Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Yeah Buzz undoubtedly played a role in this commitment. Hope it works out for him. College Station is a lot further from Richmond than Durham is ... will be interesting to see how this works out for him.
    Seems like a good fit. I’ve never been there but I have friends who go every 2 years to watch the Gamecocks lose. They say football Saturdays are quite the spectacle. And also not too far from Houston, or Yooston as the Texans say. Big change from Duke but I trust that he’ll figure out how to have a good time there.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    And just a finger tip from a third championship.
    A fingernail. Can you imagine? Almost 3 championships in 4 years? He was/is an incredible player and incredible human being!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Is this a joke? Are you kidding?

Kyrie regularly attends Coach K's basketball camps and he often talks in interviews about his Duke love and continued connection to the program. I am certain he, like most of K's former players, speaks often with his former head coach. Oh, and all you need to do is watch the end of this interview to know that Kyrie is very, very much a lifetime member of the Brotherhood.

Brilliant!!!

Kyrie’s recruitment is something I can never forget. It was before I was aware of places like DBR. My D called me one day as the news of some wonder kid recruitment had spread through her dorm at Duke (Alspaugh).
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

I shed a tear that we lost this kid about once a week... grrr.

Henry Coleman has been named as the vice-chair of the SEC Basketball Leadership Council. He was chosen by the Texas A&M team as their rep on the council earlier this year and then chosen by the other council members to be the vice-chair. Henry has basically been at a SEC school for like 2 months and he is already one of the major voices speaking on behalf of the players in the conference.

https://www.secsports.com/article/32...ficers-elected
    The council consists of one male representative and one female representative from each of the SEC's 14 institutions. The goal of the Leadership Council is for student-athletes to serve as a conduit of communication from their teams to the conference office on issues related to student-athlete experience and student-athlete wellness, and to provide feedback on proposed rules governing the SEC and NCAA.
    -Jason "I dunno if he ends up in the NBA or whatever as a basketball player, but I will be stunned if Henry is not a leader in whatever career he takes after leaving school... special kid" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Henry Coleman has been named as the vice-chair of the SEC Basketball Leadership Council. He was chosen by the Texas A&M team as their rep on the council earlier this year and then chosen by the other council members to be the vice-chair. Henry has basically been at a SEC school for like 2 months and he is already one of the major voices speaking on behalf of the players in the conference.

-Jason "I dunno if he ends up in the NBA or whatever as a basketball player, but I will be stunned if Henry is not a leader in whatever career he takes after leaving school... special kid" Evans
    Couldn't agree more. I loved Henry Coleman. I'm sorry he felt he had to leave but I wish him great success, and like you I have confidence he will have it in one field or another.

Yeah, I saw this. Hate that we lost him; he seems like a very bright, thoughtful kid with a real interest in the world and people around him beyond the basketball court.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I loved Henry Coleman. I'm sorry he felt he had to leave but I wish him great success, and like you I have confidence he will have it in one field or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Yeah, I saw this. Hate that we lost him; he seems like a very bright, thoughtful kid with a real interest in the world and people around him beyond the basketball court.
    I am forming the opinion that "transferring" is a contagious phenomenon in college football and basketball. One player leaves, and then others get restless.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Watching him speak at the BLM rally last fall, before he had ever stepped foot on the court for us, and seeing the support that his teammates gave him was a really powerful moment. He seems like an amazing kid off the court. IIRC he was named to some list of top 100 influencial young people in the state of VA. Not athletes, but all people.

Can we talk about what Henry's role would have been had he stayed at Duke?

I know Coleman transferred before we got Theo John but I'm not sure Henry was ever going to be a center at Duke and I sorta think we would have gotten Theo John to be Williams' backup anyway. More to the point, I think PF is Henry's position so he would have been looking at whatever minutes he could get behind Banchero this season. I suspect we would not have gotten Bates Jones, but I don't think Bates is going to have much of an impact in games. I feel like Henry would have been battling with Baker and Griffin for those backup PF minutes (and when Banchero slides over to C). Feels like, at the most, Henry could have gotten 10 minutes per game, perhaps less.

