Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
Idk if Zion should get paid in High School thats not what I was discussing. And no, I am not saying there should be no such thing as amateur sports generally idk why you are imputing that to me. If you read my post I was only talking about the NCAA. If you are astounded why it is the NCAA's rule and not the NBA's then you don't seem to understand what is at issue. It is antitrust law and the NCAA being in potential violation of the Sherman Act. Arguably, the NCAA sets labor costs unreasonably low (by not paying players) which allows it to use exclusionary tactics to maintain its monopoly over the college athletics market. If another competitor entered the market, they could not force college athletes to play for free (overtime paying athletes 100k). Essentially, a competitor enters the market, with higher costs because it is paying its workers, so the NCAA marginally lowers its price below the new competitors (it can remain profitable because it pays players nothing) until the competitor is driven out of business. At which point the NCAA will return its price to normal. That is the theory anyway not saying I agree with it. This is entirely different than the NBA requiring a certain requisite of players. This is not amateurism generally although if the supreme court rules against the NCAA i could see high schools being involved eventually.

Edit: I'm sorry to everyone who keeps seeing me talk about this stuff in threads. I don't mean to be argumentative or die on this hill. This will be my last response about this i promise I don't care all that much.
Well I’m not a lawyer so I’m not arguing legalities. But yes I’m utterly dismayed that the people who are chapped about athletes not getting paid take aim at the amateur league that welcomes the athletes to participate voluntarily at no pay instead of the for profit league that arbitrarily bans them from playing for a year.