Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Welcome to Duke, Jaylen Blakes!

"This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I really like this kid! PBJ would be nice, but I believe we are all set for our Championship run now.

Most excellent. We lost one JB when Jaemyn left, but now we have a new one with Jaylen.

I'm excited to see what he looks like in game action. He is said to be quick end-to-end, has great length, and can shoot the ball. I suspect as a PG his handles aren't there yet or else he would be much higher rated. Hopefully, he progresses in his time at Duke and blossoms into a fine player.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I’m very excited for this young man. By all accounts he has the intangibles of a JG or Tyler Thornton, but as a borderline Top 100, 4* recruit he projects as having a higher ceiling than those guys. He could be the type of 3/4 year player that we’ve been hungering for for a while, and at arguably the most important position in the college game.

I think we’ve got our squad for next year, and I’m excited.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I agree with everyone else that our team is now set for a solid run next season! I hope all the other teams, especially those in the ACC, got their kicks out last year. Because Duke is back!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue666s View Post
    I really like this kid! PBJ would be nice, but I believe we are all set for our Championship run now.
    Seems like a great kid. I second this sentiment.

Nice. Great news.

Roster is all set. Don't need anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Nice. Great news.

Roster is all set. Don't need anyone else.
    Definitely solid team- but if a Zion Williamson emerges from Europe- I think K will find a spot for him.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I’m very excited for this young man. By all accounts he has the intangibles of a JG or Tyler Thornton, but as a borderline Top 100, 4* recruit he projects as having a higher ceiling than those guys. He could be the type of 3/4 year player that we’ve been hungering for for a while, and at arguably the most important position in the college game.

I think we’ve got our squad for next year, and I’m excited.
    Many of his highlights are of him shooting deep threes. I am not a fan of his posing after shots but his shooing form is consistent. Anyone know his FT percentage?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Many of his highlights are of him shooting deep threes. I am not a fan of his posing after shots but his shooing form is consistent. Anyone know his FT percentage?
    I think he poses on a higher % of FTs than 3s
    1200. DDMF.

John, Williams, Blakes....too many first names in last names! I won't have it!
    1200. DDMF.

Welcome Jaylen!

The roster should be set and appears familiar to the rosters in the last couple seasons in terms of inexperience playing together and youth:

4 freshmen, 3 sophomores, 3 juniors (2 of which are walk ons), 2 seniors (one of which has never played a game for Duke or in the ACC). I know youth and inexperience last year was referenced to mitigate some of Duke’s losses so let’s hope we can be virtually totally out of this pandemic and it’s restrictions by the time practice starts later this year. This team has talent for sure but is still mighty young and inexperienced playing together.

Let’s Go Duke!

Welcome aboard Jaylen. Nice to have another guard in the mix. This team seems set. Good news!

He’ll provide great value in practice as someone for Roach to go up against, much like John will do for Williams. Our five on fives will be pretty balanced now at least on paper. And we have some insurance in case of injury, plus a guy who projects as a multi year player who will steady things at point. Altogether a perfect pickup!

Kudos to the staff for rounding out the roster with these two additions. We didn’t need another starter-level player to compete with our existing rotation (and honestly we probably weren’t going to get one) but we did need complementary pieces and that’s what we got. I can’t imagine how stressful these last few weeks have been between players leaving, players entering the portal, evaluating players out of the portal, re-recruiting our existing roster, etc. Losing Steward and Brakefield was unexpected but the staff pivoted in a phenomenal way.

welcome to the party, pal !!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    He’ll provide great value in practice as someone for Roach to go up against, much like John will do for Williams. Our five on fives will be pretty balanced now at least on paper. And we have some insurance in case of injury, plus a guy who projects as a multi year player who will steady things at point. Altogether a perfect pickup!

Kudos to the staff for rounding out the roster with these two additions. We didn’t need another starter-level player to compete with our existing rotation (and honestly we probably weren’t going to get one) but we did need complementary pieces and that’s what we got. I can’t imagine how stressful these last few weeks have been between players leaving, players entering the portal, evaluating players out of the portal, re-recruiting our existing roster, etc. Losing Steward and Brakefield was unexpected but the staff pivoted in a phenomenal way.

Agreed! Practices should be pretty competitive. That's a pretty good second five (assuming Moore/Keels are interchangeable as starter vs. 6th man)

Roach vs. Blakes
    Moore vs. Baker
    Griffin vs. Keels
    Banchero vs. Coleman
    Williams vs. John

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Agreed! Practices should be pretty competitive. That's a pretty good second five (assuming Moore/Keels are interchangeable as starter vs. 6th man)

Roach vs. Blakes
    Moore vs. Baker
    Griffin vs. Keels
    Banchero vs. Coleman
    Williams vs. John
    The 2nd unit is more talented than most starting lineups in the ACC. We are truly blessed.

Great (late) get and glad the roster is set...and a very solid roster at that.

Obviously hard to discern much from highlight clips but the young man does seem to have a functional three point shot....otherwise I'm not sure the coaches at the Blair Academy would continuously allow him to heave Steph Curry like bombs game after game.

And I suspect this might be his biggest asset in the limited minutes he'll see next year. With the front court we'll field next year I would imagine our guards will have ample opportunity to make some open threes...let's just hope they do it.