Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Henry Coleman to Texas A&M

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I give up.

Really shouldn't come as a surprise. Good luck to him

I'm distraught over this... I adored that kid.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

That really bums me out.

Okay.

Next play.

What else is there to be said.

I am so bummed out about this.

Darn it. As I said repeatedly, I was optimistic that Coach K discussed the transfer of John with Henry. I guess I can understand wanting the more sure thing in John vs. a development project in Henry, but I was hoping I could have my cake and eat it to. Personally, I'm not sure if I would have taken John if it meant losing Henry, but who knows everything that went into this.

Very frustrating. He seems like a great kid who would have put in the work to develop into a valuable contributor. I remember being so impressed with how he spoke at the rally shortly after arriving at Duke.

Best of luck to him. And so much for the theory that the roster on GoDuke is finalized. Fingers crossed that Mark stays...

RIP multi-year development of promising players.

I definitely would not have taken John if it meant losing Henry. Not in a million years.

This is brutal. I know everyone has said something to this effect, but the annual complete turnover of college rosters is really killing my interest in college basketball.

Two issues to point out here, first we have no confirmation that Theo commitment necessitated Henry's decision.
    Second, this is now the context of college basketball. The parameters have completely changed. Development of players, unfortunately, may become a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    RIP multi-year development of promising players.

I definitely would not have taken John if it meant losing Henry. Not in a million years.
    Coach K philosophy: OAD > multi-year players
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Could this possibly be hinting at something with PBJ? Not that they are mutually exclusive by any means, but...one can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    we have no confirmation that Theo commitment necessitated Henry's decision.
    Steve Wiseman tweeted that "the events of last week played a role."

The "event" of last week was the commitment of Theo John... unless you think Henry was scared off by us bringing in a 10 min/game player from Davidson.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Steve Wiseman tweeted that "the events of last week played a role."

The "event" of last week was the commitment of Theo John... unless you think Henry was scare off by us bringing in a 10 min/game player from Davidson.
    Ok, so then I retract my previous statement lol.

Each year that goes by, I feel more and more grateful to have experienced watching college basketball in the early 90s. The Golden Years. Four years of Christian Laettner is something I'll never forget. Grant Hill. Bobby Hurley. Role players developing around stars. Young fans today just don't know. Okay, I feel really old now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Okay.

Next play.

What else is there to be said.
    Lots could be said, possibly even oodles but discretion is the better part of valor lest one feels the urge to smacked by a banhammer. No ill will toward Henry but I don't see how this current environment is a plus for college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Each year that goes by, I feel more and more grateful to have experienced watching college basketball in the early 90s. The Golden Years. Four years of Christian Laettner is something I'll never forget. Grant Hill. Bobby Hurley. Role players developing around stars. Young fans today just don't know. Okay, I feel really old now.
    You don’t even have to go back that far. Our 2010 champ team was full of multi-year players. Stuff has really changed in the last 6 years or so.

Dang, I absolutely loved the kid, or at least what little I knew of him. I was so impressed when he spoke at the BLM rally on campus last summer, stepping up in front of his teammates as an unknown freshman. In his zoom calls he would quote Henry David Thoreau. And when he committed to Duke he sounded like he was all in on the program. On the court though, this transfer is hardly surprising. He's an undersized big, strong but not athletic and was unlikely to ever get regular rotation minutes behind our revolving door of OAD's. As a fan I would love to have him come off the bench for four years, but you can't blame him for pursuing more.

As far as John, I know that some have said that K must have discussed it with Coleman but it's not like he's going to ask for permission. The staff made the decision to pursue John and bring him in, and Coleman had to decide what to do in turn.

Henry Coleman is exactly the type of person I want in the Duke BB Program. This is devastating.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide