Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    @NdotSmitty, 44m
    Accountability.

The replies to this tweet are pretty classic.
    might this be with regard to the Chauvin case?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    might this be with regard to the Chauvin case?
    Almost definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    In your hypothetical, that other player who didn't initially get an offer could transfer to Duke and take the spot of the other guy who just transferred away.

Free transfers certainly decrease roster stability and take a lot of control away from coaches, but it's hard to spin this as anything other than "pro player."
    Sure, but that other player has now joined a roster, settled into school, and is now in a position where transferring in is much more difficult than committing in the first place.

What will likely end up happening, and this will also be anti-player, is that top programs will be much less likely to take "risks" on kids with backgrounds suggesting they might transfer. If you're recruiting depth, the difference between someone ranked 75th and 150th is probably not that high. It's much easier to take the kid with two parents, money, and a realistic future plan. Meanwhile, a fringe professional dreaming of making it big is basically never worth an offer. By the time they've developed enough to play major minutes, they'll have long since transferred.

I see the recruitment for John as Coach K being highly ticked off at the performance of this years team or like some have mentioned, he may be calling it quits after next season. Heck, he didn't even name one Captain last year.
    However I hate to see Coleman leave. Not because I think he's going to be a star but because he seemed like the ideal Duke guy. I don't blame him one bit for transferring and I will root for him wherever he goes. I hope T. John turns out to be a better player than Tapé. If he doesn't it will be a bad trade off. Man, that's two of my favorite players gone from last season(Coleman and DJ).

GoDuke!

^ I'm missing Brakefield already as well...

I wonder if Coleman got some inside info on Baldwin deciding to come to Duke? Doubt it but you never know!

^ I'm missing Brakefield already as well...
    Some of us Duke fans have been truly blessed to have seen some great players stay for 4 years and those players produced some great teams. I don't think we'll ever see anything similar to that era. It looks like teams will be built on transfers and a few top ten high school players.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    I wonder if Coleman got some inside info on Baldwin deciding to come to Duke? Doubt it but you never know!
    If PBJ comes, I expect one of Wendell, AJ, or Mark to not be here next season.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Some of us Duke fans have been truly blessed to have seen some great players stay for 4 years and those players produced some great teams. I don't think we'll ever see anything similar to that era. It looks like teams will be built on transfers and a few top ten high school players.

GoDuke!
    Yes, that certainly appears to be the direction college basketball is heading. It's probably a very big part of why Roy Williams retired; his model of college bball is just not the way it is going to work anymore.

I think we'll see a bit more stability moving forward once everyone is back to "normal" school years and in-person activities. But I doubt it ever goes back to the way it was even 5 years ago again without some major revamping. And, honestly, it seems a bit unfair to the kids to restrict them to a decision made at 18 in ways that most of their peers aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    If PBJ comes, I expect one of Wendell, AJ, or Mark to not be here next season.
    gee, we only have eight guys as of now including Theo, right?

gee, we only have eight guys as of now including Theo, right?

Mark
    Paolo
    Theo
    AJ
    Wendell
    Joey
    Trevor
    Jeremy
    Jaylen

Obviously of Bates / Keenan need to be a part of the blue team during practice.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm distraught over this... I adored that kid.
    He was my new favorite. Dammit.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post

Mark
    Paolo
    Theo
    AJ
    Wendell
    Joey
    Trevor
    Jeremy
    Jaylen

Obviously of Bates / Keenan need to be a part of the blue team during practice.
    ah, forgot about Jaylen...though I don't think he's likely to be a rotation player yet...

I was convinced Coleman could be a 4 year guy, become a captain, and then pivot to a lucrative and long lasting career in finance or something.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

ah, forgot about Jaylen...though I don't think he's likely to be a rotation player yet...
    I would expect Blakes to play in the 5-10 mpg range next year. The 10th spot is definitely a bit rough now with Jones, but I'd consider Blakes to be a very solid fit as a/the backup PG.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    You're probably right, I guess. Obviously, the staff thinks so or they wouldn't have done it, and they're far more expert than I am.

I admit I've never seen Theo John play (or at least I've never noticed him on the rare occasion I saw a few minutes of Marquette on TV), but his advanced stats aren't particularly good (except for blocks) and Henry's are better (admittedly in a small sample). Plus, from the dreaded eye test, I thought Henry looked pretty good when he got the opportunity (which, to me, backs up the limited sample stats). Alas, nothing any of us can do about it now.
    In all honesty, I think the sample size from Henry last year was far too limited (95 total minutes across 19 games) to draw any real conclusions. His statistical profile was really skewed by only two games with extended minutes (home vs UNC, an admittedly solid performance, and vs BC in the ACCT, most coming well after that game was competitive). Across the full season, to these eyes, most of the impact Henry did have seemed to be of the hustle and effort variety, rather than skills or athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    I was convinced Coleman could be a 4 year guy, become a captain, and then pivot to a lucrative and long lasting career in finance or something.
    The smartest people in the world is sometimes the hardest to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    4 of the 6 recruits from last year are gone.
    I hope that the new reality is not, Wow, two guys are coming back!

It is particularly difficult because Duke is such a special place for us, but obviously not for the players. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Because many/most of us are interested in winning titles BECAUSE we are invested in the players. If I wanted to watch a bunch of mercenaries, I could watch far higher quality at the NBA level than we get in college.
    Our fandom is different and the way it manifests itself is different then and its ok.

I'm Duke first and I care about the program's success and longevity first and foremost. I will cheer for anyone who puts on or has put on a Duke uniform as long as they represented our program well in their time in Durham but I ultimately don't mind if the staff recruits over a player who they think is a better fit or simply more talented.

Minutes and playing time aren't promised, they have to be earned.

My favorite Blue Devils are the ones who had to experience adversity first and then ended up champions as well. There's something special about our 2010 championship team that will stay with me forever.

We need to adapt or we"ll be left behind. This is the new landscape of college basketball though and we need to get used to it.

I think it could really help Duke out given our brand and position in the sport but we just have to embrace the fact that we won't see a bright-eyed bushy tailed freshman player turn into a tough-nosed superstar senior player and have his jersey up in the rafters upon graduation anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post

GoDuke!
    All true. And we will continue to see an ever-dwindling number of college basketball fans because of it.