Is this the right list of roster so far?

Jeremy Roach – sophm PG

Trevor Keels - Fr 2 SG

Wendell Moore, – Junr 3 SF
    Adrian 'A.J.' Griffin. – Fr 3 SF
    Joey Baker – Snr 2/3

Henry Coleman III – Soph 4
    Theo John - Athletic Grad transfer Marquette as 4
    Bates Jones - 6’8” 225 F Grad transfer from Davidson as 4

Mark Williams – Sop 5
    Paolo Banchero(LOI) - Fr top 10 at the 5

is that right? If so I still think we are clearly a guard short... esp someone who can handle the ball !

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Jeremy Roach – sophm PG

Trevor Keels - Fr 2 SG

Joey Baker – Snr 2/3

Mark Williams – Sop 5

is that right? If so I still think we are clearly a guard short... esp someone who can handle the ball !
    Jaylen Blakes will fill that void. We're close to getting a commitment from him.

Jeremy Roach – sophm PG

Trevor Keels - Fr 2 SG

Joey Baker – Snr 2/3

Mark Williams – Sop 5

I think most here consider Theo John as backup 5 to Williams, and Banchero as a 4, not 5. As for Moore and Griffin, they are generally thought to be able to play 2 through 4, with Moore mostly a 2, Griffin mostly a 3. But as 2s and 3s are often labeled “wings,” they’re probably interchangeable. Baker seems strictly a wing 3, unlikely to guard smaller, quicker opposing 2s, and unlikely to be needed to move up to guard stronger 4s, as we now seem to have good depth at the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Jaylen Blakes will fill that void. We're close to getting a commitment from him.
    Here are links to a couple Blakes recruitment articles:

https://accsports.com/acc-news/duke-...jaylen-blakes/

https://www.zagsblog.com/2021/04/12/...jaylen-blakes/

In article below, Blair Academy Coach Joe Mantegna has strong words about Blakes:

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2021...jaylen-blakes/

“He is an elite shooter, he is an elite free-throw shooter, he is a multi-positional defender, he is a winner, and he is an unbelievable character kid.”
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Here are links to a couple Blakes recruitment articles:

https://accsports.com/acc-news/duke-...jaylen-blakes/

https://www.zagsblog.com/2021/04/12/...jaylen-blakes/

In article below, Blair Academy Coach Joe Mantegna has strong words about Blakes:

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2021...jaylen-blakes/

“He is an elite shooter, he is an elite free-throw shooter, he is a multi-positional defender, he is a winner, and he is an unbelievable character kid.”
    Blakes has the ability to finish with either hand, he is fully capable of dunking and has range on his shot. He is quick and dribbles the ball low when in traffic which should allow for good ball security. He seems to like the step back jumper. One thing in question is the release point on his shot, which is in front and at about head level. Will it work at the Div 1 level?

Jeremy Roach – sophm PG

Trevor Keels - Fr 2 SG

Joey Baker – Snr 2/3

Mark Williams – Sop 5

Looks good to me along with Michael Savarino and Keenan Worthington (both likely won’t get many minutes but still part of the team and get to wear the uniform).

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Looks good to me along with Michael Savarino and Keenan Worthington (both likely won’t get many minutes but still part of the team and get to wear the uniform).
    Team needs another solid ball handler and a unicorn 6’ 3”kid dead eye shooter that will redshirt and grow 7 inches and gain 30lbs during the next three years.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Team needs another solid ball handler and a unicorn 6’ 3”kid dead eye shooter that will redshirt and grow 7 inches and gain 30lbs during the next three years.
    Under the NBA radar, of course.

I think the roster is pretty perfect, assuming we land Blakes. We have at least two high level guys who can play every position (some guys can play more than one). Good mix of elite freshmen and quality veterans. I know some are concerned about three point shooting but we can’t expect every player to be an elite athlete, excellent defender, and knock down shooter all at the same time. I expect Moore to be a captain and possibly Baker as well.

