Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 94 of 94
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Jason, you eluded to this yesterday, that thinking about what college basketball has become is just a nightmare. And it is. A total nightmare. Because we can no longer look at a team in terms of progression and stability in the future. As it stands with the current parameters, college basketball is a year-by-year platform. My guess is that the staff took this into account, and calculated that Theo gives us the best chance to win THIS year, and I agree with that thought process. Is that throwing the future by the wayside? Yes, but the current landscape essentially forces you to do so. It forces you to look at each season in a vacuum.
    Yup. Good luck to college basketball.

    The model was already breaking in 2019. COVID finally broke it. The NCAA made it worse.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I think I admitted I was wrong in the other thread. But if not, I was wrong. Though you didn't copy a key part of my post (which must have taken you quite a while to find). I was also trying to play devil's advocate to some members of the know-it-all brigade who insist on seeing the world in black and white rather than shades of gray...
    I think you’re missing the point of your own phrase “long story, short.” You summarized your own post, so I used that in the interest of efficiency. Keep trying to justify your position all you like—by your own standard you were wrong and you should just leave it at that.

    And I hear you—there are lots of know it alls on this board. You have to know which ones to listen to

    (BTW the other thread was many pages long by the time I got there. I thought perhaps you had admitted it there, but I was skimming quickly. And my call out was meant in good fun. Not very often someone goes on a limb! You got got on this one

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I think you’re missing the point of your own phrase “long story, short.” You summarized your own post, so I used that in the interest of efficiency. Keep trying to justify your position all you like—by your own standard you were wrong and you should just leave it at that.

    And I hear you—there are lots of know it alls on this board. You have to know which ones to listen to

    (BTW the other thread was many pages long by the time I got there. I thought perhaps you had admitted it there, but I was skimming quickly. And my call out was meant in good fun. Not very often someone goes on a limb! You got got on this one
    Was this post really necessary? Please get over yourself. You went to great lengths to do an "I told you so." I admitted I was wrong. Which puts me ahead of the majority of the folks here. You win. I lose. Dayenu.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Hillsborough,nc
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Yup. Good luck to college basketball.

    The model was already breaking in 2019. CtOVID finally broke it. The NCAA made it worse.
    Next we will be tweeting guys at halftime , ‘ hey , you want to play for DUKE next weekend ‘ ?

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Was this post really necessary? Please get over yourself. You went to great lengths to do an "I told you so." I admitted I was wrong. Which puts me ahead of the majority of the folks here. You win. I lose. Dayenu.
    genug? (A Tribe comment)

  6. #86

    A Neat Article

    https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...ki/7365833002/



    Apparently Theo didn't talk to Wojo until after he already decided on Duke. In the article he also says he will wear 12 in honor of Wojo. Wojo was before my time and I know nothing about him but it is very cool to see how great a relationship he has with his players. Makes me proud to be a fan.

  7. #87

    Curious article

    Theo was ready to go pro overseas, but covid is affecting Europe even more than the US, so that didn't seem to be an option. It makes sense to find a place that he can develop personally and athletically for a year before going pro, so he should do well at Duke. I also like the fact that the team expects to be in the hunt for a national championship next season, which will be a welcome change from this year.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...ki/7365833002/



    Apparently Theo didn't talk to Wojo until after he already decided on Duke. In the article he also says he will wear 12 in honor of Wojo. Wojo was before my time and I know nothing about him but it is very cool to see how great a relationship he has with his players. Makes me proud to be a fan.
    Money quote:
    John expects to arrive at Duke in July. He's also hoping Cameron Indoor Stadium will be back to its raucous, pre-pandemic atmosphere.
    "A lot of history has been made in that building," John said. "A lot of that speaks for itself. But they sold it as COVID was going to be over, so this will be more of the senior season that I dreamed of when I was younger."
    From his lips to God's ears!

    No word yet from Duke about football tickets for the fall, but being vaccinated I'm very hopeful of being in attendance come September, both in Wally Wade for games and in Blue Devil Alley for tailgating. And then in Cameron for basketball starting sometime in October or early November.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  9. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Money quote:

    From his lips to God's ears!

    No word yet from Duke about football tickets for the fall, but being vaccinated I'm very hopeful of being in attendance come September, both in Wally Wade for games and in Blue Devil Alley for tailgating. And then in Cameron for basketball starting sometime in October or early November.
    Right there with you OZ.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Money quote:

    From his lips to God's ears!

    No word yet from Duke about football tickets for the fall, but being vaccinated I'm very hopeful of being in attendance come September, both in Wally Wade for games and in Blue Devil Alley for tailgating. And then in Cameron for basketball starting sometime in October or early November.
    1) I hope we have football games
    2) I hope we have a watchable product on the field

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    1) I hope we have football games
    2) I hope we have a watchable product on the field
    Think #1 close to 100%. Not sure about #2.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    1) I hope we have football games
    2) I hope we have a watchable product on the field
    Ticket promo:

    Duke Football at Wallace Wade Stadium, where we understand social distancing

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickshaw View Post
    Next we will be tweeting guys at halftime , ‘ hey , you want to play for DUKE next weekend ‘ ?
    You joke but I wonder what happens over Christmas break this year if a team finds out in its non-conference schedule that they have a hole in their roster.

    I can imagine some coaches asking "Does anyone want to transfer to our university starting in January 2022 to fill our need for a (point guard, shooting guard, defensive specialist, shooter...)"

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    You joke but I wonder what happens over Christmas break this year if a team finds out in its non-conference schedule that they have a hole in their roster.

    I can imagine some coaches asking "Does anyone want to transfer to our university starting in January 2022 to fill our need for a (point guard, shooting guard, defensive specialist, shooter...)"
    I'm pretty sure the current rules don't allow immediate play for mid-year transfers.

Similar Threads

  1. Theo Pinson out indefinitely
    By gofurman in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-25-2016, 09:24 AM
  2. WBB: Duke v St John's - Fresno
    By -bdbd in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 05:47 PM
  3. NY Post: Duke Says No More St. John's
    By gotham devil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 01:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •