Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Wasn't there some sort of bet about Matt Hurt getting drafted before Isiah Stewart? Whoever took the Hurt side of that... umm... wasn't correct.

It's a shame that Hurt's lack of athleticism put a ceiling on his draft stock and NBA potential. He's gonna need to spend a LOT of time working on his body to hopefully someday become a useful role player in the NBA.

It's surprising to me that he didn't arrive at the combine in better shape, when he had spent the previous summer improving his body and did it while quarantined in his parent's home and working out in their garage. That took a lot of commitment, and I expected the trend to continue. His combine performance including the 5 on 5's certainly didn't help his draft stock, and it sounds like his summer league play wasn't enough either. There's still time for him to find a spot but he's going to have to do something drastically differently and it seems likely he'll be finding a career overseas.

As far as why he didn't return for his junior year, my guess is that he felt that coming back to college wouldn't really change anything. Yes he could have improved his body some but his inherent weaknesses would still be there. I wish him the best, he really carried our team this past season under difficult circumstances.

??

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Played 119 games in the league over 4 seasons and earned close to $9 mil.
    Not sure I get the point on this one...poking at someone who is fit enough to play ball in the NBA, regardless of their weight, doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Not sure I get the point on this one...poking at someone who is fit enough to play ball in the NBA, regardless of their weight, doesn't make much sense to me.
    I think the point was he could have had a career. 119 games is barely a season and a half, and he didn't play past his rookie contract.

Plus he only averaged about 16 minutes/game. Not a good showing for a lottery pick.

But good money if you can take it.

Poking fun at players from UNC always makes sense, regardless of context.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I think the point was he could have had a career. 119 games is barely a season and a half, and he didn't play past his rookie contract.

Plus he only averaged about 16 minutes/game. Not a good showing for a lottery pick.

But good money if you can take it.

Thanks much. Who wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Even then, setting the bar so low seems an unenergetic exercise, at least for an adult mind.

It's surprising to me that he didn't arrive at the combine in better shape, when he had spent the previous summer improving his body and did it while quarantined in his parent's home and working out in their garage. That took a lot of commitment, and I expected the trend to continue. His combine performance including the 5 on 5's certainly didn't help his draft stock, and it sounds like his summer league play wasn't enough either. There's still time for him to find a spot but he's going to have to do something drastically differently and it seems likely he'll be finding a career overseas.

As far as why he didn't return for his junior year, my guess is that he felt that coming back to college wouldn't really change anything. Yes he could have improved his body some but his inherent weaknesses would still be there. I wish him the best, he really carried our team this past season under difficult circumstances.
    well, he could be playing basketball and making bank on nil... but hindsight.

In a discussion about players who were not exactly in great shape having success in the NBA I brought up a guy who was notorious for being overweight and how much money he earned (despite not playing all that much due to injuries and eating too many buffets). I appologize if that confused you. I thought it was pretty obvious and the picture made it a little bit funny too.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Eloquence sporks.

In a discussion about players who were not exactly in great shape having success in the NBA I brought up a guy who was notorious for being overweight and how much money he earned (despite not playing all that much due to injuries and eating too many buffets). I appologize if that confused you. I thought it was pretty obvious and the picture made it a little bit funny too.
    My only problem with that post is that too many people who replied to it included the picture.

I didn't need to see it more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    My only problem with that post is that too many people who replied to it included the picture.

I didn't need to see it more than once.
    Maybe each reply could include a different image of Sean May...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Wasn't there some sort of bet about Matt Hurt getting drafted before Isiah Stewart? Whoever took the Hurt side of that... umm... wasn't correct.

It's a shame that Hurt's lack of athleticism put a ceiling on his draft stock and NBA potential. He's gonna need to spend a LOT of time working on his body to hopefully someday become a useful role player in the NBA.
    Yep that was me.

Never got my pie though . . . 2nd time out of 3 pie bets that I have won with no pie

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    My only problem with this is that the picture is like 5 miles wide on mobile.

(Hence, this is not a solution)
    Maybe each reply could include a different image of Sean May...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    My only problem with this is that the picture is like 5 miles wide on mobile.

(Hence, this is not a solution)
    That is the minimum size for any picture of Sean May.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    well, he could be playing basketball and making bank on nil... but hindsight.
    Realistically how much "bank" would Hurt, a player who wasn't drafted and isn't a household name outside of Tobacco Road, being making via NIL versus how much he'd be making in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    Realistically how much "bank" would Hurt, a player who wasn't drafted and isn't a household name outside of Tobacco Road, being making via NIL versus how much he'd be making in Europe?
    precious little.

On a related note, how much PT was he guaranteed for this year at Duke - he was kind of recruited over with Banchero coming in. He was a very talented college player so I'm sure that he would have found plenty of minutes, but I'm not sure if he would have been able to really showcase himself.

Hurt was a great contributor to Duke and represented the University well - I am hoping for the best for him.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    precious little.
    Players aren't really making that much overseas, and they certainly aren't going to break the bank for Hurt at this stage of his career. I think you're underestimating how much NIL opportunity there is going to be for anyone who plays more than spot minutes at Duke (although as has been mentioned, Hurt didn't know that we would have NIL this year when he decided to go pro, I think I mentioned or saw it mentioned here but they really should have given early entrants a late opportunity to withdraw when that change was made).

I'm also not sure I would want to hang my plans on international travel for sports in the Pandemic climate (and we've seen plenty of guys who didn't stick in an international league simply because living overseas without friends or family just isn't always quite as fun as it sounds even without​ pandemic related measures and restrictions).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Players aren't really making that much overseas, and they certainly aren't going to break the bank for Hurt at this stage of his career. I think you're underestimating how much NIL opportunity there is going to be for anyone who plays more than spot minutes at Duke (although as has been mentioned, Hurt didn't know that we would have NIL this year when he decided to go pro, I think I mentioned or saw it mentioned here but they really should have given early entrants a late opportunity to withdraw when that change was made).

I'm also not sure I would want to hang my plans on international travel for sports in the Pandemic climate (and we've seen plenty of guys who didn't stick in an international league simply because living overseas without friends or family just isn't always quite as fun as it sounds even without​ pandemic related measures and restrictions).
    https://www.tuko.co.ke/410404-top-10...gues-2021.html

genial disagreement! This site notes that the average European salary is in the $500k - $800k range with top players making several million per year...I think this affords Hurt a better opportunity. CLick on the $500k-$800k link and you can see salaries by league.