Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Welcome to Duke, Bates Jones!

Per https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...250704739.html
    Jones, a Charlotte native, will follow some large family footsteps at Duke. His older brother is former Duke star quarterback Daniel Jones, who was the No. 6 overall pick of the 2019 NFL draft and now starts for the New York Giants.

His younger sister, Ruthie, is currently the starting goalkeeper for the Duke women’s soccer team and was just named the ACC’s Defensive Player of the Week.
    Last edited by -jk; 04-15-2021 at 06:29 PM. Reason: clarity

practice body. not hard to figure. we have open schollies and we know k only plays 8 anyway

Certainly the weirdest Welcome to Duke thread we've had.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Bates Jones??

Umm...I don't understand...
    Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    It's like when a stranger on the sidewalk comes up to you and screams in your face. Do you try to follow up, or do you shrug your shoulders?

I tried to follow up.

Stephen Wiseman @stevewisemanNC

Teamed up with the incomparable @scott_fowler on this exclusive look at Duke's newest basketball roster addition. One family putting their stamp on three different
    @DukeATHLETICS sports.

5:12 PM · Apr 15, 2021

N&O: Duke basketball just landed a grad transfer from Davidson. You’ll know his brother

Jones, a Charlotte native, will follow some large family footsteps at Duke. His older brother is former Duke star quarterback Daniel Jones, who was the No. 6 overall pick of the 2019 NFL draft and now starts for the New York Giants.

His younger sister, Ruthie, is currently the starting goalkeeper for the Duke women’s soccer team and was just named the ACC’s Defensive Player of the Week.
    ETA: Thanks -jk for adding the link and apologizing for the stranger on the sidewalk.

Yep, the options for players who aren’t going to play is limited. I would prefer John to him, but maybe John wants to start. Or maybe we get both.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yep, the options for players who aren’t going to play is limited. I would prefer John to him, but maybe John wants to start. Or maybe we get both.
    Lots of space on the roster!

-jk

Always good to have great kids and families as part of the program, and the Jones kids and family are first class. Welcome young man.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Yea, my apologies I didn't mean the post to come off as mean. I just hadn't read anything about adding Bates. But welcome to the Brotherhood!!

Bates is Daniel Jones's Younger Brother

No further message
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Is he likely to be a pass first guy?

On a breakaway, will he speed down the court, and then stumble and fall as he nears the basket?

Well, we have had a fair amount of success in the past with guys named Jones.

wow...did we accidentally get the tarheel welcome wagon?

pay no attention to these sourpusses, bates....WELCOME TO DUKE
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I have to think the two aren’t mutually exclusive as they’d fill different roles. John may not start but he’d clearly be in line for PT. Jones is the “practice player” many around here have asked for. The fact that he’s had some experience playing for a mid major and thus would be a better “emergency body” than a walk-on or even a low tier freshman is a nice little bonus. As is the family legacy.

Love this, and hope it’s the first piece of good news in the coming days.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Lots of space on the roster!

-jk
    Yeah I doubt this influences any other rumored roster moves.

Welcome Bates!

I don't think I've ever heard of that as a first name before. I just think of the Bates Motel. Bates... Putting fear in his opponents. Maybe it's a family name.

In any event, grad student leadership in practices from a McKillop student can never hurt. Pretty amazing opportunity to learn under Coach K for a year and pick up a Duke graduate degree for free.

i noted on the women's soccer page that the Jones family father is named Steve Jones. Any chance that Ruthie, Bates and Daniel's grandfather is the Steve Jones who was an outstanding running back at Duke under Mike McGee and also had a nice NFL career?

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Welcome Bates!

I don't think I've ever heard of that as a first name before. I just think of the Bates Motel. Bates... Putting fear in his opponents. Maybe it's a family name.

In any event, grad student leadership in practices from a McKillop student can never hurt. Pretty amazing opportunity to learn under Coach K for a year and pick up a Duke graduate degree for free.
    And we know he has a pretty good undergraduate education, and attended class...(Davidson, and all that!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jedweb View Post
    i noted on the women's soccer page that the Jones family father is named Steve Jones. Any chance that Ruthie, Bates and Daniel's grandfather is the Steve Jones who was an outstanding running back at Duke under Mike McGee and also had a nice NFL career?
    No. Different Steve Joneses. I know that's hard to believe, given that Jones is such an unusual surname.

BTW, have we all forgotten former Carolina Hurricanes star Bates Battaglia?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    No. Different Steve Joneses. I know that's hard to believe, given that Jones is such an unusual surname.

BTW, have we all forgotten former Carolina Hurricanes star Bates Battaglia?
    His first name is Anthony. Bates is a nickname.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...s-jones-1.html
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...48/bates-jones

Welcome, Bates Jones.

Sure, he looks like a practice player/locker room presence (assuming COVID restrictions relax). But the roster is thin, and who knows if he busts his azz? It does look like he can hit a 3. In any case, another piece of the puzzle is in place.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.