Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This articulates my stance perfectly. It's ruining my enjoyment of the sport. However, my enjoyment of the sport and our team is not the most important factor. I recognize the athlete's ability to follow their own path is far more significant than my own ability to recall full rosters.
    I just flat don't agree with this. "Regular" students have the ability to transfer, but they don't, at least not at anywhere close to the rate that athletes do. Why? Because there actually is a penalty in most cases for transferring, in that most colleges have a residency requirement to get a degree, and when accepting transfer credits, limitations do apply (grades aren't usually accepted when transferring, many degree-centric courses must be done in residency, different institutions have different prerequisites and requirements, etc.). Getting a degree is a four-year enterprise at minimum in most cases, and taking extra time to get the degree costs significant money.

Elite college basketball players, for the most part, aren't in it for the degree and aren't paying to attend, so it is no longer a four-year enterprise. Instead, it is variable-length and the usual student transfer limitations do not apply. Instead, the college game is treated like a professional league in most ways, except actually paying the players. There is NO professional sports league that I'm aware of which permits unlimited free agency, and all players operate on binding contracts. Pro leagues understand that continuity is important, both on the field and for the fans. Most of the time, the development leagues are among the most restrictive in terms of player movement, and free agency is earned over time. College ball, if its primary function is to be an NBA development league, should be no different. There needs to be a limitation on player movement for the good of the game.

Basketball seems to be the only college sport that doesn't acknowledge this. It's actively bad for player development. Heck, much of the value that K once brought to the table was how good he was at developing athletes and making them better. Now, when a player doesn't like what they're hearing, they can just ignore it. They can be somewhere else next year, anyway.

IMO, this is much more basic to the sport than, "I can't remember last year's roster."

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I just flat don't agree with this. "Regular" students have the ability to transfer, but they don't, at least not at anywhere close to the rate that athletes do. Why? Because there actually is a penalty in most cases for transferring, in that most colleges have a residency requirement to get a degree, and when accepting transfer credits, limitations do apply (grades aren't usually accepted when transferring, many degree-centric courses must be done in residency, different institutions have different prerequisites and requirements, etc.). Getting a degree is a four-year enterprise at minimum in most cases, and taking extra time to get the degree costs significant money.

Elite college basketball players, for the most part, aren't in it for the degree and aren't paying to attend, so it is no longer a four-year enterprise. Instead, it is variable-length and the usual student transfer limitations do not apply. Instead, the college game is treated like a professional league in most ways, except actually paying the players. There is NO professional sports league that I'm aware of which permits unlimited free agency, and all players operate on binding contracts. Pro leagues understand that continuity is important, both on the field and for the fans. Most of the time, the development leagues are among the most restrictive in terms of player movement, and free agency is earned over time. College ball, if its primary function is to be an NBA development league, should be no different. There needs to be a limitation on player movement for the good of the game.

Basketball seems to be the only college sport that doesn't acknowledge this. It's actively bad for player development. Heck, much of the value that K once brought to the table was how good he was at developing athletes and making them better. Now, when a player doesn't like what they're hearing, they can just ignore it. They can be somewhere else next year, anyway.

IMO, this is much more basic to the sport than, "I can't remember last year's roster."
    I don't understand which part you disagree with - that it is impacting my enjoyment of the game, or that their own personal agency is more important than my personal enjoyment of watching young men in shorts chase a ball around on television?

I don't understand which part you disagree with - that it is impacting my enjoyment of the game, or that their own personal agency is more important than my personal enjoyment of watching young men in shorts chase a ball around on television?
    I take you at your word that it impacts your enjoyment of the game. I stated my position on personal agency.

My Take

I have a friend who many years ago played baseball at a small Div 1 school. He told me that the only reason he went to college was to play ball. If he could not play ball he would have left school. He graduated and had a very successful business career at a large company, a career that probably would not have gotten started without the degree.

I think many, probably most, Div I athletes have their sport at the top of their priority. Colleges support this by admitting players based more on their athletics than their academics.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    There is NO professional sports league that I'm aware of which permits unlimited free agency, and all players operate on binding contracts. Pro leagues understand that continuity is important, both on the field and for the fans.
    Pro sports teams secure that continuity by entering into contracts with players whereby the players are paid a market rate for their services, and both parties are bound by the contract for its duration. And even then superstar players are often able to leverage trades if they want out of town.

Players would be a LOT more willing to switch to something like that system than the schools or the NCAA would be.

Good to find a balance.

I get that this year/last year was an anomaly because of the pandemic, so everyone took advantage of the "unlimited" transfers.

