Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yay Beer, Yay New Concessions, Yay Cashless

After countless posts criticizing Duke for its concessions failures and its alcohol avoidance, I am thrilled with the email I just received that Duke is shaking things up. It won't guarantee a full stadium but it will definitely remove some impediments.

"This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

"All bags and purses must be clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and no larger than 12" x 12" x 6". Small clutches/wallets smaller than 8" x 5" x 1" and one-gallon clear plastic storage bags are also permitted. Duke Stores merchandise bags require day-of receipt of purchase for entry. Guests with permitted bags containing medical and/or childcare needs may elect to use the designated Medical/Family Lane at each gate screening area.

All season ticket holders will receive two complimentary, Duke branded clear bags to use this season. Duke branded clear bags will be sold for $4 at the Duke Team Store, the University Store, the Lobby Shop and the East Campus Convenience Store and on game day at merchandise concessions stands throughout the concourse."
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I like this part.

Faster Entry Times
    Duke continues to strive to make getting to your seat as safely and easily as possible. New in 2021 will be upgraded technology that is coupled with the stadium clear bag policy that will make entry screening easier and faster for guests.

Fans are encouraged to keep cell phones, keys, and wallets in their pockets and/or in their clear bags as they walk through stadium entry points.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

All great news, except going cashless which I'm not a fan of even though I rarely use cash myself.

credit where credit is due.
    April 1

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    All great news, except going cashless which I'm not a fan of even though I rarely use cash myself.
    I like it. Speeds things up and is healthier.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

could be good news, but cash vs cashless is NOT the major problem. Our volunteer and confused workforce needs to be replaced by professionals who can service quickly and efficiently...maybe the new concession "partner" will provide that, one can hope, but it's not clear. I wish I had a recording of the concession bungletude exhibited at the Notre Dame game a few years ago, it was rather remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I like it. Speeds things up and is healthier.
    I hope they print that info in big letters on the tickets or there are potentially going to be a bunch of unhappy fans at the stadium when they go to buy something.

Aside from that, there are some...socioeconomic (adjacent) ramifications to going cashless, and I've seen several companies opt to go cashless and then walk it back as a result.

Of course there are also people who are opposed to the move to a cashless society on principle who won't be happy, although that obviously veers into PPB.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    could be good news, but cash vs cashless is NOT the major problem. Our volunteer and confused workforce needs to be replaced by professionals who can service quickly and efficiently...maybe the new concession "partner" will provide that, one can hope, but it's not clear. I wish I had a recording of the concession bungletude exhibited at the Notre Dame game a few years ago, it was rather remarkable.
    This post reminded me...unless Duke got new (faster) card readers this change probably makes the lines worse. Those things take forever​ to process.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I hope they print that info in big letters on the tickets or there are potentially going to be a bunch of unhappy fans at the stadium when they go to buy something.

Aside from that, there are some...socioeconomic (adjacent) ramifications to going cashless, and I've seen several companies opt to go cashless and then walk it back as a result.

Of course there are also people who are opposed to the move to a cashless society on principle who won't be happy, although that obviously veers into PPB.
    yep..anyone who automatically thinks cashless is faster or better ought to spend some time at one of the three NYC airports. Used to be you could go up to the pizza person, give them five bucks for a slice (if you're lucky) and off you go. No longer. Now you have to go to a terminal, grope your way thru the various nonsense, process your payment. What used to take seconds now takes minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    credit where credit is due.
    This comment really fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    This comment really fits the bill.
    But it doesn't really hold my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    But it doesn't really hold my interest.
    Is this topic up for debit?

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Is this topic up for debit?
    it's on tonight's card
    April 1

Hopefully this initiative is a sign of things to come in the Nina King regime. There's been a huge problem, hopefully this is a big step towards fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it's on tonight's card
    I have to give credit - there are some good ones here.

I haven't been to a game in 20+ years so I will defer to others here. The huge positive is that they at least seem to be making an effort to be responsive and make things better. Who knows if anything will actually change, but they are trying, and that is a good step forward. The key to implementing all of this is having enough staff and well trained staff.

As someone who keeps his dining options at sporting events as simple as possible (i.e. stick to the hot dogs, not the sushi), I got the e-mail and saw the pictures of the "culinary concession features" and the first thought that went through my head was that when someone is trying to put together these delectable delights, it is going to take them forever when all I want is for them to quickly hand me my dog and bottle of water.

Hopefully all of the fancy stuff will be at separate locations and will not siphon off lots of resources so that they can quickly process those who want to keep things simple. I can just imagine myself getting really annoyed standing in the 95 degree heat behind someone scratching their chin and pondering what toppings they want on their artisan burger while I just want some water to hydrate myself.

CNC, I would recommend you not step foot in the new west campus dining facility. It looks like an Apple Store crossed with a five star restaurant. As someone who lived through moldy sandwiches from the vending machines in Teer and the D rating of the grease shack in Trent, it’s a bit overwhelming.

CNC, I would recommend you not step foot in the new west campus dining facility. It looks like an Apple Store crossed with a five star restaurant. As someone who lived through moldy sandwiches from the vending machines in Teer and the D rating of the grease shack in Trent, it’s a bit overwhelming.
    The new union blows my mind...yeah, completely disorienting with respect to historical Duke dining.

I hate waiting in lines and have zero patience. I used to periodically go for lunch with colleagues to a Subway near my office. While waiting in line for 5-10 minutes, I would figure out what I wanted so that I was ready to go when it was my turn. Other people get to the front of the line then start figuring out what they want (even though they go to Subway a few times a week and know very well what they want). They then start counting out exactly how many olives they want like they are ordering a fine steak. They take the "fast" out of "fast food."

I was there at my last reunion several years ago and agree that it was overwhelming. I think the arms race to provide college students with 5 star amenities is ridiculous. Keep it simple and have places like the Oak Room for the occasional splurge. I sat next to plenty of future CEOs and professional athletes eating rotini with tomato sauce at the Rat, Burger King or a sandwich or salad at the CI and it didn't hold them back in life.

Now get off my lawn!