Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Is it time to say, "the name on the front of the jersey" is important? As in, Duke Ky., Kansas, Celtics, Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, Tar Heels.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    While I’m all in favor of college athletes being compensated fairly for the value they bring, I think we’re going to quickly see that many, many people watch college basketball because of the name on the front of the jersey, not on the back. Sure, there are exceptions like Zion, but Zion is one in 7 billion.
    Yup!

There’s a reason it’s been so hard to get college athletes compensated and it’s not just about “amateurism” and the greedy NCAA (though it’s very much about those things). The schools have a ton of leverage because *they* are the product just as much of the players, with some obvious and notable exceptions.

The G league will always lose money but the NBA can afford to fund their own development league especially since it’s their rule that keeps 18 yr olds from going pro. I think G league options like Ignite are the best possible outcome for college basketball. But it could be negated by the “Name, Image and Likeness” nonsense coming down the pike. Scoot is reportedly getting $1 million over 2-years. I think some college’s boosters will happily dwarf that number. I know others disagree, but I find the thought of schools lining up competitive offers to out-bid the NCAA to be nauseating.

Elite High School League

High school basketball powerhouses form national league set to begin in 2021-22 season

Jeff BorzelloPaul Biancardi

Six of the biggest high school basketball powerhouses, including Oak Hill Academy (Virginia) and Montverde Academy (Florida), are forming an elite national league set to begin in the 2021-22 season.

The National Interscholastic Basketball Conference will feature traditional powers Oak Hill, Montverde, IMG Academy (Florida), La Lumiere School (Indiana), Sunrise Christian Academy (Kansas) and Wasatch Academy (Utah), along with two other schools yet to be announced. The eight teams will play a 10-game regular season, play in special NIBC events and hold a postseason tournament.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...2021-22-season

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    The G league will always lose money but the NBA can afford to fund their own development league especially since it’s their rule that keeps 18 yr olds from going pro. I think G league options like Ignite are the best possible outcome for college basketball. But it could be negated by the “Name, Image and Likeness” nonsense coming down the pike. Scoot is reportedly getting $1 million over 2-years. I think some college’s boosters will happily dwarf that number. I know others disagree, but I find the thought of schools lining up competitive offers to out-bid the NCAA to be nauseating.
    I pray that we do not become one of those schools.
    Last edited by TKG; 05-24-2021 at 11:35 AM.