Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Plus the family is prosperous (father is a well-established Gastroenterologist in the Tidewater VA area), committed to education, and loves Duke.
    Big Sis said she plans to go to med school after her pro career is over. Hopefully, she's the next Georgia Schweitzer. Mark may well be wanting to walk the same path.

For what it's worth -- I don't see Mark's current game as a good fit with the NBA. Is there a slender 7-footer playing almost entirely near the basket who is currently successful in the league?

He needs additional development in terms of weight, strength, and shooting range. Yeah, he could get that in the G-League, but he can also develop at Duke while enjoying his teammates and the college experience.

It would be nice to hear an announcement from Mark, but I think his leaving is very unlikely.

For what it's worth -- I don't see Mark's current game as a good fit with the NBA. Is there a slender 7-footer playing almost entirely near the basket who is currently successful in the league?
    Gobert?

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Gobert?
    Gobert is a physically developed 28-year old player who is listed at 7'1" and 258 pounds.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...goberru01.html

Gobert is a physically developed 28-year old player who is listed at 7'1" and 258 pounds.

Give Mark time. He has the potential to fill out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Give Mark time. He has the potential to fill out a bit.
    Well, certainly.

The question is whether turning pro now is likely or a good decision.

Well, certainly.

The question is whether turning pro now is likely or a good decision.
    But... potential.

That being said, I really want to see Mark another year in college. I really like his game and really like him.

Mark is currently listed at 243 (which admittedly seems a bit high). I think there is a place for him in the NBA and a team that is willing to invest the time and energy to develop him could have a great player on their hands. Hopefully for Duke that won't be next year. I'm not an NBA expert but another potential comp is Mitchell Robinson, who is almost the exact same build.

I think the teams that succeed in the NBA don't limit themselves to finding what the consensus says is the "NBA type of player" for 2021 but rather can think outside the box and to the long term.

Of course, I'm the guy who still longs for the day where great college players generally translated directly to great NBA players, players were drafted on accomplishments rather than potential, and back-to-the-basket centers actually had some value (long live Patrick Ewing).

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Mark is currently listed at 243 (which admittedly seems a bit high). I think there is a place for him in the NBA and a team that is willing to invest the time and energy to develop him could have a great player on their hands. Hopefully for Duke that won't be next year. I'm not an NBA expert but another potential comp is Mitchell Robinson, who is almost the exact same build.

I think the teams that succeed in the NBA don't limit themselves to finding what the consensus says is the "NBA type of player" for 2021 but rather can think outside the box and to the long term.

Of course, I'm the guy who still longs for the day where great college players generally translated directly to great NBA players, players were drafted on accomplishments rather than potential, and back-to-the-basket centers actually had some value (long live Patrick Ewing).
    Absolutely. If Mark Williams goes pro, he'll be selected in the first round/early second round.

But he could stick around and easily become a lottery pick next year. If he bulks up and works on his FT shooting (which would allow him to show mid-range upside), he's fixed two of his biggest weaknesses.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Yea, all this is is speculation that he SEEMS to be written down as on the roster. As crazy as this off season moving about of players has been, I’ll believe it when I see him in a Duke uniform in the fall. And I hope he is back because he is going to be crazy good next season🤞

Couple of guys that fit Mark's build:
    Rudy Gobert
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Myles Turner (much more perimeter oriented on offense, but he's defensively quite similar)
    Jarrett Allen
    Ivica Zubac
    Moses Brown
    Jaxson Hayes
    Mitchell Robinson

Among others

There are a lot of guys that have a similar frame to Mark Williams, or at least they did when they were drafted.

I think we all agree that Mark needs to physically develop and that his game has potential to put him in the 1st round of the NBA conversation. As is, he's a shot blocking presence and vertical spacer with good lateral quickness and passing vision for his height/length. If he becomes an elite defender and the jumper shows promise, I could see him being a mid-to-late lottery pick. While the game is trending towards small ball, there is still incredible value in having a rim protector that can do a few things on offense.

This is fantastic news!

I know his family puts a very strong emphasis on academics and Elizabeth values her Duke education. That probably played a role.

