Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    My wife uses another word for me, crazy and I don't think she's talking about the Cameron Crazies either.
    I think my wife is complimenting me, but I'm not 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Well, you aren't getting a degree in three years if you've transferred once, and with free transfers in play the first time, I don't think many athletes will be accelerating their degrees, so I think you can lump Juniors and anyone with a redshirt in there, too.
    Good point. I'm no expert, but I can see how it could be difficult to graduate in three years if you have attended two different schools. That being said, I suspect that certain folks might try to find ways around this.

For example, if Jerry Tarkanian were still alive, I suspect he would try to find a way to circumvent this. My favorite Tarkanian story is how he tried to get around the NCAA's scholarship limit by taking advantage of a UNLV program that offered a full academic scholarship to any HS valedictorian. That's thinking outside the box. Even more so when you realize that Tark was advocating on behalf of Clifford Allen. After some "outreach", Tark managed to have Allen classified as the valedictorian of the correctional institute where Allen was serving time when he earned his GED.
    Last edited by House P; 01-12-2023 at 12:49 PM.

Will this impact Ryan Young's options for next year?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Follow-up question

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Good point. I'm no expert, but I can see how it could be difficult to graduate in three years if you have attended two different schools. That being said, I suspect that certain folks might try to find ways around this.

For example, if Jerry Tarkanian were still alive, I suspect he would try to find a way to circumvent this. My favorite Tarkanian story is how he tried to get around the NCAA's scholarship limit by taking advantage of a UNLV program that offered a full academic scholarship to any HS valedictorian. That's thinking outside the box. Even more so when you realize that Tark was advocating on behalf of Clifford Allen. After some "outreach", Tark managed to have Allen classified as the valedictorian of the correctional institute where Allen was serving time when he earned his GED.
    I'm guessing that the NCAA reacted by taking away two scholarships from Youngstown State.
    Last edited by MChambers; 01-12-2023 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fixed "away" (was a way)

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    May just be me, but I don't see any reason for Ryan to transfer this year. We don't really have a 5 next year. Sean Stewart is a 4 and Christian Reeves is very, very raw. If Ryan were to come back, he's the starter. He'll play all the minutes he can take at the 5 for a blue blood.

Now, if he decides to go pro in Europe or start a non-basketball career, then sure. I can see that.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Help Me Understand

Right now college players in football and basketball seem to be able to transfer as many times as they can without sitting out.

JT Daniels went from USC to UGA to West Virginia and now on to Rice. He started his sophomore season at USC but was injured early and sat out the rest. of the season. He was granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA at UGA and I think was immediately eligible at West VA and Rice,.

So is this change reducing the number of transfers without sitting out a year?

If so, I am all for it. Right now it looks to me that in college football every player is a free agent and there is no salary cap on NIL. At least with this change college players who have transferred will not be free agents until they graduate.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    So is this change reducing the number of transfers without sitting out a year?

If so, I am all for it. Right now it looks to me that in college football every player is a free agent and there is no salary cap on NIL. At least with this change college players who have transferred will not be free agents until they graduate.

SoCal
    I'm not sure that limiting your number of "restriction free" transfers to one in for years will do much to change this dynamic.

This brave new world of revenue college sports has a long way to go - the Deon Sanders model seems to be the new standard.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    No. He can transfer again if he wants without sitting out because he'll have earned a degree at the end of the year. So, he's a Grad transfer.