Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Congrats to Nolan Smith!

Nolan Smith has been officially promoted to Assistant Coach. This is an expected and well-deserved honor for Coach Smith. I look forward to him on the sidelines, helping to guide the young men of the program.

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1382695313371242502

Nolan Smith promoted to Men’s Basketball Assistant Coach

The people’s champ gets a well deserved promotion ...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasss!

Amazing news! My single favorite Dukie moving up in the world!

With his charm and likeability, I'm expecting him to a great recruiter
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Sweet! Congratulations Mr. Smith!

https://goduke.com/news/2021/4/15/me...ant-coach.aspx
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Next step: hire Singler, Lance and Zoubs so that our entire staff is made up of the 2010 title winning starting lineup

Congrats to Nolan!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I did not appreciate that Nolan was not allowed to recruit as director of operations but that makes sense.

Now that he’s on the recruiting trail, watch out! He will be a major force with his charisma and credentials. There may not be a better person to sell recruits and their families on the value of joining the Duke family.

Congrats Nolan.

Looking forward to seeing him sport the Duke blue tie that the coaches wear, with his own dash of style!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Congrats Nolan!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Congratulations Nolan. I'm confident you will be terrific in your new dig.

GoDuke!

Amazing for Nolan! He will be a killer coach!

As a side note, who do we see stepping in as the new Director of Basketball Ops?

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Amazing for Nolan! He will be a killer coach!

As a side note, who do we see stepping in as the new Director of Basketball Ops?
    Wojo is available, but I see him maybe wanting to be a head coach somewhere else.

I think it may be a younger guy and most likely a former player. Tyler Thornton is currently an assistant coach at Howard and seems to be doing well there but maybe he could be convinced to come to Duke?

For those of you who don't read the front page.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-carrawell-acc

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...ams-nate-james

Man this is bad... who is manning things over at The Chronicle these days?

Article predicated on: "Lost in a flurry of roster movement has been how Mike Krzyzewski plans to replace the departed Nate James, the only assistant coach Krzyzewski's had with playing experience as a big man since Jay Bilas coached in the early 1990s.”

Nate James was a shooting guard/small forward, not a big man. It's well know he played bigger in high school, but that is a stretch. Really weak.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

So happy for Nolan Smith...one of the most beloved Blue Devils of all time and for good reason. Well deserved promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...ams-nate-james

Man this is bad... who is manning things over at The Chronicle these days?

Article predicated on: "Lost in a flurry of roster movement has been how Mike Krzyzewski plans to replace the departed Nate James, the only assistant coach Krzyzewski's had with playing experience as a big man since Jay Bilas coached in the early 1990s.”

Nate James was a shooting guard/small forward, not a big man. It's well know he played bigger in high school, but that is a stretch. Really weak.
    James did play some power forward as a freshman on that under-sized 1997 team. But, you're right, after that he was a perimeter player.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    James did play some power forward as a freshman on that under-sized 1997 team. But, you're right, after that he was a perimeter player.
    Boozer and Battier were the bigs on the 2000 and 2001 teams. James was a wing who would play alongside Dunleavy, JWill, Duhon and CWell. When Duke needed a big man off the bench, it was Sanders, Horvath, Christiansen, and Love.

Calling the 6-5 or 6-6 James a "big man" is misplaced, IMO.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Boozer and Battier were the bigs on the 2000 and 2001 teams. James was a wing who would play alongside Dunleavy, JWill, Duhon and CWell. When Duke needed a big man off the bench, it was Sanders, Horvath, Christiansen, and Love.

Calling the 6-5 or 6-6 James a "big man" is misplaced, IMO.
    I remember Nate hitting a few corner jumpers in his playing days but he surely wasn't a big for Duke.

GoDuke!

Great coach in the making

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    For those of you who don't read the front page.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-carrawell-acc
    Great article, Jim! thanks.

Loved this part:

Smith was asked to prepare a scouting report on Coach Nolan Smith.

“I’m fearless,” he responded. “Because I’m not going to hold back what a player needs to hear in order to make them great. I think that’s going to be a strength of mine. These players need to hear the truth. Sometimes a player might not like to hear the truth. You can tell them that and if they know it’s coming from a great place, if it’s coming from your heart, they’ll ultimately listen.”

Areas of concern?

“I wouldn’t say I have a weakness yet, because I’m not sure. But I know as a coach, when it comes to scouting, recruiting, I’m new in this game. It’s my first day on the job. But I know my work ethic. My love for this game, my passion for this game, has been there since a very young age. I’m going to continue to learn.”

My view is that Nolan will be a killer recruiter. I had just one brief encounter with Nolan and came away with the solid impression is that he is a deeply humble and confident person, comfortable in his skin and with great character. We're in very good hands.

I also loved hearing that Coach K told Nolan, "Be you, son." What respectful, gracious, empowering guidance! Wish more people had that kind of manager.

This will be fun watching Nolan blossom and contribute.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Fantastic news!!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

I look at this video and I just cannot help but smile -- https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1446246572841480202

I know this is his first stint as a full assistant, but I think we should really savor our time with Nolan on the bench... cause I suspect some other program is going to come calling for him in a few years.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?