My prediction is that Keels comes off the bench but the top six all play starters minutes. Blakes and Baker compete for guard bench minutes while Coleman and John compete for big man bench minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think the roster is pretty perfect, assuming we land Blakes. We have at least two high level guys who can play every position (some guys can play more than one). Good mix of elite freshmen and quality veterans. I know some are concerned about three point shooting but we can’t expect every player to be an elite athlete, excellent defender, and knock down shooter all at the same time. I expect Moore to be a captain and possibly Baker as well.

My prediction is that Keels comes off the bench but the top six all play starters minutes. Blakes and Baker compete for guard bench minutes while Coleman and John compete for big man bench minutes.
    I'm'll cosign this. If we land Blakes and don't lose any others, it has the makings of a VERY strong team with few weaknesses. We will have defensive versatility to play big or small. We'll have a combination of elite talent with veteran experience. As you mentioned, we'll be 2-deep everywhere. None of our key players should be noted offensive or defensive liabilities. We'll have fantastic length and athleticism, and as such should have a VERY good defense. And you know that by hook or by crook we'll have a terrific offense (we haven't been outside the top-20 in offense since 2007, and prior to that it was at least 1997 since our offense wasn't top-20 before that).

Blakes is ranked as the #102 recruit and we are counting on him to complete the team? Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Blakes is ranked as the #102 recruit and we are counting on him to complete the team? Am I missing something here?
    He would be a backup PG. Something this team currently doesn’t have.

Looks right to me. One thing I don't seem to understand though is joey baker. he seems like a great kid and I didn't become a duke fan until this year, so i didn't see much of him before, but im kind of confused at how much playing time and deference he gets from some people. He seems like a great kid and leader and it's cool he's local, but he didn't look like he could guard or handle the ball. People seem to regard him as a shooter but he didn't seem to shoot well either. For reference his stats from this last season were:

31% from the field
    31% from 3pt
    9 total assists to 18 turnovers for a ratio of 1:2
    AVG 1 rebound per game,
    and 3 points.
    12 mins per game

If I'm henry coleman (played avg 5 mins per game) I'd honestly be a little confused at the disparities there. a 6'6 player playing that much and not rebounding seems odd especially if he plays more cause his shooting? And when Henry Coleman is 6'7?

Idk Joey just seems like a mystery to me cause he appears to be a favorite for many people but as a new fan i thought he seemed a little underwhelming and some of his minutes should have been allocated elsewhere. I get though that he probably adds a lot of value off the floor and in practice being a captain and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    Idk Joey just seems like a mystery to me cause he appears to be a favorite for many people but as a new fan i thought he seemed a little underwhelming and some of his minutes should have been allocated elsewhere. I get though that he probably adds a lot of value off the floor and in practice being a captain and stuff.
    He did better from three in the second half of last season. He was only 3-15 from three (20.0 percent) the first ten games and 13-34 (38.2 percent) thereafter, getting a lot more shots when he started hitting.

Joey may get some points from K because he is a fierce competitor, almost pugnacious on the court.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Under the NBA radar, of course.
    Without saying.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    People seem to regard him as a shooter but he didn't seem to shoot well either.
    In addition to what Sagegrouse said (all of which I agree with), before this season, Joey was a career 40% three-point shooter (39.7%, to be more precise). If you like eye tests, his shooting form is also the best on the team.

If you watched the Louisville comeback from three seasons ago in real time and saw his leadership from the bench as that game unfolded, you’d be sold on Baker!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    In addition to what Sagegrouse said (all of which I agree with), before this season, Joey was a career 40% three-point shooter (39.7%, to be more precise). If you like eye tests, his shooting form is also the best on the team.
    Joey would benefit from spending and entire summer working out with JJ Redick.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    He did better from three in the second half of last season. He was only 3-15 from three (20.0 percent) the first ten games and 13-34 (38.2 percent) thereafter, getting a lot more shots when he started hitting.

Joey may get some points from K because he is a fierce competitor, almost pugnacious on the court.
    Gotcha that does make more sense. I won't hold last year performances against anyone really either it was just a strange year that wasn't very telling in my opinion. I didn't think Joey had a *bad* season relative to the overall team, but it is impressive the support he gets from fans, coaches and commentators. I figured there must be something a little beyond last year.

FWIW, Mark Williams is listed on Duke’s updated 2021-2022 roster on GoDuke.com ...