Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue666s View Post
    An interesting comment to this news on Twitter:

The 2nd coming of Demarcus Nelson.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Hopefully without the injuries. That would be a really good get.

Demarcus Nelson played 4 inches taller than he was.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Yeah, I recall DeMarcus guarding opposing PFs and Cs quite a bit...I doubt we're going to ask Blakes to do that. But if he's a versatile defender because of his length, certainly that will be hugely beneficial. On a sidenote, I hadn't realized DeMarcus got Serbian citizenship (back in 2012).

Welcome Jaylen!! Definitely glad for this pick-up. A solid PG for 3-4 years is always nice to have and seems like a high character guy with a bunch of potential.

The 2nd unit is more talented than most starting lineups in the ACC.
    No, it isn't. Not even close.

The 2nd unit is more talented than most starting lineups in the ACC. We are truly blessed.
    I would be happy if the first team was more talented than most starting lineups. The second team is not.

IIRC according to the NBA he was 6 feet tall. He certainly didn’t mind guarding taller guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    the new shiny effect on this board is incredible. These are decent players, no doubt, but they're not starters right now on most ACC squads, and borderline out of the rotation on a Duke team that everyone seems to think is a top-5 national squad...
    1200. DDMF.

Clarification, strictly speaking from recruiting scores.

The 2nd unit is more talented than most starting lineups in the ACC. We are truly blessed.
    I wouldn't go nearly that far.. That second unit would win a few games at most. Just recall last year w Hurt and Roach and Steward -that was a .500 team

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    I wouldn't go nearly that far.. That second unit would win a few games at most. Just recall last year w Hurt and Roach and Steward -that was a .500 team
    Yeah, I'm going to get whiplash from the yo-yo attitudes on this forum.

Does everyone remember how disappointing last season was and how we eked out an over .500 record?

I'm all about optimism, but I want to see us play Gonzaga before we start making proclamations about how our bench can beat someone's (anyone's) starters.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    He’ll provide great value in practice as someone for Roach to go up against, much like John will do for Williams. Our five on fives will be pretty balanced now at least on paper. And we have some insurance in case of injury, plus a guy who projects as a multi year player who will steady things at point. Altogether a perfect pickup!

Kudos to the staff for rounding out the roster with these two additions. We didn’t need another starter-level player to compete with our existing rotation (and honestly we probably weren’t going to get one) but we did need complementary pieces and that’s what we got. I can’t imagine how stressful these last few weeks have been between players leaving, players entering the portal, evaluating players out of the portal, re-recruiting our existing roster, etc. Losing Steward and Brakefield was unexpected but the staff pivoted in a phenomenal way.

Excellent job by the staff of filling out the roster with Theo John and Jaylen Blakes. Each fill a need for backup in case of foul trouble, injury or illness. Having quality practice players will help as well. Welcome to Jaylen.

Clarification, strictly speaking from recruiting scores.
    Yeah, if we base it purely on recruiting rankings, it probably IS better than many if not most ACC starting lineups. A top-25, two top-50s, a fringe top-100, and a top-200.

In terms of performance? Probably only two are ACC starter worthy.

Regardless, I am quite pleased with the recent additions. We now have the practice depth, backup PG, and some more physicality to work with.

Depth!

I like the depth that the team will have next season. Using the OP list of bench players:

Blakes(PG) a 4 star who might be a 4 year player. He has good size and from the videos he probably won't have a big problem with the added distance on his three point shots. He also seems like a kid that has confidence and good basketball IQ. I don't expect him to be a starter but he should give Roach some rest when needed.

Baker(SG) improved his defense this past season and it seemed to affect his shooting early on. He's a hustler and team first guy. I hoping for bigger things from him this season. Even though his minutes may not increase unless he begins the year hot from three point land.

Keels(SF) a five star who was considered a very good shooter in high school. I don't know if the added distance will affect his three point shot. I have not seen enough video on his range. If he can keep defenses honest by making those 3s it can open up things for Banchero, Griffin and Williams. He has a good opportunity for getting good minutes. It's going to be interesting to see how he competes with Griffin and Baker.

Coleman(PF) looked to be a stud that won't back down against anyone. I think he has a chance to become one of Duke's top defenders. His minutes will be determined on how much he improves on offense. I really like his attitude and I hope he gets enough minutes to not even think about the transfer portal.

John(C) will be important in backing up Williams and should be an improvement over Tapé. I'll go out on a limb and say he will be an improvement over Tapé. He adds size and looks to be a good athlete. He certainly seems to be good defender but may need improvement on defensive rebounding.

I think maybe Keels and John might start on some of the other ACC teams and Joey might be a 6th man(first off the bench) with a team that really needs a 3 point shooter.

I love the potential of Blakes, Keels and Coleman. I hope they're around for at least 3 years.

GoDuke!

Hey

It is April. Not in December-March, however.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, if we base it purely on recruiting rankings, it probably IS better than many if not most ACC starting lineups. A top-25, two top-50s, a fringe top-100, and a top-200.

In terms of performance? Probably only two are ACC starter worthy.

Regardless, I am quite pleased with the recent additions. We now have the practice depth, backup PG, and some more physicality to work with.
    Moreover, moreover, moreover -- given the basketball disaster by Duke standards this year, isn't it hubris to be musing about the strength of our second team in 2021-22? We need to have the first team win most of its games in the upcoming season. Boy, would that be an improvement!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Welcome Jaylen! LGD GTHcGTH!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    John, Williams, Blakes...too many first names in last names! I won't have it!
    I dunno, some literary giants there. I propose a quiet reading of the Lake district poets at next years CTC. CBB can paint the team portrait and we can all bask in the glow of utter civility.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 04-20-2021 at 09:23 AM. Reason: a low bow to Maj. Charles Emerson Winchester. RIP Chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Agreed! Practices should be pretty competitive. That's a pretty good second five (assuming Moore/Keels are interchangeable as starter vs. 6th man)

Roach vs. Blakes
    Moore vs. Baker
    Griffin vs. Keels
    Banchero vs. Coleman
    Williams vs. John
    So let me be the first to start the minutes discussion...after adding one player

B. Jones 1- 39
    Roach 1- 39
    Blakes 1- 39
    Moore 1- 39
    Baker 1- 39
    Griffin 1- 39
    Keels 1- 39
    Banchero 1- 39
    Coleman 1- 39
    Willams 1- 39
    John 1- 39

I am very non-committal today.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    IIRC according to the NBA he was 6 feet tall. He certainly didn’t mind guarding taller guys.
    I know this is unrelated, but can't help but re-share Demarcus's place in NBA history: he was the first (and to my knowledge, remains the only) undrafted player to start on opening night as a rookie.