Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    ESPN's Adam Finkelstein has a short clip and write up of Jaylen Blakes that I came across. Click the link to see the video.

https://twitter.com/AdamFinkelstein/...81205361704965

Jaylen Blakes has proven his doubters wrong at every step of his career thus far. He will have an opportunity to do that again at Duke.

The ESPN 100 guard is long, strong, competitive, and one of the better perimeter defenders in the class.
    I enjoyed all of that.

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    ESPN's Adam Finkelstein has a short clip and write up of Jaylen Blakes that I came across. Click the link to see the video.

https://twitter.com/AdamFinkelstein/...81205361704965

I enjoyed all of that.
    If he's really a strong perimeter defender, he'll get some minutes.

Sounds like exactly the kind of player we need in 2022.

...and 2023, 2024, 2025...

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    Sounds like exactly the kind of player we need in 2022.

...and 2023, 2024, 2025...
    Well, I hardly think we need 4 multi-year, defensive-minded PGs on the roster at one time, but I think I get your drift
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Interesting. If he's a great defender with those measurements and shooting ability, what does your friend think is holding him back from being a top prospect?
    I think the idea (reflected also in Jason Evans' awesome interview with Joe Mantegna) is that (1) his shooting is good but not elite (35% in high school and at 6'2 he's not shooting over guys and doesn't have a lightning quick release) and (2) though he's plenty athletic, he's not really an above-the-rim type of player. So I don't know that he has an NBA-level "tool" now, and may be more of a program guy with the potential to play in Europe. But who knows? He sounds like a hard worker, and hopefully he sticks around.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, I hardly think we need 4 multi-year, defensive-minded PGs on the roster at one time, but I think I get your drift
    From whence did you get the impression s/he was arguing for having four Jaylen Blakes on each of these four rosters?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    From whence did you get the impression s/he was arguing for having four Jaylen Blakes on each of these four rosters?
    You know what, in re-reading what he wrote I could have misunderstood. You may be right that rather than arguing for Duke to recruit more of the same player, he was saying he looked forward to having Blakes for the next 4 season. My bad.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Here's the official media release.

https://goduke.com/news/2021/4/27/ja...asketball.aspx

doesn't the "whence" imply the "from?"
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    doesn't the "whence" imply the "from?"
    "From whence" is a typical and valid construction (used, e.g., in Dickens' A Christmas Carol, among other famous works by famous authors). "Whence" by itself is also valid.

And yes, I'm intentionally sticking with the trailing apostrophe for the possessive, much to the chagrin of punctuation purists in that other thread. (Or was it earlier in this thread? <shrug>) I've never heard anyone actually say "Dickens's", so I won't write it that way, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    "From whence" is a typical and valid construction (used, e.g., in Dickens' A Christmas Carol, among other famous works by famous authors). "Whence" by itself is also valid.

And yes, I'm intentionally sticking with the trailing apostrophe for the possessive, much to the chagrin of punctuation purists in that other thread. (Or was it earlier in this thread? <shrug>) I've never heard anyone actually say "Dickens's", so I won't write it that way, either.
    If it's good enough for Dickens, it's good enough for me.

If it's good enough for Dickens, it's good enough for me.
    TIL. thanks. I refuse to give up the fight on the singular form of "data," though.
    April 1

TIL. thanks. I refuse to give up the fight on the singular form of "data," though.
    If it makes you happy, that seems like a wonderful agendum.

Huh

You mean "data point"?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    You mean "data point"?
    "the data shows that uh_no is always correct" vs "the data show that uh_no is always correct"

The second one is "technically" correct...though ducking before throaty comes in with language prescriptivism
    April 1

If it makes you happy, that seems like a wonderful agendum.
    Whoa. Mind blown.

"the data shows that uh_no is always correct" vs "the data show that uh_no is always correct"

The second one is "technically" correct...though ducking before throaty comes in with language prescriptivism
    This is literally true.

This is literally true.
    at least on the conjugation of the examples. I can't speak to the validity of their content, though
    April 1

Andre Dawkins has been interviewing the incoming freshman on his podcast, Dawkins on Duke. In the most recent edition, he sits down with Jaylen Blakes. The story is kind of incredible, because it was Blakes's high school coach that initiated this process that led to Blakes committing to Duke. For Blakes, being patient paid off. He was attracted to the academics, the basketball program itself, and alumni network.

It was good enough for Tolkein: "...(the Ring) must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came.”