But I think its fair to everyone moving forwards, that you get one transfer without sitting out.

How many times do college coaches leave their jobs/get fired and the players they recruited are left in the lurch?

This will hopefully balance things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Good to find a balance.

I get that this year/last year was an anomaly because of the pandemic, so everyone took advantage of the "unlimited" transfers.

But I think its fair to everyone moving forwards, that you get one transfer without sitting out.

How many times do college coaches leave their jobs/get fired and the players they recruited are left in the lurch?

This will hopefully balance things out.
    I’m all for players getting to leave without penalty if their coach leaves but this free for all I do not like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeblue91 View Post
    I would be interested to see who and or how will be the first coach or booster going shopping and trying to recruit players away from their college.
    How is the ncaa going to try to control the poaching of players.
    Maybe this is their way of admitting they can't control it. Kinda joking kinda not

I don't think you can call college sports a development league and then analogize to NBA contracts. Idk if i agree that it is a development league, but it is not analogous to players who receive lots of money to stay with a team compared to students who are paid close to nothing in comparison. I think an important point is that these students have unequal bargaining because not only were they not paid, but they couldn't leave.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I guess this is as good as any thread to post this. The NCAA is adjusting the transfer rules. It won't affect first timers, but those making a move a 2nd time will now be affected. (DWBB has a multi-transfer player, I don't know about other sports.)

The NCAA Division I Council approved legislation on Wednesday to limit waivers for second-time transfers. Now, undergraduate players who transfer will have specific guidelines they must meet in order to be eligible for immediate playing time starting with the 2023-24 season or risk sitting out a year in between transfers.
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-portal-usage/

I like this move. It helps ensure that players will have to think twice before jumping ship to another school for a second time. As I stated, we have one player on DWBB (Balogun) that's used this to our benefit, and we lost one big name in football (Chase Brice) to the same. (Not sure "lost" is the apt term there.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I guess this is as good as any thread to post this. The NCAA is adjusting the transfer rules. It won't affect first timers, but those making a move a 2nd time will now be affected. (DWBB has a multi-transfer player, I don't know about other sports.)

I like this move. It helps ensure that players will have to think twice before jumping ship to another school for a second time. As I stated, we have one player on DWBB (Balogun) that's used this to our benefit, and we lost one big name in football (Chase Brice) to the same. (Not sure "lost" is the apt term there.)
    Technically, Grandison is a multi-transfer player (Holy Cross, Illinois, Duke)
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I like the rule as well. It provides a compromise between allowing player freedom while also putting some limits. And coaches are granted at least a small measure of stability knowing that when they accept an incoming transfer they don't immediately have to worry (as much) about the player transfering away the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Technically, Grandison is a multi-transfer player (Holy Cross, Illinois, Duke)
    It looks like grad transfers like Grandison will be exempt from potentially sitting out under the new transfer rules. If that is the case, I suspect the new rules mostly affect players who wish to transfer twice in their first three years in college which is still somewhat rare.

Also in the fact that we have seen several guys (Rasheed Suliamon, Cam Johnson) graduate after 3 seasons in order to be immediately eligible as grad transfers. So, it appears that this rule may be aimed mostly at players who may wish to transfer after their Freshman and Sophomore seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    It looks like grad transfers like Grandison will be exempt from potentially sitting out under the new transfer rules. If that is the case, I suspect the new rules mostly affect players who wish to transfer twice in their first three years in college which is still somewhat rare.

Also in the fact that we have seen several guys (Rasheed Suliamon, Cam Johnson) graduate after 3 seasons in order to be immediately eligible as grad transfers. So, it appears that this rule may be aimed mostly at players who may wish to transfer after their Freshman and Sophomore seasons.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post

Well, you aren't getting a degree in three years if you've transferred once, and with free transfers in play the first time, I don't think many athletes will be accelerating their degrees, so I think you can lump Juniors and anyone with a redshirt in there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

do you get one for free, PLUS the grad transfer, PLUS whatever you can get through this process?
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    do you get one for free, PLUS the grad transfer, PLUS whatever you can get through this process?
    and if you order RIGHT NOW we'll throw in this set of Ginsu knives.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    and if you order RIGHT NOW we'll throw in this set of Ginsu knives.
    Crazy budwom is SLASHING SLASHING SLASHING prices.

Crazy budwom is SLASHING SLASHING SLASHING prices.
    my wife insists I'M INSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    my wife insists I'M INSANE!
    My wife uses another word for me, crazy and I don't think she's talking about the Cameron Crazies either.