It is harder to project what things would look like for him as a junior (depends upon whether Duke gets Mark Mitchell, a transfer or two, plus whether Baker returns, or possibly even what happens with Moore) but it is possible Henry could have been looking at a decent role on the team at that point. It is also possible he

I just hope he gets to play a lot at A&M. Feels like he is the kind of kid who would value a Duke degree so I hope the step over to TA&M rewards him on the court in a big way.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Henry sounds like a terrific guy...but I don't see where he was going to be a major contributor. Personally, I think we'll miss Brakefield a lot more...I think he'll do really well at Ole Miss.

I know Coleman transferred before we got Theo John...
    Looking back at April ‘21 threads, it appears that Coleman announced his decision to transfer 4 days after John announced his intention to transfer to Duke.

For a few days after John announced, there was quite a bit of chatter about the negative impact of John’s arrival on Coleman’s minutes, and in fact one or maybe a few posters worried about how Coleman would react. I’m not going to tag-quote that thread; anyone interested could look it up.

Can we talk about what Henry's role would have been had he stayed at Duke?…...
    One of his teammates, when asked who was the funniest player on the team, immediately answered “Henry Coleman, without a doubt.” Add his leadership and presence, his role would have been leader of the team.

Of course, it’s hard to be leader from the bench, so maybe it’s best for him to lead while starting, which is a lot more likely at A&M. One imperfect shorthand for talent, high school rankings for his A&M teammates: 0 guys with 5 stars; 3 with 4 stars; 7 with 3 stars; and 2 who’d been unranked. Quite a shift from Duke, where almost all the starters will have been 5 star guys—though our best teams generally had at least one hungry/edgy/leadership upperclassman who missed the McDonald’s game but helped get us into final fours. That coulda been Henry, but probably not for a year or two.
    https://247sports.com/college/texas-...5/#165150605_1

I know Coleman transferred before we got Theo John but I'm not sure Henry was ever going to be a center at Duke and I sorta think we would have gotten Theo John to be Williams' backup anyway. More to the point, I think PF is Henry's position so he would have been looking at whatever minutes he could get behind Banchero this season. I suspect we would not have gotten Bates Jones, but I don't think Bates is going to have much of an impact in games. I feel like Henry would have been battling with Baker and Griffin for those backup PF minutes (and when Banchero slides over to C). Feels like, at the most, Henry could have gotten 10 minutes per game, perhaps less.

It is harder to project what things would look like for him as a junior (depends upon whether Duke gets Mark Mitchell, a transfer or two, plus whether Baker returns, or possibly even what happens with Moore) but it is possible Henry could have been looking at a decent role on the team at that point. It is also possible he

I just hope he gets to play a lot at A&M. Feels like he is the kind of kid who would value a Duke degree so I hope the step over to TA&M rewards him on the court in a big way.
    It's really hard to say, because he played so little for Duke. But with Williams, Banchero, John, and Griffin, I don't really see much room barring injury. I would imagine he'd be another situational reserve, giving us more flexibility to go small but not getting more than 5-10 mpg (if even that much time). And with Filipowski and Lively in the 2022 class, it really didn't feel like there was ever going to be an easy opportunity for him at Duke.

That said, he's a perfect fit for Buzz Williams' philosophy of versatile, physical forwards and wings. Combining that with a less talented roster overall, and I'd expect him to play a lot for the Aggies.

If we hadn't gotten one of Banchero or Griffin, or if Williams had decided to go pro, then maybe Coleman stays and fills a larger role as a key keserve off the bench. But the numbers game just wasn't in his favor here, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    One of his teammates, when asked who was the funniest player on the team, immediately answered “Henry Coleman, without a doubt.” Add his leadership and presence, his role would have been leader of the team.

Of course, it’s hard to be leader from the bench, so maybe it’s best for him to lead while starting, which is a lot more likely at A&M. One imperfect shorthand for talent, high school rankings for his A&M teammates: 0 guys with 5 stars; 3 with 4 stars; 7 with 3 stars; and 2 who’d been unranked. Quite a shift from Duke, where almost all the starters will have been 5 star guys—though our best teams generally had at least one hungry/edgy/leadership upperclassman who missed the McDonald’s game but helped get us into final fours. That coulda been Henry, but probably not for a year or two.
    https://247sports.com/college/texas-...5/#165150605_1
    Great take — totally agree. “A year or two” from now, his leadership might be sorely missed. As someone, somewhere wisely once said, “managing change effectively requires effective leadership” (or something like that).

Uh...not only did he transfer after Theo John but he transferred because of Theo John.