’s not forget Joey can be a 5 year guy because if the COVID free year, which essentially gave him back that burned redshirt.

In lamenting Joey’s lack of development last year, we often lost sight of the fact that he should by all accounts have been a RS sophomore, rather than a junior. Joey will have every opportunity to claim a role on this year’s squad and potentially be an X-factor off the bench. I hope he takes full advantage because by all accounts this is a kid who has worked his butt off for it.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by shavcountry View Post

Joey is officially back per a great video posted by Duke Basketball. I am posting this on my iPhone, so hopefully the link above works. Not sure if this has already been posted, but Joey definitely deserves his own thread.

No shade at any of the guys who decided to leave, but it’s great to see a kid willing to stick it out, because he loves Duke and wants to win. Joey was probably the one guy on the team who no one would have blamed for deciding to move on, which makes it all the more special that he’s staying. I hope this dude gets everything out of his senior year that he wants.

Sounds like this will be his last go round, which is too bad, since I think he would be super valuable as a fifth year senior. I suppose things could always change, but I’ll wish him well if he decides to move on. For now, I’m just happy that he’ll be back next year.
    Nice video. Worth the watch.

Joey has always struck me as a hard worker on the court. Looks like he is a hard worker off the court, too.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    By the way, I know that sounds ridiculously redundant. But the way things are going now, "senior night" is setting up to be the most long lasting player, which could even be just three years. Or we could a speech from Joe Jorgensojn. "Hi guys, thanks for sticking around. I'll never forget that one time when y'all cheered for me when I almost made that layup against Stetson with 33 seconds to go. Moment of my life. Brotherhood!"
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by shavcountry View Post

That is a damn great video! Thank you Joey Buckets.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I know most of us are waiting for Joey to break out, but I was pleasantly surprised with his defense last season.

Thanks Joey for sticking around. I hope you light it up next season and have a year for the ages! Glad to have a student athlete like you on next years team. Go Duke!

Nothing would make me happier then for him to have a breakout season - spacing the floor with his shooting ability, playing hard-nosed D, and leading both on the court and off. With all due respect for the Brakefield, Coleman, and Alex O'Connells of the world, Joey is a guy who has faced serious competition for minutes every year and has been willing to accept that challenge head on, doing whatever it takes to earn his playing time. I'll never forget his leadership from the bench during that Louisville comeback three seasons ago, he didn't play a minute but I have no doubt that without him on the bench we lose that game.

I agree with Mom, 'a good kid'. Hope the best for him and a great senior year.

Here's to hoping that Joey's confidence level shooting is equivalent to his enthusiasm for Duke Basketball. Have a great year Joey Buckets !

I know it's redundant but I have to say it - great video! Seems like a classy kid from a classy family. Kudos to the mom as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    I know most of us are waiting for Joey to break out, but I was pleasantly surprised with his defense last season.
    Agree--he really played with intensity every minute he was on the floor. Hope he can lead with that competitive spirit and pass it on to the young guys.

Loved this video. Great kid. Loved Coach Ks comment that Joey has to have the confidence to shoot it. He will get his shot to shine his senior year. Go get it Joey.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    And let’s not forget Joey can be a 5 year guy because if the COVID free year, which essentially gave him back that burned redshirt.

In lamenting Joey’s lack of development last year, we often lost sight of the fact that he should by all accounts have been a RS sophomore, rather than a junior. Joey will have every opportunity to claim a role on this year’s squad and potentially be an X-factor off the bench. I hope he takes full advantage because by all accounts this is a kid who has worked his butt off for it.
    yes, Joey sure deserves another year (beyond next) should he want it..the circumstances of his burned redshirt are unfortunate...would love to see him prosper.

Hope Joey has a HUGE year! He's stuck through it all and been team first. He almost single-handedly brought us back from the dead in one game this year (Louisville? I forget exactly...), and hope he does that a few more times next season. Wish him nothing but success and given the huge number of posts on threads of players leaving, definitely looking to emphasize the positive and guys like Joey who give Duke their all for their whole career even with some bumps along the way. We're rooting for you Joey and thanks for coming back!

thank you, joey...for showing us that it can still happen.. now get down to the weight room !!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I'll take a Joey Baker over a Jalen Johnson all day, every day.

Thanks for coming back big guy. His shooting is going to be a big plus and I hope he will have worked himself into meaningful minutes because he certainly deserves them considering the climate.