He's gonna feast on the ACC next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

Thanks for the current research on Mark's weight; yeah, surprising based on watching him this past season.

Sure do want to see him playing for Duke this coming season, but I'll refrain from further comment until the roster becomes settled.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    This is fantastic news!

I know his family puts a very strong emphasis on academics and Elizabeth values her Duke education. That probably played a role.

He's gonna feast on the ACC next year.
    Had Elizabeth Williams been born a man, the value she puts on her Duke education may not have been quite so high.

This has absolutely no bearing on Mark's decision, IMO.

If Mark comes back this year, we are lucky, but otherwise he will be gone next spring.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Couple of guys that fit Mark's build:
    Rudy Gobert
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Myles Turner (much more perimeter oriented on offense, but he's defensively quite similar)
    Jarrett Allen
    Ivica Zubac
    Moses Brown
    Jaxson Hayes
    Mitchell Robinson

Among others

There are a lot of guys that have a similar frame to Mark Williams, or at least they did when they were drafted.

I think we all agree that Mark needs to physically develop and that his game has potential to put him in the 1st round of the NBA conversation. As is, he's a shot blocking presence and vertical spacer with good lateral quickness and passing vision for his height/length. If he becomes an elite defender and the jumper shows promise, I could see him being a mid-to-late lottery pick. While the game is trending towards small ball, there is still incredible value in having a rim protector that can do a few things on offense.
    What I saw in the last month he played at Duke was similar to what I saw from Joel Embiid in his last month at KU before he got injured. Their advanced stats were off the chart and both simply popped off the screen.

I'm bullish that Mark get develop a 3 point shot too.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    What I saw in the last month he played at Duke was similar to what I saw from Joel Embiid in his last month at KU before he got injured. Their advanced stats were off the chart and both simply popped off the screen.

I'm bullish that Mark get develop a 3 point shot too.
    3 point shot? That might be a touch ambitious. But I'm bullish he can develop a mid-range face-up game and drastically improve his FT shooting in Year 2... he showed flashes of an ability to make open pull up jumpers when dared to down the stretch last year. A 3 point shot would be the bonus of all bonuses and could make him an All-America level talent.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Big Sis said she plans to go to med school after her pro career is over. Hopefully, she's the next Georgia Schweitzer. Mark may well be wanting to walk the same path.
    Mark can be the next Albert Schweitzer.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    3 point shot? That might be a touch ambitious. But I'm bullish he can develop a mid-range face-up game and drastically improve his FT shooting in Year 2... he showed flashes of an ability to make open pull up jumpers when dared to down the stretch last year. A 3 point shot would be the bonus of all bonuses and could make him an All-America level talent.
    I'm sure he's working on it. He said he wanted to come to Duke to play like Wendell Carter.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Had Elizabeth Williams been born a man, the value she puts on her Duke education may not have been quite so high.

This has absolutely no bearing on Mark's decision, IMO.

If Mark comes back this year, we are lucky, but otherwise he will be gone next spring.
    I agree that we will be lucky if Mark stays for long (although at this point I think him staying for the 21-22 year is more likely than not). However, I don't agree with your first two sentences. The point about Elizabeth is that she and her family value education highly. That attitude has a bearing on Mark's decision, even if it may not be dispositive. It's the relative value of the education compared to other alternatives that differs, not the absolute value.

I don't think that's just a semantic distinction, even though it leads to roughly the same conclusion.

Even if he leaves early, it would not surprise me to see Mark come back to Duke to finish his undergrad work and potentially get an advanced degree. Which won't help us as fans of the team, of course.
    Last edited by Phredd3; 04-19-2021 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks for the current research on Mark's weight; yeah, surprising based on watching him this past season.

Sure do want to see him playing for Duke this coming season, but I'll refrain from further comment until the roster becomes settled.
    You can be any weight you want on a Duke hoop roster, this much I've learned...(e.g. K's comments on weight gains, which he makes on occasion, rarely line up with the year to year roster weights...they seem to be aspirations more than actual measurements).