Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    Idk if Zion should get paid in High School thats not what I was discussing. And no, I am not saying there should be no such thing as amateur sports generally idk why you are imputing that to me. If you read my post I was only talking about the NCAA. If you are astounded why it is the NCAA's rule and not the NBA's then you don't seem to understand what is at issue. It is antitrust law and the NCAA being in potential violation of the Sherman Act. Arguably, the NCAA sets labor costs unreasonably low (by not paying players) which allows it to use exclusionary tactics to maintain its monopoly over the college athletics market. If another competitor entered the market, they could not force college athletes to play for free (overtime paying athletes 100k). Essentially, a competitor enters the market, with higher costs because it is paying its workers, so the NCAA marginally lowers its price below the new competitors (it can remain profitable because it pays players nothing) until the competitor is driven out of business. At which point the NCAA will return its price to normal. That is the theory anyway not saying I agree with it. This is entirely different than the NBA requiring a certain requisite of players. This is not amateurism generally although if the supreme court rules against the NCAA i could see high schools being involved eventually.

Edit: I'm sorry to everyone who keeps seeing me talk about this stuff in threads. I don't mean to be argumentative or die on this hill. This will be my last response about this i promise I don't care all that much.
    Well I’m not a lawyer so I’m not arguing legalities. But yes I’m utterly dismayed that the people who are chapped about athletes not getting paid take aim at the amateur league that welcomes the athletes to participate voluntarily at no pay instead of the for profit league that arbitrarily bans them from playing for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Well I’m not a lawyer so I’m not arguing legalities. But yes I’m utterly dismayed that the people who are chapped about athletes not getting paid take aim at the amateur league that welcomes the athletes to participate voluntarily at no pay instead of the for profit league that arbitrarily bans them from playing for a year.
    ah that makes sense. I apologize for shifting the goal posts into an analysis into the sherman act and the upcoming arguments for the SCOTUS case. I also worry college sports will be diluted even though i sympathize with the players. Def my favorite thing to watch probs ever.

So the front page article says Master P’s kid has a $2.5 Million NIL deal waiting for him while he plays a Tennessee State as a 3* recruit. The article doesn’t say who signed him. Quick internet search yields no answer. News outlets all reporting the Master p “says” there is a deal. Sounds like a publicity stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    So the front page article says Master P’s kid has a $2.5 Million NIL deal waiting for him while he plays a Tennessee State as a 3* recruit. The article doesn’t say who signed him. Quick internet search yields no answer. News outlets all reporting the Master p “says” there is a deal. Sounds like a publicity stunt.
    I thought the same thing. There is no way a decent, but not a likely future pro, is worth $2.5 mil playing for a small HBCU. If there really is a deal in place, I would imagine that some robust participation by Master P himself is part of the deal and that the deal likely lasts for many years or something like that.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It seems you are torturing the Sherman Act.
    I’m not a lawyer and also have a bit of a headache (thanks for asking), but I think we at Duke may owe a lot to the Sherman Antitrust Act. By the turn of the 20th century, the Duke family had a monopoly on cigarettes through its American Tobacco Company. By the end of the Sherman antitrust lawsuit, after 1910, the company was divided into 4 companies: American Tobacco, RJ Reynolds, Liggett & Meyers, and Lorillard.

A little over a decade after that landmark reshuffling, JB Duke created the Duke endowment, and Trinity agreed to change its name to honor a nearby hotel, the Washington Duke. Okay, maybe they were honoring JB’s father.

Anyway, it’s possible things would have played out the same way, and I don’t know the actual story, but I’m assuming the Dukes got a bucket of cash out of the deal, which might have contributed to their decision to sink it in the local college in addition to whatever else they bought or invested in.